• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Battlefield: BC2 BETA(PS3)

I just got done playing a few rounds of this and I was thoroughly impressed. I love the Frostbite engine so much, especially after seeing BF1943 and now this. I cannot wait for this to be released on the PC because I found myself complaining so much about trying to kill dudes with the PS3 controller. Sigh, I'm not accustomed to FPSs on consoles at all.
 
I just got done playing a few rounds of this and I was thoroughly impressed. I love the Frostbite engine so much, especially after seeing BF1943 and now this. I cannot wait for this to be released on the PC because I found myself complaining so much about trying to kill dudes with the PS3 controller. Sigh, I'm not accustomed to FPSs on consoles at all.

You get used to it. I am definitely having a fun time sniping on this map.
 
You get used to it. I am definitely having a fun time sniping on this map.

Yeah, sniping was what I wound up resorting to. It is fun though, sneaking around and actually being able to hide well enough in the bushes. I just need to perfect the movement of the sticks to line up shots better.
 
Though there are a lot of snipers, having gravity affect the range of the bullet is really, really fun for me. There was a guy mounted on those shielded machine guns with only a slit to see through. I just found it awesome to aim a little higher to lob the bullet right through the slit and see an explosion of blood from a headshot.
 
That was a pretty good game we had going on. Too bad we got split up after our winning round, GG.

I wish there was a quicker way to pull out the revive paddles. Maybe map it to the knife button since I rarely get a chance to use it anyway. I did notice the lunge for the knife is a little ridiculous. Reminds me of the plasma sword in Halo 2, just not as bad.
 
I wish there was a quicker way to pull out the revive paddles. Maybe map it to the knife button since I rarely get a chance to use it anyway. I did notice the lunge for the knife is a little ridiculous. Reminds me of the plasma sword in Halo 2, just not as bad.

What do you mean? It's fairly easy to just press left on the d-pad. But I'm sure there are different control configurations? I use my knife a fair amount- from taking down fences to the awesome headstabs. :D The lunge, I agree, is a bit ridiculous, but of well. I also find it stupid that when I try to knife a guy from a few feet away it won't lung or do anything for me at all, and even if I knife a guy and he moves away somehow, my knife doesn't kill him...which I've seen it hit someone straight in the face before and they just killed me...but whatever. In the end of a game last night, I killed three people in a row all in a 5m vicinity. Twas awesome, I love knife kills.
Things that need to be fixed IMO: prone needs to be added, vehicles need to be easier to kill, vehicles need to respawn faster, and plant time should be a bit longer, because compared to the defuse time it's half at least. Oh, and killing whoever is right beside Alpha or Bravo when it blows up would stop the camping of it...which would be nice...
 
The game is pretty fun, but oh my god, I forgot how poorly FPS games play on controllers.

I had my first experience using a controller for FPS just last week. My buddy let me play MW2 on his Xbox, and it was tough. Left a bit, right a bit, too far, go back…etc. I was terrible, he kept laughing at me. I was getting better after 20 minutes or so, but I didn’t dare go online.

It’s funny because I was watching him do multiplayer earlier, and was wondering why people weren’t dying faster. He’d see a guy in a window or w/e, and 2 seconds later he still hadn’t shot him. I was thinking my bud sucked, but he was top 1 or 2 every game. That’s just the time it takes to sight in on someone. PC is way different. You see someone, and 0.5 secs later either you are dead or he is. Console seems like slow motion in comparison.
 
It’s funny because I was watching him do multiplayer earlier, and was wondering why people weren’t dying faster. He’d see a guy in a window or w/e, and 2 seconds later he still hadn’t shot him. I was thinking my bud sucked, but he was top 1 or 2 every game. That’s just the time it takes to sight in on someone. PC is way different. You see someone, and 0.5 secs later either you are dead or he is. Console seems like slow motion in comparison.

I experience the same thing. Friends play CoD4 on 360 and I can see people and I point them out to them because they never notice. It's weird. I see a tiny bit of enemy movement where they see nothing.
 
I had my first experience using a controller for FPS just last week. My buddy let me play MW2 on his Xbox, and it was tough. Left a bit, right a bit, too far, go back…etc. I was terrible, he kept laughing at me. I was getting better after 20 minutes or so, but I didn’t dare go online.

It’s funny because I was watching him do multiplayer earlier, and was wondering why people weren’t dying faster. He’d see a guy in a window or w/e, and 2 seconds later he still hadn’t shot him. I was thinking my bud sucked, but he was top 1 or 2 every game. That’s just the time it takes to sight in on someone. PC is way different. You see someone, and 0.5 secs later either you are dead or he is. Console seems like slow motion in comparison.

I experience the same thing. Friends play CoD4 on 360 and I can see people and I point them out to them because they never notice. It's weird. I see a tiny bit of enemy movement where they see nothing.

I had the SAME problem you guys seem to point out when I started playing FPS on console again. Most games now let you mess with the joystick sensitivity and all I did was crank it up a bit until I got the movement to feel like I do with a mouse.

It is not completely the same but it does help with the quicker reactions.
 
