BC2 - thoughts - complaints

Well I can tell you one thing, the single player game in BC2 is freaking terrible and the dev team should feel embarrassed for putting that shit in a "AAA" title. Terrible pacing, terrible plot, no suspense, characters that all suck, retarded tricks like taking all of your weapons away after 5 second cut scenes, enemies that pop out of nowhere (even after you destroy the entire area with heavy weapons), tons of useless weapons, scene transitions that make no sense, weather that changes at specific points for no reason, giant ammo crates laying around every 30 yards, squad mates that never kill anything, and enemies that will chase and follow you around even when you are out of sight... The whole thing makes the single player in MW games feel like an epic achievement in game design.

The multiplayer is fun though! :)

Couldn't agree more. I gave up playing it. It was laughably and childishly bad. Made by teenagers for toddlers.

Multiplayer is good though. Classic Battlefield. Not a BF2 killer though. I mean, BF2 lasted me for well over a year easily without getting boring whereas I'm starting to tire a little (just a little) of BC2 already. I think the gun unlocks come too quickly. Satisfies the noobs I guess. I've unlocked everything in a very short time, and I only play for a few hours and a few nights a week.

I remember in BF2 it taking ages to unlock the next gun for your class. But the wait would be worth it. Finally getting the L85A for medic was a great day, loved that weapon! :p:cool:

I remember in BF2 it taking ages to unlock the next gun for your class. But the wait would be worth it. Finally getting the L85A for medic was a great day, loved that weapon!

Sure it did, initially.

IIRC later patches changed the unlock system so that unlocks came MUCH faster, almost on par with the BC2 system if not the same. Having access to the special forces expansion pack also give you a significant number of unlock slots.

Though I do agree that the BC2 unlock system is a bit front loaded, I can't figure out a way to alleviate that issue in an unlock system, because such a system intrinsically makes the rich richer in game terms.

given a perfect world all the different weapons should be balanced in terms of usefulness and usage.
So some weapons should be quieter, others have larger clips, others do more damage and others do more accuracy and others have a greater firing rate. That is somewhat the case but not so much. Snipers can play different classes of weapons, medics are mostly m60, assault has 2 or 3 guns they always use, same for engineer. They should take the weaker guns for all the classes and give them some other sort of buffs so they are more useful, so they are not just stepping stones but also a useful part of the overall arsenal.

With a good team it can be some of the most fun in any game. With a bad team is insanely frustrating and enough to make you scream.

Ok, other than the problems with hit detection and knifing, I think they need to increase the recharge rate of the defibrillators so that a medic cant run around in circles and revive people. Because of the bad bullet hit detection, this is possible.

Also, I think they need to have an optional upgrade or whatever to go into "stealth mode", or something to allow you not to be spotted or picked up by motion detectors in non HC servers. I think the spotting is a little ridiculous and takes away from of the strategy. Dont get me wrong, i like spotting, but i think they should make it harder.

maybe they should just let recon only be the one who can spot since thats what their job is, they should also have suppressor option also

given a perfect world all the different weapons should be balanced in terms of usefulness and usage.
So some weapons should be quieter, others have larger clips, others do more damage and others do more accuracy and others have a greater firing rate. That is somewhat the case but not so much. Snipers can play different classes of weapons, medics are mostly m60, assault has 2 or 3 guns they always use, same for engineer. They should take the weaker guns for all the classes and give them some other sort of buffs so they are more useful, so they are not just stepping stones but also a useful part of the overall arsenal.

if a gun is more powerful and accurate in the real world than another leave it that way, if they want to balance it don't use real world guns, it pisses me off when devs don't get real world guns right or nerf them.

if a gun is more powerful and accurate in the real world than another leave it that way, if they want to balance it don't use real world guns, it pisses me off when devs don't get real world guns right or nerf them.

That is stupid. Companies spent a long time before they learned that fun is more important than realism.

I never got why people care so much about the authenticity of guns in games. I know more than a couple care, so I won't pretend it doesn't matter. I will say that if they didn't use real world guns, there would be a lot more angry posts than if they just didn't get them right. They've got a decent gun selection as is, and I still saw people complaining that 'x' gun didn't make it in. And there would be far more complaints if they didn't get balance right. So they have 3 goals: Use real world weapons, keep the real world weapons relatively authentic in terms of look/sound/power/accuracy, and keep the game balanced. This is why it's impossible to keep everyone happy. :(

