• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Beginner looking for Digi Cam reccommendations..

Zarathustra[H]

Extremely [H]
2FA
Joined
Oct 29, 2000
Messages
42,412
I've been poking around quite a bit, but I'm havign a hard time coming to any kind of conclusion regarding what digital camera to get.

I'm pretty much a beginner to photography, but I'd want something more than a point and shoot tourist cam. Doubt I want to get into the expensive business of a full SLR though..

My poking around has led me to believe that the Canon Powershot S1 IS might be the camera for me.

Its a little low on the resolution side with only 3.2 megapixels, but I doubt I'll need any more than that anyway...

It seems to make up for it with a great 10x optical zoom lens with image stabilization that seems to have some good quality to it.

I also like the full 30fps video mode...

I was reading the review I linked above, but unfortunately most of it is mumbojumbo to me..

Anyone care to give me their opinion of this camera in laymans terms?
 
A few things to know can help us help you better. =]

What's the reason you want a camera now? Is it you want to take it with you when you're out with friends. Do you like taking indoor shots of people or little ones. Sports, animals, small objects...etc etc. What are your interests?

For me I liked and still like everything. So I'm not trying to tell you to pick any of those.

A budget guestimate could also help us find you a nice camera depending on your needs. Be sure to post up any questions you have so that we can help you make a more informed buying decision. ;)

These links might help you some.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/read_opinions.asp?prodkey=canon_s1is - people just like you
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/s1is.html
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/powershot_s1-review/index.shtml
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/S1IS/canon-powershot-s1-IS-A.HTM
http://www.shortcourses.com/choosing/contents.htm
http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/glossary/ photography terms

That should hold ya over for a little bit. :p

~Adam
 
Emberghost said:
A few things to know can help us help you better. =]
What's the reason you want a camera now? Is it you want to take it with you when you're out with friends. Do you like taking indoor shots of people or little ones. Sports, animals, small objects...etc etc. What are your interests?

Thank you very much for your help. I think the following best describes why I am interested in a camera.

I'm really not all that interested in "memory shots" although any camera I buy will undoubtedly serve that purpose as well.

I guess what I am looking for is a good all-around camera. Something I can point and click with if I need to, but has a few options in there for me to take nicer shots as I learn how to use it properly.

I think the three largest targets of my camera would be as follows:
- Pretty natural scenery in and around Rhode Island (bridges, beaches, etc.)
- Something to take pictures with at track days (cars, both standing still and moving, as well as their drivers)
- Snap shots of friends etc.

I was hoping to pic up something slightly more sophisticated than the digital version of a viewfinder camera, yet less expensive and less complicated than a full out SLR.

Does that explain my category well?


Emberghost said:
A budget guestimate could also help us find you a nice camera depending on your needs. Be sure to post up any questions you have so that we can help you make a more informed buying decision. ;)

I was probably looking at spending no more than $250 - $350, going over $350 only if there is good reason too (great camera, just slightly more expensive, or something like that)

I'll be sure to check out the articles you posted. The one that will probably help me the most is the camera terminology glossary which I never noticed when I looked at dpreview in the past.

Thanks!
--Matt
 
Look at this glossary too. http://www.usa.canon.com/html/eflenses/lens101/glossary/index_a.html

For the price of the Canon I can't really think of anything much better. And 3 MP is fine, do you happen to make relatively large prints? Or think you will in the near future...? These are the +'s I see:

IS - Very useful in some lower light situations. In situations like sports where you're looking for the highest shutter speed possible IS is of no use.

38-380mm Lens - That covers a very large range. Check this out to get a feel for just how much. http://www.usa.canon.com/html/eflenses/lens101/focallength/index.html

1.7 FPS continual shooting for 24 frames

Uses CF Cards

Flip out LCD (very handy, had it on my Nikon 5400)

-----------------------------------------------

-'s

Bulky
uses AA's
small sensor
No Wide Angle

Now if these minor complaints are no thing to you than it seems like a fine camera to me. And all cameras will have their +'s and -'s, just which -'s can you live with.

Check out this page to see shots with this camera, hit refresh for more to come up. ;)
http://www.pbase.com/cameras/canon/powershot_s1_is

Hope I'm helping. :D
 
Emberghost said:
Tried to find some example pics for you.

Scenery
Night
Macro
Animal

Just to give you some ideas.

Thank you very much. I have been clicking through the samples above, and I feel that this is a near perfect camera for me (at this price) I may shop around a little more, but more and more I'm starting to like this one..

I actually wan to go to a store and try one out to make sure that I like th efeel of it and whatnot, as well :)
 
Zarathustra[H] said:
Thank you very much. I have been clicking through the samples above, and I feel that this is a near perfect camera for me (at this price) I may shop around a little more, but more and more I'm starting to like this one..

I actually wan to go to a store and try one out to make sure that I like th efeel of it and whatnot, as well :)

Tis a good plan, good luck.
 
Back
Top