Benq BL3200PT (32" 1440p)

Well it's MVA so it will always be superior to IPSes for any usage that don't need perfect color accuracy.

This monitor sounds amazing! Pcmonitors will also be reviewing according to Twitter. Might have to save up for this and finally replace my EW30.

I have the TFTCentral review and while this monitor is great it's not so ideal for gaming due to the lag and pixel response which is disappointing. I saw this monitor as an ideal upgrade since it matched the size of a 32" TV with the resolution of my 27" monitor, with no flicker, no IPS glow and great black levels. Just not sure how noticeable the blurring and lag would be for me but I am tempted to buy from Amazon once they get stock here in Germany.

as far as i can say, it's not worse than the dell u2913wm i am using for gaming now, in terms of pixel response and lag. i don't use game mode on this either, so it seems like a very good upgrade for me, i don't want to shell out 900+ euro for the 21:9 LG and this one is under 600 here, might as well go for it. gonna wait for PCM2 to review it thugh.

as far as i can say, it's not worse than the dell u2913wm i am using for gaming now, in terms of pixel response and lag. i don't use game mode on this either, so it seems like a very good upgrade for me, i don't want to shell out 900+ euro for the 21:9 LG and this one is under 600 here, might as well go for it. gonna wait for PCM2 to review it thugh.

The price is tempting, that's for sure. Especially considering it's around 300 EUR cheaper than the LG 34UM95 and Dell U3014. I'm currently suffering from eye strain from my PB278Q so I'm eager to replace it.

I have the TFTCentral review and while this monitor is great it's not so ideal for gaming due to the lag and pixel response which is disappointing. I saw this monitor as an ideal upgrade since it matched the size of a 32" TV with the resolution of my 27" monitor, with no flicker, no IPS glow and great black levels. Just not sure how noticeable the blurring and lag would be for me but I am tempted to buy from Amazon once they get stock here in Germany.

If those bother you then your only choice is 144Hz TN screen

If those bother you then your only choice is 144Hz TN screen

Well, my PB278Q has a lag of 16/17ms compared with the 23ms of the BL3200PT and the Asus does not bother me so I guess the lag is a none issue after all for me. So, it now comes down to the pixel response, that's it. I'll pick one up as soon as Amazon has stock and give it a chance.

I was excited about your review until you compared it to a 30" Korean. That's not a good recommendation around here. Can you please let us know if it is better than your Korean 30"?

What's wrong with a 30" Korean?
Good value for what you get in my opinion.

and the dell u3014 is 400 dollars more then the benq. And even if they where the same price I would get the benq anyways

What's wrong with a 30" Korean?
Good value for what you get in my opinion.

Lots of things... They are wide gamut or CCFL. They have extremely low contrast ratios. I haven't seen a single one that looks any good on paper. Then again I haven't seen a single one in person, either.

Lots of things... They are wide gamut or CCFL. They have extremely low contrast ratios. I haven't seen a single one that looks any good on paper. Then again I haven't seen a single one in person, either.

Well. I love my Korean.
Sorry you don't like them even though you've never seen one in person.

I guess maybe it shows that seeing and using products can be more valuable than just looking at the specs page on a website sometimes.

To each their own I guess.

Well. I love my Korean.
Sorry you don't like them even though you've never seen one in person.

I guess maybe it shows that seeing and using products can be more valuable than just looking at the specs page on a website sometimes.

To each their own I guess.

It also maybe shows that doing research on products before you buy them is a good idea. Since I did, and I knew better than to order a 30" from Korea that I couldn't send back if it sucked, I passed. Anyway, is your 30" Korean better than the BL3200PT? That was my question.

It also maybe shows that doing research on products before you buy them is a good idea. Since I did, and I knew better than to order a 30" from Korea that I couldn't send back if it sucked, I passed. Anyway, is your 30" Korean better than the BL3200PT? That was my question.

First of all, you absolutely can send a Korean monitor back if you buy from a seller that offers that. Mine had that available at the time I bought mine (almost 2 years ago now).

Re: the BenQ. I am really not sure if one is better or not as I only saw the BenQ at my friends house. It seemed very nice to me and I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.

That said, nothing about it made me want to replace my Korean monitor.

Would I buy the Korean over the BenQ now? No. But when I bought my Korean 30" it was a revelation in quality for the price. That's not the case now.

If anyone is considering either or at this time, I'd definitely get this BenQ.

First of all, you absolutely can send a Korean monitor back if you buy from a seller that offers that.
Yes and pay 150 dollars to ship it from US to Korea. I said it sucked, not it's defective. No Korean reseller is going to pay for return shipping and give you a refund because your 30" PWM monitor makes your eyes water, or is actually 10-bit and you don't have the proper hardware to drive it. Thus, your greens may be completely off 100% of the time and you don't even know it.