I never got why people care so much about the authenticity of guns in games. I know more than a couple care, so I won't pretend it doesn't matter. I will say that if they didn't use real world guns, there would be a lot more angry posts than if they just didn't get them right. They've got a decent gun selection as is, and I still saw people complaining that 'x' gun didn't make it in. And there would be far more complaints if they didn't get balance right. So they have 3 goals: Use real world weapons, keep the real world weapons relatively authentic in terms of look/sound/power/accuracy, and keep the game balanced. This is why it's impossible to keep everyone happy. :(

if they made their own weapons nobody would be able to complain about authenticity if the gun doesn't exist, but it would take prob double or triple the effort to balance the game and make the weapons and stats, BF2142 did it pretty well.

the only thing that i have a prob with is making a gun that is obv better than another gun inferior to the other or the same. i haven't played assault much tho, the xm8 seems like its been nerfd, i haven't used any others except for the one that looks like an AK and it sucks no matter what, and i noticed that all the engineer weapons have been given a boost. nothing feels different about recon, I'm still landing headshots like i always have

The problem with tying balance in with real world weapons is that there really aren't many differences between weapons in similar classes. Assault rifles tend to only come in a few calibers and usually have similar magazine capacity. Therefore most weapons would be essentially the same, but that would make the unlock system a waste of time. Or they can assign arbitrary values to guns and make the later ones you unlock a bit better than the earlier ones to reward you for your efforts.

I say its not easy to accurately to translate how a gun handles to the game world so I don't particularly care about that. What does annoy me is when the guns are blatantly inaccurately modeled. The M416 and M16A2 are especially eggregious. Many of the parts are located entirely on the wrong side, a simple trip to wikipedia would have fixed it. Combining that and the fact that the developers never bothered to see how the guns are actually used makes the reload animations goofy as well. Its just lazy.

The problem with tying balance in with real world weapons is that there really aren't many differences between weapons in similar classes. Assault rifles tend to only come in a few calibers and usually have similar magazine capacity. Therefore most weapons would be essentially the same, but that would make the unlock system a waste of time. Or they can assign arbitrary values to guns and make the later ones you unlock a bit better than the earlier ones to reward you for your efforts.

I say its not easy to accurately to translate how a gun handles to the game world so I don't particularly care about that. What does annoy me is when the guns are blatantly inaccurately modeled. The M416 and M16A2 are especially egregious. Many of the parts are located entirely on the wrong side, a simple trip to Wikipedia would have fixed it. Combining that and the fact that the developers never bothered to see how the guns are actually used makes the reload animations goofy as well. Its just lazy.

i hate it when they use the lowest calibur versions of guns, in mw2 they did that with the ACR and used the shortest barrel version.

why couldn't they have used the AK74 instead of the AEK

there really wasn't a reason to nerf or change anything in the game, it was fine the way it was

Worried about guns in an alternate universe where Russia somehow took over the world? Not me. I just want to pew pew kill face, if the guns don't work well, then I worry. If the game were a sim, I would definitely expect the guns to match their real world counterparts.

I say its not easy to accurately to translate how a gun handles to the game world so I don't particularly care about that. What does annoy me is when the guns are blatantly inaccurately modeled. The M416 and M16A2 are especially eggregious. Many of the parts are located entirely on the wrong side, a simple trip to wikipedia would have fixed it. Combining that and the fact that the developers never bothered to see how the guns are actually used makes the reload animations goofy as well. Its just lazy.

I think it might be for the benefit of the layman/aesthetics rather than due to laziness. Things like this do go through focus group testing and people that don't know about guns can tend to expect to see ejection ports and whatnot as part of the "realism", even if the casings were being flung into your own face.

... What does annoy me is when the guns are blatantly inaccurately modeled. The M416 and M16A2 are especially eggregious. Many of the parts are located entirely on the wrong side, a simple trip to wikipedia would have fixed it.. .

LOL, I made this complaint back in BF:V, the AK DOES NOT charge and eject LEFT into your arm when firing from the hip.
I've played the Battlefield series for ages and with almost 5 years into BF2 welcome a little change up. Thank god they fixed the server browser. That was the buggiest POS they've ever created.
I just wish people would engage their brains before joining servers. If the map type is RUSH hanging in the rear and sniping is guaranteed FAIL

I feel BFBC2 is not as responsive as BF2 or BF2142. I mean there is some lag even on low ping servers. For example you see the guy firing at you, you hide behind the cover and suddenly - bum - you are dead. It never happend to me in BF2 or BF2142.

Man, all pc gamers ever do is bitch. It's a wonder anyone puts up with it anymore. I'm not going to complain about BC2 because it's a great game. Do we need to argue whether it was a "port" or not? You play bad company 1 on your PC? It was done well, and I'm glad it came out. This is a company that will still make BF3.

