Not sure if I follow you here. Let's assume a width of 170mm. Even with a 280mm radiator you would still have ~25mm for the "double wall". As for the holes and grommets: You could do what NZXT did with the S440 and just have a side access to the "double wall" where you could put the cables through. That would make holes and grommets obsolete and probably help to reduce costs.The only thing is, if we end up going with a narrower or shallower design, there wouldn't be much to it because of the holes to pass through cables, and/or not leaving enough room for front rads
Glad to hear that. I was really happy with the options we have developed a few pages ago, and I actually was a bit disappointed that we apparently moved away from these options.And really, so do I. But I want to make sure we sort of work through the other options so people can see that we considered them, and at the end of the day they don't necessarily make much sense.
I was more thinking about additional and removable components (e.g. to mount HDDs). Depending on your design decisions the HDD-cage might be the only removable component in the 1c layout. Compare that with the M1 that has a plethora of optional components for all kinds of builds.You might think so, but not necessarily. I'm pretty particular about edge management (i.e., where bends should be seen or not), and that can increase complexity and cost.
Understood. The Corsair H110i GT (or comparable AiO-coolers) should be more than enough for CPU-cooling anyway.Not likely 360 rads, since that would push the height well over 400mm (360 rads are 395-405mm usually).
I'm not convinced. You would have to make many compromises and the final design would be close to the typical "Jack of all trades" cases. I don't think that ATX-compatibility is enough to justify these compromises. And to be frank, I'm not sure if I would buy a case that is over 200mm wide and that to me would feel like an ATX-case with mATX-features and not like a case that was consequently designed around the mATX form-factor.I think 5 slots with ATX motherboard support is still a very compelling option, but it does require the case to be wider. I don't have a problem with that, personally, since it means supporting full-size coolers/rear 120mm fan, and therefore enables quieter or higher performing builds, but it does mean more volume.
Another possible advantage of the 1c layout is that it might be easy to scale the layout for different form-factors. The width and the depth are determined by the target-size of the graphics card (150x305mm for DirectCU3 coolers) and the need for a front radiator. These variables (the footprint) don't change between the form factors (or rather shouldn't change), so you only adjust the height of the layout.
Maybe that is something something you should explore: A simple, elegant, puristic and therefore hopefully cheap layout that is easy to scale for different form-factors (mITX with 240mm radiator, mATX with a 280 radiator, ATX with a 360mm radiator). Your "Mac Pro redux" design would be my favorite for that layout because it doesn't have a separate front-panel or other elements that would increase the costs and because it looks amazing.