I suspect the BL3200PT has some serious issues with uneven and slow pixel response (as do pretty much all AMVA) but at least it has it's own Look-Up-Table and is 8-bit+FRC instead of 10-bit ARGB with no menu to adjust anything with.

Yes and pay 150 dollars to ship it from US to Korea. I said it sucked, not it's defective. No Korean reseller is going to pay for return shipping and give you a refund because your 30" PWM monitor makes your eyes water, or is actually 10-bit and you don't have the proper hardware to drive it. Thus, your greens may be completely off 100% of the time and you don't even know it.

I suspect the BL3200PT has some serious issues with uneven and slow pixel response (as do pretty much all AMVA) but at least it has it's own Look-Up-Table and is 8-bit+FRC instead of 10-bit ARGB with no menu to adjust anything with.

You seem really upset for some reason. Not sure why.

There's no right or wrong answer or argument to win here. Just personal preferences.
I enjoy my Korean 30 and have for 2 years. I'm sorry that bothers you so much.

We will have to agree to disagree. Mine looks great and works wonderfully.

Have a good night.

According to the TFTCentral review and full panel sheet the BL3200PT is 10-bit native.

there's quite a few other 10-bit panels around, but TFTCentral have referenced the panel spec sheet for the panel used in the BL3200PT which apparently lists 10-bit / 1.07b colours and makes no mention of FRC

there's quite a few other 10-bit panels around, but TFTCentral have referenced the panel spec sheet for the panel used in the BL3200PT which apparently lists 10-bit / 1.07b colours and makes no mention of FRC

http://pcmonitors.info/benq/benq-bl3200pt-va-with-2560-x-1440-resolution

As mentioned above the screen uses a VA panel with 2560 x 1440 resolution. More specifically a 32” AU Optronics AMVA+ panel (M320DVN01.0). This has a very light matte anti-glare screen surface (‘semi-glossy’), runs at 60Hz and gives a typical maximum brightness output of 300 cd/m2. A 3000:1 typical static contrast ratio is specified alongside 178° horizontal and vertical viewing angles. BenQ employs DC (Direct Current) rather than PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) to regulate the backlight brightness of the WLED backlight – in other words, it’s flicker-free. They also include ‘Low Blue Light’ modes and an ‘Eye Protect Sensor’ (ambient light sensor to regulate brightness automatically) to try to maximise visual comfort as much as possible. The monitor provides comprehensive coverage of the sRGB colour space but does not offer Adobe RGB coverage or coverage of other extended colour spaces. It supports true 8-bits per subpixel colour output with additional FRC dithering to bring this up to 10-bit per channel (1.07 billion colours).

that's a new piece from when the product was announced and an assumption made by PCmonitors. To be fair, thats a reasonable assumption when you see a 1.07b colour depth on any screen really. however, TFTCentral have the actual panel spec sheet for the M320DVN01.0 panel. that is what is being referenced and they state in their review that the panel spec sheet doesn't mention FRC at all.

in fact, see here. panel spec sheet doesn't mention FRC at all. normally they will mention it specifically or list 8-bit+FRC

that's a new piece from when the product was announced and an assumption made by PCmonitors. To be fair, thats a reasonable assumption when you see a 1.07b colour depth on any screen really. however, TFTCentral have the actual panel spec sheet for the M320DVN01.0 panel. that is what is being referenced and they state in their review that the panel spec sheet doesn't mention FRC at all.

in fact, see here. panel spec sheet doesn't mention FRC at all. normally they will mention it specifically or list 8-bit+FRC

That article is listed as being written May 8th. WTF?

I dropped the damn dollar for the TFTcentral review:

Standard gamut ~sRGB
79% NTSC, 100% sRGB, 78.0%
Adobe RGB
There's your proof. It's standard frikkin gamut. Because Benq wouldn't put out a CAD /CAM monitor that was wide gamut.
And no the Dell is not the only 10-bit panel under 1500 dollars because most of the Korean 30s are wide-gamut, which is a big part of why they suck, besides just sucking for 10-bit panels. The Dell sucks as it is, and where do you think they are getting the panels from>?

