Behind Mobo Fan Questions

Veratek

Weaksauce
On the cooler master 590 and the 690 there is a vent directly behind the CPU area on the mother board for a thin fan to be added. I have a great little fan for the spot, originally part of a cpu cooler on a very old rig, and it's actually cooler master brand :cool:

It seems like really high rpm, and I have it mounted as intake, so that tons of cool air is lapping against the back of the mobo, is that ideal over exhausting?

I was also thinking that this fan is really quite strong, is all that back pressure going to screw with my case airflow? :confused: because its tunneling lots of air into that 1/4'' gap between the tray and mobo.

Pic for reference
IMG_7294ze.jpg

Cant hurt but unless there is an external vent right at that fans intake (would be on the right side panel which would be unusual) you are just moving around air already in the case. If there is a vent on the right side I would still have it intake and pushing air toward the back of the board like you are thinking, it will be good for the the CPU and even more importantly the CPU voltage regulator circuitry in that area. However the board does not conduct a lot of heat to the backside and I would probably do a 7V mod on the fan to slow it down a bit and make it quieter as you mentioned it is really high rpm. You just need air movement back there not a hurricane.

So as to airflow of the entire system it depends if it has an outside vent right behind it, probably no, and if so it wont bother a thing, help some maybe and certainly cant hurt. Double bonus points if you are running a quad core.

I'm definitely doing a 7v mod, its the loudest component in the case. And there is an external vent on the case panel, and it is a quad core :)

so that's good to hear, thanks for the info.

From the Cooler Master CM690 FAQ (on their support tab)
Question
Is the 80mm fan behind the motherboard supposed to be blowing air into CM 690?

Answer
No, it's for exhaust air.

I have mine as an exhaust, on a controller. It lowered temps in that area by ~3-5*C.

Back