Anyone else had any crashes or lock ups while playing BFBC2 demo?
I have had 2 lock ups so far while playing the game, that required me to press the power button on my PS3 slim.
Also upon starting back up i had to plug the wireless controller into USB, then press the PS button to re-sync it.

Before someone suggests that it may be my hardware, my PS3 slim is only ~3 months old and I have played Uncharted1, Uncharted2, all for hours on end with no lockups or issues.
Even yesterday my brother and i played Resistance for nearly 4 hours in local co-op with no problems.

So i really think the lockup is due to the BFBC2 beta, i think it happened when the server i was on disconnected or something to do with a loss of network connection.

Another friend of mine said he also has recently encountered the issue where he had to re-sync his controller once he turned on his PS3 after having previously played BFBC2.
However he hasent encountered any crashes or lockups yet.
 
I like that they changed it up. My class from bc1 has been seperated up. and I didn't see an airstrike. Only the morter with the sniper class now. i like how they have done the upgrading steps and that you can even upgrade the tanks.

I know someone mentioned them being overpowered (tanks), a rocket only doing little damage to it. I believe it does depend on where the tank is being hit from. I took out one with 2 shots and I hit it as it was climbing a hill so the rockets hit the undercarrage.
also, dont forget landmines. they work great. well, did in bc1
 
vehicles need to respawn faster

NOooo. They've FINALLY gotten it right with the vehicles. Not only are tank respawn probably longer than ever, but tanks aren't even on every section of the map. This is excellent. Tank battles finally have meaning. In BF2, you go through a hard tank battle and then 2 minutes later the tanks are back....:(

Is it just me, or are the graphics pretty underwhelming? That's my main complaint right now..

Well its a 1GB Beta. The Beta is actually a fairly early Alpha build. The most current version of the game is said to be much further along. I wouldn't expect an AA, but I think we can pretty much count on much better textures and better distance for LoD. That all said, I think the game looks pretty great as is. No complaints graphically.

So i really think the lockup is due to the BFBC2 beta, i think it happened when the server i was on disconnected or something to do with a loss of network connection.

Yeah, most lockups seem to happen while in tanks or when DICE makes a change to the game (they've been tweaking the stats system a lot. This is why sometimes you'll be back at rank one with no unlocks and other times you'll have all of your unlocks and rank).

I wouldn't worry too much about the final release though. BC1 was in the best condition at launch of any BF before it. BC2 looks to be inline with that.
 
oh, and yes, i had the beta lock up on the start screen, so nope, not your system
 
Yeah, most lockups seem to happen while in tanks or when DICE makes a change to the game (they've been tweaking the stats system a lot. This is why sometimes you'll be back at rank one with no unlocks and other times you'll have all of your unlocks and rank).
.

By lockup i mean that my PS3 completely freezes up, with either a black screen with beta in top right corner, or even once with game background frozen and audio loop.
Then I have to click on the power button on my PS3 Slim to restart the system.

I was not referring to stats or ranks.

Is that what you have also experienced?

Is it possible that DICE would make on the fly changes to the game that could actually do that to the PS3?

oh, and yes, i had the beta lock up on the start screen, so nope, not your system

Thought i was not the only one.
Funny thing is that one of my friends has spent several hours on this game, and he has not experienced a lockup yet, thats why i though i would ask here.

Also i have found a few areas on the map generally in between buildings where you could fall out of the map and into areas you shouldn't be allowed to go, which is ok since this is a Beta test. So far these areas don't offer any advantages though since you cant shoot through the map even though you can see people who cannot see you.

Which brings me to my next question, is there any way to take screen-shots in this game (or any PS3 game)?
(obviously without using a camera and taking a picture)
 
Last edited:
By lockup i mean that my PS3 completely freezes up, with either a black screen with beta in top right corner, or even once with game background frozen and audio loop.
Then I have to click on the power button on my PS3 Slim to restart the system.

I was not referring to stats or ranks.

Is that what you have also experienced?

Is it possible that DICE would make on the fly changes to the game that could actually do that to the PS3?

yeah what I'm saying is many people seem to be getting hard locks (PS3 completely frozen) while tank battling. and it seems that sometimes when DICE changes the stats setup, it can boot people or in my case, hard lock my PS3.

If you've noticed places that you can fall through the map, DICE has a special forum to make reports on the beta. There's a link to it in the standard BC2 beta forum.

Which brings me to my next question, is there any way to take screen-shots in this game (or any PS3 game)?
(obviously without using a camera and taking a picture)
Awhile back Sony patched into the XMB an official solution for taking screenshots. I haven't seen any developers use that method yet, though. Some games do have their own way to take screenshots. BC1 for example, you just press up on the d-pad.
 
Yeah, i only had it happen once and of course, that was when i was just about to show my friend the game. i was unable to do anything so i had to power off/on from the ps3. controller functions did not work.

as for screen shots on console. unless in game like say, forza just example, I dont think so. i have read about some way of connecting a console to computer to do that though.
 
