Battlefield: BC2 BETA(PS3)

The beta is supposed to come out for PC in December. I noticed when you look at the PS3's install of BC2 and look at information, it says 100 days left... until Feb. 2010. The demo is due early next year, most likely after the beta has ended.

If they are doing the beta like they did with BC on Xbox 360, there'll be a procedural unlock of everything. Right now when we play we have basic stuff and don't level up... with the upcoming days ahead, they'll unlock stuff where you can earn medals, exp, and unlock weapons and specials.

?

Played for an hour last night, got 6 different medals, leveled up to level6 and got a new sniper, pistol and shotgun.

It is weird playing an FPS on a console when used to playing it on PC. Wish you could force some AA.I have a excellent TV/setup and in the distance it just looks like crap. But overall a decent looking game and fun at that.

I received my key a couple days ago, can't wait to try it later today but I am not very comfortable with controllers =P

Got my key last night, should be interesting to try playing this on my roommate's PS3 since I'm a PC FPSer.

Played a bunch last night, LOVED IT. This is the sequel to BF2 that baby jesus has been dreaming of. Hopefully it all comes together as nicely as this alpha-beta build seems to be.

I had several issues getting into a game last night.
At first it would take forever just to find a game, even after the 1.01 update.
Then it would find a game but would disconnect for no reason after only 2 or 3 min in game.

Eventually the connection issues cleared up and i actually played for around 1hr straight with no bugs or issues at all. Lots of fun overall, and worth the wait.

This game looks good, and is quite fun, definitely makes me want to fire up BFBC 1 gold edition, which i currently have sitting by, and still in its wrapper waiting for me to play it one day.
I bought BFBC 1 gold edition, strictly for the single player, but after playing this BFBC2 beta, i wonder how similar it is to 1?

I had several issues getting into a game last night.
At first it would take forever just to find a game, even after the 1.01 update.
Then it would find a game but would disconnect for no reason after only 2 or 3 min in game.

Eventually the connection issues cleared up and i actually played for around 1hr straight with no bugs or issues at all. Lots of fun overall, and worth the wait.

This game looks good, and is quite fun, definitely makes me want to fire up BFBC 1 gold edition, which i currently have sitting by, and still in its wrapper waiting for me to play it one day.
I bought BFBC 1 gold edition, strictly for the single player, but after playing this BFBC2 beta, i wonder how similar it is to 1?

I was having similar connection issues but with lag in the game. It was like I had like 400ms ping because kept feeling like it took forever to run somewhere but after about 5mins of it it cleared up.

Will probaly play the shit out of it tonight.

I played it for the first time today, game ran really well, no issues that i could see. the gameplay is great with squadmates, but being that its PS3 no one had mics, im looking forward to the PC beta in december. im so bad with joysticks for movement and aiming, i guess i just dont play enough console games hehe.

I've been a fan of the BF series since 1942, and I gotta say this game does not disappoint. Very fun game. Can't wait to try it on PC. Also, the surround sound is very impressive. Many times I found enemies by tracking their "enemy grenade!" chatter. didn't see any air vehicles though.

Weird that some of you have been having connection issues. The game as been working great for me. Played for an hour last nite and I'm about to play some more! :)

If you didn't know, you can collect dog tags from players. I managed to sneak up behind a sniper and stab him in the back and a little thing popped up saying I stole his tags. It then goes into your stats. Of course he promptly killed me after I respawned. :p Was this a feature in BC1?

Actually created an account and played for about an hour. It was a blast! Going to play more later, but I'm really looking forward to the PC beta later. This game might give me a reason to upgrade to a DX11 card :D

Weird that some of you have been having connection issues. The game as been working great for me. Played for an hour last nite and I'm about to play some more! :)

If you didn't know, you can collect dog tags from players. I managed to sneak up behind a sniper and stab him in the back and a little thing popped up saying I stole his tags. It then goes into your stats. Of course he promptly killed me after I respawned. :p Was this a feature in BC1?

That was a fun new feature to the BF games that was introduced to 2142. After collecting X amount of tags you'd get a cooler looking knife that had a pair of dog tags hanging off the end of it.