EDIT: take my crappy attitude with a grain of salt OK? I've had a 2 week long headache and if it isn't being caused by my new Qnix, IDK what's up. It's PWM free as far as I can tell, so I have a Dr APT, but yeah I am pretty foul to argue with at the moment, my apologies. :(

Not pissed that people get confused about colorspace... I'm learning about this stuff now so it's fresh in my mind. What irritates me is how vague the manufacturers are about all this. The Korean monitor market loves pulling tricks like this on unsuspecting people. I'm not trying to bait anyone about 30" monitors. This same argument gets had over and over on this forum because it sucks to find out your monitor is the wrong color space for your video card and it's SUCH an easy mistake to make. Does it matter if someone has the wrong type of monitor if they are blissfully ignorant about it? It matters to me. I create content and I want it seen in the correct colorspace.

We're learning about some genetic differences in the way people see. There are interior decorators and photo-editors who are at the top of their field who are being confirmed to have a gene that allows them to see shades that normal people cannot. Not coincidental. They end up in the color business because they are good at it. I find color to be intensely important--not sure why, but I tend to have a very difficult time discerning between black and dark colors of any shade--but I am not colorblind in any of the traditional ways. I would venture to say I have bad night vision. Anyway, it makes it very important for a monitor to have excellent shading and color depth. Until recently I just assumed nothing but a VA or CRT could satisfy--as it turns out cheap Korean 27" monitors often have excellent color, though. The problem with ARGB and native 10-bit panels is that they usually do not have any way to process 8-bit content correctly. More expensive graphics professional monitors sometimes include multiple configurable LUTs for processing different colorspace material.

But what we WANT on the gamer/web side is 8-bit+FRC matrices. And that's what the BL3200PT is. It offers more gradients than pure 8-bit, but the 1.07Billion colors spec is not actually being reached and the hardware to accommodate it is not necessary.

Last edited:
That article is listed as being written May 8th. WTF?

it doesnt matter when the PCmonitors article was written. they've made an assumption of the spec because most screens advertised as supporting 1.07b colours are actually using 8-bit+FRC panels. they havent based that on any actual confirmation or spec from anywhere. If you see the panel spec sheet link i provided, that is where it lists 10-bit colour depth for the 1.07b colours, and doesn't mention FRC anywhere. Most panel spec sheets will specifically mention FRC somewhere or specifically list 8-bit+FRC. that one doesnt, which is presumably what TFTCentral are referencing as well.

See:

http://www.panelook.com/M320DVN01.0_...iew_20534.html 8-bit +FRC

I'm certain the Dell U3014 is the only 10-bit screen under $1500.

that doesn't prove anything. that's a random third party website listing panel specs and hosting spec sheets. it's not a definitive spec or guide. the full panel spec sheet from AUO would be the only source of confirmation. there is of course the chance that the AUO spec sheet wasn't finalised (indeed that version i linked was a prelim sheet), or that they omitted the mention of FRC in error, but based on that info in that spec sheet, it suggests it's a 10-bit panel without FRC at the moment. personally i think that's probably not right, given it's a standard gamut backlight and so makes 10-bit a bit pointless, but that's the firmest information available at the moment.

There's your proof. It's standard frikkin gamut.

that confirms the backlight colour spec, but not the colour depth providing the 1.07b specified colour depth. although 10-bit support is rather pointless on standard gamut screens anyway i agree :)

that confirms the backlight colour spec, but not the colour depth providing the 1.07b specified colour depth. although 10-bit support is rather pointless on standard gamut screens anyway i agree :)

Sure if you like looking at gradients after calibration then 8 bits are enough ;)

ordered one today from a local web store. they don't currently stock it, but the store said that they can get it within a week or so. will report with some crappy phone pictures when i get it.

price is 578 EUR, which is quite ok, if you ask me.

Last edited:
The review is very accurate. The image quality is great. No pixel issues whatsoever. There is no back light bleed at all. Blacks are just that, very black. Sitting half a meter away everything is clear and sharp. Text is very sharp and more easily readable due to the slight increase in pixel size compared to my AOC Q2770. I am not a professional gamer but I did play some Half Life 2 and Bioshock and didn't notice any problems with lag, ghosting or overshoot. Then again I'm over 50 and wear eyeglasses so I see ghosting when my wife walks by. Compared to any of the monitors I've owned over the years including a U3011, 2713HM, Q2770PQU, PB278Q, EV2736W and NEC272W this unit is very enjoyable to use. I tried the recommended adjustments to gamma and brightness from the TftCentral review and they helped greatly compared to the out of the box settings. If you sit very close to the monitor, <1M or so there is very little VA glow in the corners but it is far better than any of the ips or pls monitors I have owned including the Eizo. That is to be expected with a 32" when sitting too close even for a VA panel. Bottom line, I really like this monitor. Virtually no glow, no bleed, great color and sharpness make it a great all around monitor for me. Well worth the $699 I paid. It is now my main monitor and the AOC Q2770 is now my spare.