What do you mean? It's fairly easy to just press left on the d-pad. But I'm sure there are different control configurations? I use my knife a fair amount- from taking down fences to the awesome headstabs. :D The lunge, I agree, is a bit ridiculous, but of well. I also find it stupid that when I try to knife a guy from a few feet away it won't lung or do anything for me at all, and even if I knife a guy and he moves away somehow, my knife doesn't kill him...which I've seen it hit someone straight in the face before and they just killed me...but whatever. In the end of a game last night, I killed three people in a row all in a 5m vicinity. Twas awesome, I love knife kills.
Things that need to be fixed IMO: prone needs to be added, vehicles need to be easier to kill, vehicles need to respawn faster, and plant time should be a bit longer, because compared to the defuse time it's half at least. Oh, and killing whoever is right beside Alpha or Bravo when it blows up would stop the camping of it...which would be nice...

Well, it takes a bit more time busting them out. In the heat of battle that split second means a lot. You're using the left analog stick for movement, then you have to stop moving to press that left d-pad to bring out the paddles. You have to find the left analog stick again then find the victim then revive them. As opposed to the knife quick map idea. You would just run up to the victim and press R2 and the paddles would bust out and automatically be used, just like the knife. It's simple and it doesn't break your groove in mid-battle. IMO it's something about having to switch from the left analog stick to the d-pad being somewhat groove breaking amid a heated battle.
 
You could say that having to switch over to the defibrillator accounts for having to sling your gun and pull them out. whereas your knife is on your belt or your chest, ready to grab and stab.
 
Well, it takes a bit more time busting them out. In the heat of battle that split second means a lot. You're using the left analog stick for movement, then you have to stop moving to press that left d-pad to bring out the paddles. You have to find the left analog stick again then find the victim then revive them. As opposed to the knife quick map idea. You would just run up to the victim and press R2 and the paddles would bust out and automatically be used, just like the knife. It's simple and it doesn't break your groove in mid-battle. IMO it's something about having to switch from the left analog stick to the d-pad being somewhat groove breaking amid a heated battle.

I hate to nitpick about class/job/whatever specific button maps but... Marking targets with a sniper rifle is a royal pain in the ass. First you gotta hold down L1 then get them in your cross hairs (not alot of wiggle room on that) and then press select. It's bearable if your target doesn't move, but really annoying when they're a few hundred meters away running.
 
question. is there no prone? i swear Ive seen some snipers lay down unless they werent on a level surface
 
NOooo. They've FINALLY gotten it right with the vehicles. Not only are tank respawn probably longer than ever, but tanks aren't even on every section of the map. This is excellent. Tank battles finally have meaning. In BF2, you go through a hard tank battle and then 2 minutes later the tanks are back....:(.

Shit, I meant slower.
 
yeah they could stand to make the vechicle respawns even slower. but as is, its the best a BF has ever been.

Funny, everyone I've talked to playing the game complain about the UAV spawns taking too damn long.

The other funny thing is that I've seen people kill for the right to control the UAV. They should leave it to whoever is the higher level person.
 
Funny, everyone I've talked to playing the game complain about the UAV spawns taking too damn long.

The other funny thing is that I've seen people kill for the right to control the UAV. They should leave it to whoever is the higher level person.

That damn thing is SO fucking annoying.

42 dog tags. :D
 
The more I play this game, the more I like it. I love sniping from very long distances and having to factor in gravity. Lot of fun!
 
The more I play this game, the more I like it. I love sniping from very long distances and having to factor in gravity. Lot of fun!

Yeah, I'm starting to like the gravity too.

47 dog tags and about 8 minutes 10 seconds shy of 10 hours of gameplay. Just think of the new maps and the time they'll give me....:eek::eek::eek:
 
how do you pick up dog tags?
I have only picked up one, and i dont even know how i did it lol.
Then again i have not played this for as many hours as you guys.
 
but as is, its the best a BF has ever been.

I would have to agree 110% with this statement.

After playing the PS3 beta (though I'm a PC FPS gamer, so it was weird) I can see how the visuals will look on PC, and what they did with the gameplay is excellent.

The destructibility is fantastic, even the ground/terrain can be deformed (which I did not know), and if it says anything, me being an FPS gamer strictly on PC, the gameplay is smooth in every way. The game mode that's currently available is fun as hell. The options for kit customization are excellent.

It really is like "BF 2.5", which I said a while back it looked like it was going to be, and it's going to have almost as many maps as BF2 had... so, it's basically what almost every BF fan has wanted since the beginning of the series.

I will definitely be hosting an "adult-friendly" server when it hits PC, and will also be looking for any mature people to act as admins to help out.

This pretty much replaces BF2, even though the player-scale is not as large, due to everything else is has to offer. Fantastic. Cant even stop playing the one beta map since I dl'd it two nights ago.
 
What kind of mods will this have? I'm picking it up on PS3, but I might get it for PC as well for mods and such.

1124092014.jpg

1124092015.jpg


Oh yeahhhhhhh. :D

(Note, I don't post these to really brag, just to show how much I love this title. It will be my GoTY next year probably. With the POS disappointing game MAG seems to be, this redeems Sony's fail).
 
no prone, there was none in BC1 either.
Dice have already stated it will not be in the final version.
 
Back
Top