BBC Reporter Breaks ‘Unbreakable’ Phone

Seemed like the CEO was a good sport about it though... haha...

He was hitting it directly on the screen, and I don't think the shell actually damaged, what most likely happened is the pressure from the outside protection pushed against the screen and cracked it.

Those small LCD's are incredibly fragile... I was replacing one in an Ipod and was removing the dead screen and barely pressed against the bare screen and it cracked. Luckily it was dead heh...

Sucks for that company. How in the hell could you hammer a nail with it if it cant handle the corner of an aquarium?

Have these guys ever seen a GZ'one? I have tried to break my Type S plenty of times with no luck, and it was way smaller than that brick.

Well, they probably never did impact testing on the screen. From the looks of it, the phone gets a good majority of its security from the raised edges (rubber) along the perimeter of it. I highly doubt they dropped it from 10 stories onto a picket fence.

the mythbusters version would have taken a full episode and he did it in 10 seconds ;)

Unless you're embedding with the army in Bleckistan, which I doubt a tech reporter will ever do, a brick like that is more or less worthless because it's bulk ruins the convenience factor so I doubt the phone will do him much good...

A phone like that would never break under every day use because you wouldn't be caught dead carrying it around. I mean, it’s like 3 inches thick...

That is really funny, and sad for the CEO.
Well, I'm thinking that he needs to add a thick PolyCarbonite sheet
over the lcd screen to prevent that from happening again. LOL

Well some shock can get the best of screens, maybe their tag line of unbreakable is more of a structural statement

People were probably beating on the phone all day long.
I was watching other coverage from CES and they did pound nails into a wood board with the screen.

Said it was made out of "Gorilla" Glass

A phone like that would never break under every day use because you wouldn't be caught dead carrying it around. I mean, it’s like 3 inches thick...

Yeah. There is only space for one item that is 3 inches thick in my pocket anyway. :eek:

Nice phone, but probably 8 years too late. Should have been released back when indestructable phones were the rage back in the early 00's

Wow. pwnd. When that guy started laughing, saying " you actually broke it, that's impressive" it sounded like he was really saying. " Oh fuck, my ass is grass, how the hell did that happen"

Could have just been a defective unit/batch/whatever as well. Sure, it does look bad, but it just means they'll probably use the "side of an aquarium" test when evaluating the quality of future builds. :)

Like the BSOD that happened to Microshaft during their press conference. How embarrassing.

Too be fair he attacked the weakest part of the phone with forces that you're unlikely to ever apply to the screen in any conceivable every day use situation.

Very nice... but only because the rep / ceo / whatever was such a good sport.

Too be fair he attacked the weakest part of the phone with forces that you're unlikely to ever apply to the screen in any conceivable every day use situation.

"Unbreakable*"

* Do not go out of your way to try to break it, even thought that's what we just said you could go ahead and try to do. C'mon, be fair... Not the screen! Dude, seriously, take it easy.

err...
i500i700.jpg

Should have used an OLED screen instead of LCD. The former can generally be hit by a hammer and still keep working :)

LCDs like to shatter if you look wrong at them.

idk about you guys but didnt a company I say about 40-50 years ago they built the unsinkable ship, and we all know what happened there. When will these CEO's and companys learn never claim something is unbreakable or fully proofed of anything cause someone will figure out a way to do what they claim is impossible.:rolleyes:

Unbreakable phone? Next think you know someone's going to claim they have an unsinkable ship....oh wait.

I'm gonna say the obvious, this phone most likely had been taking a beating ALL WEEKEND. People were hammering nails with it, maybe jumping onto it, and etc. No matter how "indestructible" you might build something, Repeated damage will take it's toll.

Back