Wait until crysis 2 comes out and everyone bitches. The same whiners will not realize they did it! Why can't I run Crysis with AA? WAA! WAAA!! I know a great deal about the bitches, and yeah now I almost have to be thankful for anyone that sticks around and makes good PC games.

You are missing out. As an old veteran of BF2 and 2142, I feel this game is the best online massive shooter out there.

Put a few hours into the game and you'll forget that the action prone even existed.

And, really, how can you complain about a game until you've actually played it?

As an old BF, BF2 veteran (since release) I can clearly say that BFBC2 sucks hardcore style. Not even close

there really wasn't a reason to nerf or change anything in the game, it was fine the way it was

No, It wasn't. With the m60 + CG the way they were at release, there was no reason to play assault beyond throwing ammo boxes. You could even snipe more effectively with an m60 than any of the actual sniper rifles.

Pump action shotgun + Solid slugs was a goddamn travesty. Fun, but completely unbalanced.

The 1911 was more effective than a lot of rifles/LMGs. Retarded.

Shit was fucked up. And don't bring "realism" into it. As soon as you play a game where it takes more than 2 hits with a gun to kill someone, and people's have fucking "Wolverine" health regeneration, realism is out the window.

LOL, I made this complaint back in BF:V, the AK DOES NOT charge and eject LEFT into your arm when firing from the hip.

As someone stated above, developers and artists do this kind of thing with weapons on PURPOSE. They make it this way intentionally so that the player is able to see the cool gun action of their weapon model. Look at the weapons in Counterstrike, notably the M4: brass ejection and the slide pull thing are both on the left. Once again, they did that on purpose to make the weapon model more interesting.

As an old BF, BF2 veteran (since release) I can clearly say that BFBC2 sucks hardcore style. Not even close

I thought this as well until I played it a few times - then BC2 really grew on me & I play it a lot now!

i hate it when they use the lowest calibur versions of guns, in mw2 they did that with the ACR and used the shortest barrel version.

why couldn't they have used the AK74 instead of the AEK

Honestly I don't think DICE really thought much about the different rounds offered in each platform of gun. They just chose some new guns and gave them some stats.

Well the AK74 is in the game under the engineer class. the AK74 and the AEK use the same round anyway so there really isn't that much of a difference.

I think it might be for the benefit of the layman/aesthetics rather than due to laziness. Things like this do go through focus group testing and people that don't know about guns can tend to expect to see ejection ports and whatnot as part of the "realism", even if the casings were being flung into your own face.

It could have definitely been a design decision. I wonder why they decided to have the M416 and the M16s reload animations to be completely different despite the same controls.

Man, all pc gamers ever do is bitch. It's a wonder anyone puts up with it anymore. I'm not going to complain about BC2 because it's a great game. Do we need to argue whether it was a "port" or not? You play bad company 1 on your PC? It was done well, and I'm glad it came out. This is a company that will still make BF3.

Wait until crysis 2 comes out and everyone bitches. The same whiners will not realize they did it! Why can't I run Crysis with AA? WAA! WAAA!! I know a great deal about the bitches, and yeah now I almost have to be thankful for anyone that sticks around and makes good PC games.

i completely agree with you, they thing they are better than all the other platforms and players, theres too many probs that you have to deal with in pc gaming which is the reason why i stick with consoles

No, It wasn't. With the m60 + CG the way they were at release, there was no reason to play assault beyond throwing ammo boxes. You could even snipe more effectively with an m60 than any of the actual sniper rifles.

Pump action shotgun + Solid slugs was a goddamn travesty. Fun, but completely unbalanced.

The 1911 was more effective than a lot of rifles/LMGs. Retarded.

Shit was fucked up. And don't bring "realism" into it. As soon as you play a game where it takes more than 2 hits with a gun to kill someone, and people's have fucking "Wolverine" health regeneration, realism is out the window.

As someone stated above, developers and artists do this kind of thing with weapons on PURPOSE. They make it this way intentionally so that the player is able to see the cool gun action of their weapon model. Look at the weapons in Counterstrike, notably the M4: brass ejection and the slide pull thing are both on the left. Once again, they did that on purpose to make the weapon model more interesting.

whats CG, is that magnum ammo or advanced accuracy or what? besides the 1911 sucked compared to the m443 grach, and do you realize that modern soldiers wear body armor? which will take more than two shots to get through. sniping with the shotgun was fun and i had no prob with people using it on me.
and i never used the m60 and never had a prob with it. the health is still the same and there is nothing wrong with it either, and it beats call of duty trying to be realistic and failing.

