Been reduced to konqueror for web browsing

markt435

Supreme [H]ardness
on openSUSE 10.3. I've narrowed it down to flash player being the cause but even after removing it and firefox for a reinstall, it still crashes. Opera has been a little better as the player just crashes and not the browser. pain in the ass. why can't adobe get their shit together? i thought it was bad enough with IE7 on Vista x64, but its on here too? sigh

I'm assuming you're running the x86_64 version of openSUSE.

In that case, have you tried replacing the 64 bit version of Firefox with the 32 bit version as there is no 64 bit version of Flash. I've never had any trouble with the browser crashing at all. The only time I ever had any trouble was trying to use a 64 bit browser and going to sites using flash and it would try to download the flash files since there was no plugin for Flash.

I'm assuming you're running the x86_64 version of openSUSE.

In that case, have you tried replacing the 64 bit version of Firefox with the 32 bit version as there is no 64 bit version of Flash. I've never had any trouble with the browser crashing at all. The only time I ever had any trouble was trying to use a 64 bit browser and going to sites using flash and it would try to download the flash files since there was no plugin for Flash.

nope its 32bit actually. forgot the mention that, sorry :(

If it makes you feel any better I voluntarily use konqueror as my primary browser. I find it works quite well, and runs faster than firefox.

If it makes you feel any better I voluntarily use konqueror as my primary browser. I find it works quite well, and runs faster than firefox.
i noticed that actually lol. i guess its not all bad. just kind of a let down.

Remove the flash player (I am still using flash 9.0-beta, never bothered to upgrade because I think the flash player is just glitchy all around in Linux.), uninstall Firefox, and backup your bookmarks in your user profile (typically located in ~/.mozilla/firefox/<random strings>/bookmarks.html), and delete your Firefox user profile (The <random strings> directory). Reinstall Firefox, restore you bookmarks, see what happens. Then you can try reinstalling flash again.

I don't know why you say 'reduced'. Konqueror is one of KDE's best assets. It's a very powerful program.

Enlighten me. I installed Kubuntu Wed night. First time trying Linux in a few years and after getting over the initial hurdles everything is great now. This time I think I might actually keep it. (I tried Slackware in the mid-90's and Redhat about 5 years ago, sucked both times).

Konqueror might be a nice jack of all trades, but I greatly prefer Firefox as a browser and I prefer Krusader as a file browser.

Here's a few things to get you started:
http://linuxreviews.org/kde/konqueror/
http://tr.opensuse.org/Konqueror
http://www.newlinuxuser.com/howto-rip-cds-with-konqueror/
http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com..._browser_file_manager_you_didnt_know?page=0,2

I guess it comes down to what you're used to. Konqueror is a better program than most give it credit for being though. I agree that it does have a jack of all trades feel, it's not as straightforward and simple as Firefox if all you want to do is web browse. But it's not a step backwards functionally, in fact I'd say Konqueror is superior to Firefox in most ways, except for usability.

I get that it is a jack of all trades, but that doesn't necessarily make it a better web browser than Firefox, or even a better file browser than Krusader.

Firefox has compatibility and plug-ins going for it, not to mention, I was able to simply grab my firefox setting directory on windows and drop over the linux one and have all my extensions, bookmarks, passwords exactly as they were before. No way am I switching from firefox. I am still shocked that this worked so well.

You can use firefox plugins in konqueror, so that's a non-issue. I don't really know much about grabbing settings and bookmarks since I've never bothered trying to import.

Back