Bayonetta Now Available for PC via Steam with 4K Support

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Everyone was right about that Bayonetta countdown signaling a PC version of the classic (can I even call it that, since it “only” came out in 2010?) action game. The title is now available on the Steam store for $19.99, although I think I’ll wait until the summer sale—it is nearly eight years old, after all.

From PlatinumGames’ legendary director Hideki Kamiya of Resident Evil and Devil May Cry fame, SEGA brings one of the most universally acclaimed character action games of all time to PC. Bayonetta. The last survivor of an ancient witch clan who keep the balance between light, dark and chaos. Entombed to protect herself – and the world as we know it – Bayonetta is discovered and revived after 500 years, sparking a chain of events with cataclysmic repercussions.

That's an old game.

Pretty sure they have Bayonetta 2 working nearly perfectly on Cemu.

would have been great if they released both 1 & 2 pack.
but ofc since nintendo was involved in bayoneta 2 developement, we might never see it on PC.

Wait what? That's it? That countdown with a teaser image behind it and it's just to announce the release of a PC port of an 8 year old game? I know the situation with bayonetta 2 likely sucks due to nintendo needing to get financially involved with it, but the countdown for a PC port of the first game was a little... excessive.

Wait what? That's it? That countdown with a teaser image behind it and it's just to announce the release of a PC port of an 8 year old game? I know the situation with bayonetta 2 likely sucks due to nintendo needing to get financially involved with it, but the countdown for a PC port of the first game was a little... excessive.
Gotta employ the hype engine

well bayonetta is a great franchise, even the first is still a big deal, and many ppl were waiting for it including me, and i googled a bit about bayonetta 2, published by nintendo, so we will never see it on PC. period.
i don't wanna turn this into nintendo bashing, but everyday i discover new things that makes me hate nintendo a little more, everyday...

well bayonetta is a great franchise, even the first is still a big deal, and many ppl were waiting for it including me, and i googled a bit about bayonetta 2, published by nintendo, so we will never see it on PC. period.
i don't wanna turn this into nintendo bashing, but everyday i discover new things that makes me hate nintendo a little more, everyday...
Not a good reason to hate Nintendo for. The 2nd might not have ever been made without Nintendo's involvement.

Effectively it hasnt for those of us who arent drinking the Nintendo cool-aid.
Believe me I'm not a Nintendo lover. I think the switch is trash. It is the same with people bitching about RE7 only being on the PSVR. Sony funded the VR part so they have a right to be exclusive. Otherwise Capcom wouldn't even had a VR mode in the game.

Believe me I'm not a Nintendo lover. I think the switch is trash. It is the same with people bitching about RE7 only being on the PSVR. Sony funded the VR part so they have a right to be exclusive. Otherwise Capcom wouldn't even had a VR mode in the game.
Yeah, as much as Nintendo sucks, fact is that after the first Bayonetta game, the franchise basically never would have been a franchise if it wasn't for Nintendo being willing to fund the thing. It's not as if the devs had a choice in the matter, as there wasn't a race between publishers to shovel money at the to produce the game. It was either take Nintendo's crappy money, or it wouldn't get made at all.

Bought it. :) Though I guess I could have waited for a sale but ah screw it, it'll be better than the PS3 version I own.

Time limited exclusivity I can understand. I don't like it but I can understand having it. I just hate the exclusive to one platform thing for third party titles. I don't hate Nintendo for making Bayonetta 2, I actually applaud them for risking money on it to make a sequel. I just despise the fact that it was a cross platform title, that for the sequel became a single platform exclusive. I won't ever get to play Bayonetta 2 because (IMO only) it plus Zelda were the only good games on the WiiU that I had any interest in and I wasn't about to blow like $500 on a WiiU + 2 games. For me other than those 2 titles, nothing else in their IP ever really held my attention.

can I even call it that, since it “only” came out in 2010?) action game.

Nope. No you can't.

Even calling Deus Ex (2001) a classic is a stretch. Classic IMHO is reserved for mid 90's and earlier.

I've never heard of this series. What is that weird shit on her chest? a medallion boob armor? The SJW's will be thrilled!

Nope. No you can't.

Even calling Deus Ex (2001) a classic is a stretch. Classic IMHO is reserved for mid 90's and earlier.

I've never heard of this series. What is that weird shit on her chest? a medallion boob armor? The SJW's will be thrilled!
"You're getting old, John!"
continental.gif

Nope. No you can't.

I think her shoes are guns too or something.

I just remember when they game came out. My friend told me it really sucked. Then he beat it and unlocked all the achievements on 360. He was a big achievement whore during then. So I just avoided it. Give me the game for like $2, I'll try it out.