Honestly I don't think DICE really thought much about the different rounds offered in each platform of gun. They just chose some new guns and gave them some stats.

Well the AK74 is in the game under the engineer class. the AK74 and the AEK use the same round anyway so there really isn't that much of a difference.

It could have definitely been a design decision. I wonder why they decided to have the M416 and the M16s reload animations to be completely different despite the same controls.

AKS - 74U uses a subsonic round and fires faster ,and i just don't like the way the AEK looks versus the AK, They actually could have used the AEK-973 anyways instead they used the 971 which uses the smaller cartrige = less power. if they had done that maybe they would have more people using it.

I have to agree with this statement. I'm about to quit playing assault because I feel like I'm a walking ammo cart with little other function. My guns are a joke compared to all the other classes. with Insanely accurate infinite ammo medic guns to one hit hot carls I'm wondering wtf I fit in.

I feel about as useful as a storm trooper with a Lemonade stand on Christmas.

whats CG, is that magnum ammo or advanced accuracy or what? besides the 1911 sucked compared to the m443 grach, and do you realize that modern soldiers wear body armor? which will take more than two shots to get through. sniping with the shotgun was fun and i had no prob with people using it on me.
and i never used the m60 and never had a prob with it. the health is still the same and there is nothing wrong with it either, and it beats call of duty trying to be realistic and failing.

In order:
1.) Carl Gustav, the 2nd rocket launcher.
2.) Lol @ "1911 sucked compared to the grach". Just lol.
3.) Yes. I realize that. The point still stands with regards to the number of shots it takes to kill someone in the game being massively more than real life. If you want, you can replace that point with either of the following two: "Realism is out the window when you can run forever and jump endlessly carrying 40+ pounds of gear.", "Realism is out the window when you can heal any fatal wound with a defibrillator." And by the way, modern body armor that soldiers wear is designed to absorb one, maybe two hits in each individual section of armor. Chances of stopping the shot, depending on the round and type of armor, usually sits at about 50% iirc.
4.) If you've never used the handheld rape machine that is the Bad Company 2 m60, you're hardly qualified to comment on it. Pre-nerf, 3 out of every 5 players was a medic using an m60. That means in a 16v16, 9 or 10 people ON EACH TEAM, were m60 medics. At one point, total weapon kills for the m60 across the entirety of BC2 games outweighed the closest competitor by almost twice. It's insane power, INCREDIBLY EASY handling, and EXTREME accuracy combined to be one of the most OP weapons I have seen in a release game in a long ass time. Even after nerf, it's still the best LMG. The only thing cutting down on the amount of players you see using it in pubs is the fact that no good players, other than pubstars, will touch the thing anymore. Why? Because along with the CG, the m60 has been outright BANNED from competitive match play because it's so retarded. That's why you see a lot of good players using the T88, PKM, and MG36, all of whom would be using the m60 if they could.That will probably change with the coming re-nerfs to the T88 and PKM; the MG36 will probably be used more then.

I have to agree with this statement. I'm about to quit playing assault because I feel like I'm a walking ammo cart with little other function. My guns are a joke compared to all the other classes. with Insanely accurate infinite ammo medic guns to one hit hot carls I'm wondering wtf I fit in.

I feel about as useful as a storm trooper with a Lemonade stand on Christmas.

assault functions as the generic killing class. graphs of kills by class bear this out. if you are unable to do this, you are playing it wrong.

my assault char I typically use noob tube with extra grenades and + explosives. Noob tube is a 1 hit kill if you have any type of accuracy. You can also reload probably 1/2 the time of a CG and you can't kill yourself. For firing, like all weapons they are designed to be used in bursts and not continuous fire mode. If you see another player and can't take them down first, well, you will not be successful in this game.

Because along with the CG, the m60 has been outright BANNED from competitive match play because it's so retarded.

I haven't been in a clan since BF2 so I haven't been keeping up with competitive gaming news for a while, but that's pretty hilarious. I was wondering why I saw a few guys with the PK, T88 and RPG's. They also made the AN94 pretty ridiculous too, but I know they're removing the changes they did on that.

besides the 1911 sucked compared to the m443 grach, and do you realize that modern soldiers wear body armor?

AKS - 74U uses a subsonic round and fires faster ,and i just don't like the way the AEK looks versus the AK, They actually could have used the AEK-973 anyways instead they used the 971 which uses the smaller cartrige = less power. if they had done that maybe they would have more people using it.