Many thanks Feklar, this is exactly what I was hoping to hear.

I dropped the damn dollar for the TFTcentral review:

There's your proof. It's standard frikkin gamut. Because Benq wouldn't put out a CAD /CAM monitor that was wide gamut.
And no the Dell is not the only 10-bit panel under 1500 dollars because most of the Korean 30s are wide-gamut, which is a big part of why they suck, besides just sucking for 10-bit panels. The Dell sucks as it is, and where do you think they are getting the panels from>?

EDIT: take my crappy attitude with a grain of salt OK? I've had a 2 week long headache and if it isn't being caused by my new Qnix, IDK what's up. It's PWM free as far as I can tell, so I have a Dr APT, but yeah I am pretty foul to argue with at the moment, my apologies. :(

Not pissed that people get confused about colorspace... I'm learning about this stuff now so it's fresh in my mind. What irritates me is how vague the manufacturers are about all this. The Korean monitor market loves pulling tricks like this on unsuspecting people. I'm not trying to bait anyone about 30" monitors. This same argument gets had over and over on this forum because it sucks to find out your monitor is the wrong color space for your video card and it's SUCH an easy mistake to make. Does it matter if someone has the wrong type of monitor if they are blissfully ignorant about it? It matters to me. I create content and I want it seen in the correct colorspace.

We're learning about some genetic differences in the way people see. There are interior decorators and photo-editors who are at the top of their field who are being confirmed to have a gene that allows them to see shades that normal people cannot. Not coincidental. They end up in the color business because they are good at it. I find color to be intensely important--not sure why, but I tend to have a very difficult time discerning between black and dark colors of any shade--but I am not colorblind in any of the traditional ways. I would venture to say I have bad night vision. Anyway, it makes it very important for a monitor to have excellent shading and color depth. Until recently I just assumed nothing but a VA or CRT could satisfy--as it turns out cheap Korean 27" monitors often have excellent color, though. The problem with ARGB and native 10-bit panels is that they usually do not have any way to process 8-bit content correctly. More expensive graphics professional monitors sometimes include multiple configurable LUTs for processing different colorspace material.

But what we WANT on the gamer/web side is 8-bit+FRC matrices. And that's what the BL3200PT is. It offers more gradients than pure 8-bit, but the 1.07Billion colors spec is not actually being reached and the hardware to accommodate it is not necessary.

LOL. It's all good. We feel your pain coming through.
Sorry you're not feeling well....that sucks always.

You going bananas about the Koreans made me order a BL3200pt so I can try the BenQ side by side and hopefully learn something. :)

IMHO if you gonna dish out almost 1000 on a monitor why not wait for prices to drop on 4ks and then OC the hell out of the refresh rate?

ordered one today from a local web store. they don't currently stock it, but the store said that they can get it within a week or so. will report with some crappy phone pictures when i get it.

price is 578 EUR, which is quite ok, if you ask me.

Nice price. Which store is that?

Well I just bought one from Amazon. I used a westinghouse 37" forever and now I'm playing ring around the rosey with my computer dispays. ZR30w, tried a Korean X-Star, back to the Zr30w, now this one. Always wanted a slightly oversized >1080p display. The 27" and even my 30" have to be excessively in my face for reading. I mean I have good eyesight but its just too small for me. Maybe just against what I was used to!

$1k?

Was $710 with free 2 day shipping from Amazon.

Is it 1k overseas somewhere?

Yes I know but 700 is almost 1k dude lol

I sure as hell cant afford that but if I could and was going to dish out m oney for an expensive monitor Id definatly just say F it and go 4K glory.

Yes I know but 700 is almost 1k dude lol

I sure as hell cant afford that but if I could and was going to dish out m oney for an expensive monitor Id definatly just say F it and go 4K glory.

Huh?

$700 to $1000 is a huge jump and the "actually good" 4K panels are over $2k (or over 3 times the cost of this BenQ).

LOL. It's all good. We feel your pain coming through.
Sorry you're not feeling well....that sucks always.

You going bananas about the Koreans made me order a BL3200pt so I can try the BenQ side by side and hopefully learn something. :)

You rock. :D I don't even know which 30" you have so I would definitely like to hear what you think when you get them side by side. I readily admit I haven't ever seen one so I shouldn't say they suck. I tend to like most of the displays I test even if they have flaws. I do hope you like the Benq and thanks very much for the kind words.

To whoever suggested we overclock a 4k monitor. We'd love to. It's not possible at the moment we're still trying to get stable overclocks on 1440p monitors.

Back