Been out of it for a while...

manwe42

Weaksauce
So...christmas cash burning a hole in me pocket, i havent been in the PC hardware scene for quite a while....as you can see in my Sig, im in need of an upgrade. Processor, mobo, Video Card, and 1 gig of ram is what im shooting for, with Raid in the near future. If at all possible, i'd like to use the ram ive already got....so here are my questions.

1st, i'd like to go the SLI route, is it possible to run an SLI board with 1 vidcard, and add the second in later? for budget concerns. Also, would running 4 256 sticks be better\worse\no different than running 2 512?

Ive been trolling the boards, getting feel for response to different products. im not too keen on overclocking again, my computer sounds like a banshee, which needs to stop. i have been considering a couple 6600GTs and it seems the 3000+ Venice has been well recived, but im running 3200+ speeds atm, and i would like a real upgrade from that.

So, im going to continue trolling, but any and all opinions would be apreciated.....and Merry Christmas ;P

manwe42 said:
1st, i'd like to go the SLI route, is it possible to run an SLI board with 1 vidcard, and add the second in later? for budget concerns. Also, would running 4 256 sticks be better\worse\no different than running 2 512?

Yes, you can run an SLI board with one videocard and add a second later.

4 256MB sticks (if single-sided) will be about the same as 2-512MB modules in terms of overclockability and performance.

if u'd like to use the RAM u've got it'll depend on the mobo u are gonna get. number 1 flaw w/ the RAM u got right now 4x256 is u'r gonna use all the memory slot and leaves you no space for upgrade.

u can run the SLI w/ only one video card but the second one you're gonna get must exactly be same as the one u already have on the system.

Back