[+Duracell-];1034941266 said:
Actually created an account and played for about an hour. It was a blast! Going to play more later, but I'm really looking forward to the PC beta later. This game might give me a reason to upgrade to a DX11 card :D

Agreed! The game looks fantastic on the PS3, but I can't wait to get it going on PC and increase the eye candy and have a m/kb. The only class I can run with on a console is sniper because going assault was just a painful experience in a CQB. The few kills I got with assault were all noob tube kills and I felt dirty.

i think it looks pretty bad. but it was running 720p... can you force it to 1080 by having 720 off? in fact going to try right now.

?

Played for an hour last night, got 6 different medals, leveled up to level6 and got a new sniper, pistol and shotgun.

It is weird playing an FPS on a console when used to playing it on PC. Wish you could force some AA.I have a excellent TV/setup and in the distance it just looks like crap. But overall a decent looking game and fun at that.

Yeah. When I loaded the game up on thursday night around 9pm pst I wouldn't get exp, unlocks or those lil medals.

I loaaded it up last nite and in my 1st and only game I felt like it was a decoration show as I was playing the game. Combat medals here and there, kill avenges, unlocks, kill points and assist points and head shot points popping up and stacking and rank up alll over my screen. It was very rewarded but distracting at the same time.

Good stuff, but fucking hell does this make me rage- whoever shoots first gets the kill. Period. Unless the other player has down syndrome or a sniper rifle. I'll sit there and shoot a guy in the head and it won't register...and then I've had someone lunge at me from 10 feet away and get a knife kill after I layed half a clip of a pistol into them..

I played for a few minutes today. Definatly has the potential to be a good PC shooter. Not sure if it'll live up to BF2, but but will it be nice to have a new FPS title that supports dedicated servers again.

I've got 4 shooters including this beta for my PS3 and try as I might, i just can't get into console shooters.

I've got 4 shooters including this beta for my PS3 and try as I might, i just can't get into console shooters.

I used to be the same way, but I'm slowly getting used to playing FPS with a controller. It took a small miracle for me to beat Killzone 2 on normal difficulty. I couldn't get into the MP at all, because of my lack of controller skills. I'm finally getting halfway decent at Uncharted 2 MP.

I tried the original Bad Company demo on PS3 last summer, and liked it. But the demo was extremely short. It was on a timer, after only about 20 minutes, the demo quit working, and I got the prompt to buy the full game. I didn't get enough of a taste to buy it. I never really got into the BF games on PC. I was more into the Wolfenstein franchise, but that series is on long term stasis at least until after Rage and Doom 4 are shipped. Carmack said they're not outsourcing development on their IPs anymore.

I really can't get into CoD. So hopefully BF BC2 will be my next FPS. I'm downloading the beta right now. How many maps are included ? Looks like this one is going to last all the way through January. :cool:

I used to be the same way, but I'm slowly getting used to playing FPS with a controller. It took a small miracle for me to beat Killzone 2 on normal difficulty. I couldn't get into the MP at all, because of my lack of controller skills. I'm finally getting halfway decent at Uncharted 2 MP.

I tried the original Bad Company demo on PS3 last summer, and liked it. But the demo was extremely short. It was on a timer, after only about 20 minutes, the demo quit working, and I got the prompt to buy the full game. I didn't get enough of a taste to buy it. I never really got into the BF games on PC. I was more into the Wolfenstein franchise, but that series is on long term stasis at least until after Rage and Doom 4 are shipped. Carmack said they're not outsourcing development on their IPs anymore.

I really can't get into CoD. So hopefully BF BC2 will be my next FPS. I'm downloading the beta right now. How many maps are included ? Looks like this one is going to last all the way through January. :cool:

I'm getting decent with it as it is, i just don't like it nearly as much. The graphics, jaggies in particular kill it for me as well. Some games I love on consoles and would likely never play on a PC, like sports and fighting games. Shooters are another matter.

Yeah even if I fall in love with this game, I probably wouldn't buy the PS3 version.

Although I think the DS3 controller works pretty good for 3rd person shooters like UC2.

The game is pretty fun, but oh my god, I forgot how poorly FPS games play on controllers.

I can understand people who play them, but saying it's as good as or better than a KB/M, I'm pretty sure those people never spent an hour playing an FPS with that setup. How can a gamer not feel dirty with auto-aim etc. (I dont think BFBC2 has auto-aim btw)

I honestly can't see why people need to be so elitist on this KB/M thing. It's different, and they both have ups and downs, but saying one is completely superior to the other is stupid. A preference is fine, but saying OH KB/M SUCKS or CONTROLLERS BLOW is stupid.