The AKS-74U can use whatever load of 5.45x39mm ammunition it wants, subsonic or supersonic. I don't even know why you would use subsonic ammunition given that by base the weapon is not sound suppressed. Which would give you a slow small round.

I am also a little confused about your stance on bigger slower rounds versus smaller faster rounds? In the first quote you indicate that the grach with its 9x19 would be better suited since it would be a faster round, however in the next post you indicate a smaller round is less power.

Cons:

I hated that strange alarm that sounded every time the "super weapon" was to be activated. Made me feel like the aliens were coming to invade or something. When I was on the Japanese island at the beginning I half expected to see a T-Rex coming out of the woods after hearing that sound.

Accuracy-wise: you could pick up ammo from a Russian weapon to use in a NATO weapon even if they are of different caliber. Furthermore, when a clip is unfinished and you reload you don't lose the rounds left. But, in all fairness, the only game I played so far that simulates losing the unfired rounds in a mag is SWAT4.

Oh and... there were no M4s available and I could not attach silencers to any weapon I like.

Pros:

I LOVED the graphics and the AI is pretty smart. The destructible environment is very well implemented and presents the greatest challenge ever to people who are used to permanent walls and covers.

when a clip is unfinished and you reload you don't lose the rounds left.

I've only seen this in a couple shooters over the last ten years. I wouldnt mind having that level of realism back. I mean to say where youd actually waste clips by reloading all the time. maybe even remove totall amoo and just say how many clips you have left.

I've only seen this in a couple shooters over the last ten years. I wouldnt mind having that level of realism back. I mean to say where youd actually waste clips by reloading all the time. maybe even remove totall amoo and just say how many clips you have left.
Which shooters are those piscian18? I have only seen it in SWAT4. I'm a die-hard realism guy so flying a CAP mission in Falcon 4.0 for an hour and not firing a single round is fun to me.

Which shooters are those piscian18? I have only seen it in SWAT4. I'm a die-hard realism guy so flying a CAP mission in Falcon 4.0 for an hour and not firing a single round is fun to me.

Battlefield 2 and Battlefield 2142 both were that way.. made ya think about reloading a 2nd time.

Accuracy-wise: you could pick up ammo from a Russian weapon to use in a NATO weapon even if they are of different caliber. Furthermore, when a clip is unfinished and you reload you don't lose the rounds left. But, in all fairness, the only game I played so far that simulates losing the unfired rounds in a mag is SWAT4.

Oh and... there were no M4s available and I could not attach silencers to any weapon I like.

It is a little silly that the ammunition is interchangeable.

Honestly the best magazine management I saw was in Rainbow Six Raven Shield. As an example you had 5 magazines ( I think, if you went with an assault rifle) plus one in the chamber when you started. When you reloaded all you were doing was swapping magazines around, for example if I fired 10 rounds in one, and then reloaded I would still have 5 magazines but one was still at 20 rounds remaining. If I then fired each of the remaining 4 magazines to empty I would then wind back up with my original magazine that had 20 rounds.

Silencers can usually only be attached to a gun with a threaded barrel, which not all of the guns would have anyway. Plus silencers were pretty useless in the game anyway.

It is a little silly that the ammunition is interchangeable.

Honestly the best magazine management I saw was in Rainbow Six Raven Shield. As an example you had 5 magazines ( I think, if you went with an assault rifle) plus one in the chamber when you started. When you reloaded all you were doing was swapping magazines around, for example if I fired 10 rounds in one, and then reloaded I would still have 5 magazines but one was still at 20 rounds remaining. If I then fired each of the remaining 4 magazines to empty I would then wind back up with my original magazine that had 20 rounds.
Yeah I remember that - that was an even nicer touch. Just because you're down to four rounds in a mag doesn't mean you should lose the mag.

Silencers can usually only be attached to a gun with a threaded barrel, which not all of the guns would have anyway. Plus silencers were pretty useless in the game anyway.
True... now that you mention it... but I guess I'm used to silencers as I played a lot of Rainbow Six Vegas/Vegas 2 and GRAW. Like the element of surprise. :p

The only one that comes to mind seems like maybe Medal of Honor or early CoD's. The point was in WWII ammo was definitely not interchangeable and each shot really had to count. I don't know I'd have to go back and dig up which one I saw.

Battlefield 2 and Battlefield 2142 both were that way.. made ya think about reloading a 2nd time.

indeed they did. i'm a chronic re-loader and BF2 and 2142 cured me of that....at least while playing those particular games. i like the excitement of only having 6 rounds left in your magazine and having to choose your risk: run out of ammo mid-engagement, or get caught with your pants down as you're reloading. good times :D

Back