Man I'm glad we got this game on PC now. I own it on X360 (which was the native version Platinum developed, SEGA then kinda botched the port to PS3, which is why for MGRR Platinum decided to make the PS3 version the native version, to get more familiar with the hardware), and I had been hoping to get the two-disc version of Bayo2 for Wii U that included a port of the first game. By the time I got Bayo2 though, it was only the much cheaper single-disc release, without the first game. But that's cool, I would much rather play the first game on PC now. Would be fucking awesome if the second game also showed up on PC, but considering that game happened primarily thanks to Nintendo (cuz SEGA's dumb fucking ass decided to cancel development originally, so Bayo2 never woulda happened if it wasn't for Nintendo), I doubt that will happen. But I guess that's fine, I'll keep playing the Wii U version of Bayo2 that I've already invested so many hours in, with framerate drops and lower res and all. Cuz still a fucking awesome game. But yeah, first game on PC, I'm definitely down for dat (only grabbing it on sale though). MGRR had a pretty dang good port to PC (aside from the res cap of 1080p), and it looks like Bayo1 runs well on PC too (just lacking in graphics options, and framerate cap of 60).

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-bayonetta-pc-performance-analysis

I'm very glad the game came to PC. Its notable that the PC version besides other graphical upgrades, has the complete Japanese vocal option - a feature only previously released on the WiiU licensed version. Thanks to this I hold out a tiny bit of hope that Bayonetta 2 will come to PC , but I am realistic in that Nintendo - as much as I enjoy their games - is one of the biggest and nastiest IP parasites in the world, tied with Disney in just how hostile they act. Though when you think about it, Bayonetta 2 would actually be a fantastic title for Nintendo to bring to PC - Platinum Games wants to do so and is able, Bayonetta 1 is well received, Bayo2 on WiiU is antiquated and unlikely to be very profitable - there really isn't much they can do with it except perhaps a "VConsole" Switch version and that's a limited audience, the Cemu emulator is coming close to making it playable which shows the desire to play on PC and Nintendo themselves late to the party as always are just finally realizing the benefit of supporting platforms besides their own consoles, like Android and iOS. I'm really quite frustrated at Nintendo right now for a number of reasons (Where are all the Android style apps for the Switch? Like e-reader apps and especially Kodi - the Dock is begging for it!) and would really prefer them to simply publish games for PC and open mobile platforms like Android (even other consoles if they wish), as well as sell peripherals like controllers and the like... but I'd see it as an improvement and that they may be capable of realizing its no longer the early 90s if they see it is all around beneficial to bring Bayonetta 2 to PC.

I bought Bayonetta 1 simply to support this endeavor as overall, despite a few glitches (I can't seem to save settings, it claims it doesn't have permission? I'm on an Admin account, no prompt comes up etc...), it seems like a capable port brought to PC with good features (ie 4K, enhanced graphics etc) and for a very reasonable $20 price point. Only other step I'd like to see would be a Linux client, but Japanese devs are just warming up to the idea (lets hope Square Enix, with their Linux client of Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Mankind Divided keeps going!). Maybe we never get Bayo2 (though the Cemu emulator is coming very close to having it playable; Nintendo may try to shut them down but they have crossed their Ts and dotted their i's, so its unlikely that will succeed. So with that out of the way, why shouldn't they sell their title to PC gamers who want to play it, directly! Hell, I know that many players will put less emphasis on Bayo1 for WiiU via Cemu now that the PC version is out)), but if nothing else perhaps this will show SEGA and Platinum that it is worthwhile bringing these kinds of older console titles to PC. They already did so once with Valkyria Chronicles to roaring success (if you haven't played VC on PC, its really worthwhile thanks to a very, very unique Strategy RPG that has 3rd person action during each unit's turn. Picture something like Fire Emblem, complete with relationships/boosts between characters (and Tanks!) , but you have to control each unit in real time during their movement/action phase. If you like anime and/or war stories then its even better. ), so I hope another success will prime them to bring titles like Vanquish and Resonance of Fate to PC, but most of all I would love to see a HD Remake of Valkyria Chronicles 2 + Valkyria Chronicles 3 Extra Edition!

Vanquish on PC now:

Even better, if you own Bayonetta on PC, Vanquish is 25% off on Steam! This is another really enjoyable Platinum Games action title, sort of a "Space Marine" third person shooter but from a Japanese studio instead , which means the presentation is different (enjoyably so for many).

I really hope they patch the issues with Bayonetta soon, though. At the moment I still can't save my graphics options properly (a less common issue), and I have major stuttering/low frame rate during play/cinematics - a very common issue that has lots of hypothetical causes and fixes discussed on the Steam forums. The game runs beautifully (framerate wise) if I either A) use a crack that obviously severs the title from Steam or B) every time I load the game, I set the affinity in the task manager to only Cores 0 an 1. Apparently SEGA has been following the thread on the forums and claims to have a patch in the works, but it was recently Golden Week in Japan so all the developers were off . Hopefully Vanquish will not have these kinds of issues and that Bayonetta will soon get a patch so they will be alleviated. I'll still likely pick up Vanquish, - it was verry enjoyable for me on PS3 years ago and I never finished it (or even got that far if I recall), so for $15 it is a steal if all goes well.

Back