Battlefront 2 Progression System Revamped

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
EA Games has announced that the Star Wars Battlefront II "Progression Update" will come on March 21st. The update changes player progression to a linear style, and removes star cards from loot crates. Star cards, or any other item impacting gameplay, will only be earned through gameplay using an experience system on classes, heros, and ships that you play in multiplayer.

Anyone else catch that "gain experience in multiplayer?" Does that mean that playing in Arcade mode won't net you experience? I don't know, and I suppose we will have to wait and see, although I feel the ship has sailed for Battlefront II a while ago.

Starting in April, you’ll be able to get appearances directly through in-game Credits or Crystals. The first new appearances are coming soon, meaning you'll be able to grab new looks for your heroes and troopers directly by using either Credits (earned in-game) or Crystals (available to purchase in-game and through first-party stores). If you’ve ever dreamed of being a part of the Resistance as a Rodian, your chance is right around the corner.

Do people actively play this game? And if so, why?
What other MMO Star Wars game is there, other than the ancient (7+ years old) and maintenance-mode SWTOR?
Some people really love the SW universe, and will play crappy games to play in it.

I knew what I was getting with the first one; excellent graphics and sound and the best recreation of any Star Wars property to date. I knew I wouldn't get many hours out of it and I didn't, I just wanted it for the "experience". But if they think I'm going to do that twice, lol no.

Both games should have been no more than $30 at launch.

and you probably will be able to stack up enough exp boost items to shrink the requirement time to get a star crates.

I knew what I was getting with the first one; excellent graphics and sound and the best recreation of any Star Wars property to date..

Honestly I would have to disagree with you regarding two of those claims and agree with you on the third. While the graphics were passable, they were hardly moving anything forwards, and claiming it's the best recreation to date is simply an opinion that could be said about any of the games in the Universe. However the one thing they did not screw up was the sound. The team that worked on rebuilding the movie's soundscape into a digital format transferable to the game was indeed well executed. It's almost upsetting that the sound would be the high point of the current franchise they are building as a side release to Battlefield.

The game is terrible. I played the beta and was saddened by it.

This is just a sad sack change to try and get some folks to buy it whom were avoiding due to the loot fiasco. Still just a bad game anyway so why bother?

Ea is the devil. If you pay them it is akin to tickling satan's balls. Do you really want to be known as a ball tickling satanist?

Full disclosure, I still play battlefield bc I have since 1942 demo days. So I am a long term tickler.

Honestly I would have to disagree with you regarding two of those claims and agree with you on the third. While the graphics were passable, they were hardly moving anything forwards, and claiming it's the best recreation to date is simply an opinion that could be said about any of the games in the Universe. However the one thing they did not screw up was the sound. The team that worked on rebuilding the movie's soundscape into a digital format transferable to the game was indeed well executed. It's almost upsetting that the sound would be the high point of the current franchise they are building as a side release to Battlefield.

I respectfully disagree, the graphics which was a sizable portion to the environment/ambiance. Sure might not push limits like crysis, the quality (in combination of level, sound etc) did lead to the best recreation of the universe particularly the Hoth battle imo. While technically yes these things are opinion, and graphic capability will always improve over time I still do not remember having the same boyish grin playing other star wars games. Some were for sure close like Jedi Knight, Rogue Squadron and Tie Fighter those for sure had the game play but BattleFront had everything else except depth:(

The first hour I played the Hoth demo I was grinning ear to ear how cool it was... running under an ATAT, seeing those trenches etc... For me it was up there as a gaming memory with Medal of Honors' Normandy Beach level.

I was tempted to buy it last time it was on heavy discount. At this point the MP seems like a hot mess. I was interested from the Single Player/Campaign perspective.

Has anyone who has played thru SP comment if it's worth picking up to simply go thru the single player part of the game?

Um Star Wars Battlefront II isn't a MMO its a shooter.
It has a single player mode but also has "five multiplayer game modes with the largest supporting up to 40 simultaneous players." -- Wikipedia

Not really Massively Multiplayer, I'll admit.

I don't care what any of you say, I actually enjoy the game. The space combat is a lot of fun, and reminds me of the days of playing Tie Fighter, with just a bit more arcade feel. I think once they fix the progression, it'll be a whole lot of fun.

While I understand boycotting the game because of the original progression system, if you were ever interested in it, wait a week then read the reviews and purchase it once they are favorable, if you so decide. This might show EA what the players want - no P2W bullshit in a paid game, and hell, they might decide against it in the future (although it is EA...).

Back