Anyways, how many dog tags until you get that special knife (if I read it right, and it is still for BC2)? I've gotten quite a few knife kills...very satisfying. I actually got a knife headshot/headslash?...it was epic. :D
EDIT: 17 actually.

Last edited:
I honestly can't see why people need to be so elitist on this KB/M thing. It's different, and they both have ups and downs, but saying one is completely superior to the other is stupid. A preference is fine, but saying OH KB/M SUCKS or CONTROLLERS BLOW is stupid.

Anyways, how many dog tags until you get that special knife (if I read it right, and it is still for BC2)? I've gotten quite a few knife kills...very satisfying. I actually got a knife headshot/headslash?...it was epic. :D
EDIT: 17 actually.

Not trying to be elitist. For FPS games I find a KB/M to be superior to a controller no matter what. Depends on the genre of game. Controller works for a racing game, but a Steering Wheel + Pedals would be superior every time. I wouldn't play Dirt 2 with my keyboard though, as a 360 controller is better than a keyboard for ANY racing game. There is always a top control scheme for these games.

As for the dog tags I don't know.

Not trying to be elitist. For FPS games I find a KB/M to be superior to a controller no matter what. Depends on the genre of game. Controller works for a racing game, but a Steering Wheel + Pedals would be superior every time. I wouldn't play Dirt 2 with my keyboard though, as a 360 controller is better than a keyboard for ANY racing game. There is always a top control scheme for these games.

Exactly, which is exactly why I have a Logitech Momo wheel that will be put to some good use on December 1st when STEAM unlocks my free copy of Dirt 2

Anyways, started playing at the time of that post (12:30). Look at the fucking clock, and it's 2:30. I love this game honestly. Sniping is such a blast, and so are knife kills. As noted, 17 knife kills at 12:30, 32 at 2:30. :D Pre-ordered the special edition on Amazon to make sure I get it. Hopefully they add release day shipping...

True that. Stick someone who is good with KB/M against someone who is good with a controller (no auto aim assist) and see who does better. Chances are, the KB/M will because of the faster reaction/ precision.

Fuck tanks and the morons who use them to camp. You're giving the attacking team tank after tank, along with other vehicles, just to sit there and camp everything so they can get loads of kills and objectives easily. And yet you give me an RPG to kill them, and it takes more than 4 shots? Give me a fucking break.

Fuck tanks and the morons who use them to camp. You're giving the attacking team tank after tank, along with other vehicles, just to sit there and camp everything so they can get loads of kills and objectives easily. And yet you give me an RPG to kill them, and it takes more than 4 shots? Give me a fucking break.

OH NOOOOOOOOO!

Please don't tell me the anti-tank/anti-air stuff is still horribly gimped?

The only way around it in BC1 was to get the "personal mortar strike" unlock, let you call in a mortar strike every two minutes, roughly. That was pretty handy for tank campers.

OH NOOOOOOOOO!

Please don't tell me the anti-tank/anti-air stuff is still horribly gimped?

The only way around it in BC1 was to get the "personal mortar strike" unlock, let you call in a mortar strike every two minutes, roughly. That was pretty handy for tank campers.
Never really played 1, but it sucks. I was in a tank, and shooting another (apparently nobody was in it and it was getting fixed). I think somebody shot an RPG at me...and it did 7 damage. Pretty pathetic. Only real way to kill a tank is be in another tank (which every time it seems the other tank overpowers me) or become a sniper and lay charges which is very hard (way harder than 1943).

That said, I've played the beta a total of 6 hours 30 mins so far. At this rate I'll be pooped before the full game...Lol.

Also, I had an awesome kill last night when I got caught up into the game. I was at this place:

1122091711.jpg

And there was an enemy sniper right in the building about to go on to the ledge. I walked back a little, ran and jumped and knifed him in the face...was so epic lol.
Then another guy was running up the stairs towards me..medic...and all of a sudden I died by the defibrillators. Was awesome because of that and the expression on his face was priceless....I REALLY need to record myself playing. :p

Is it just me, or are the graphics pretty underwhelming? That's my main complaint right now..

When you're accustomed to PC graphics, yes, they are not impressive in the least.

Guess you're right. Just from playing even COD on my PC, then going to this is night and day.

Is the PS3 incapable for AA? This game needs it pretty bad from what I've seen..

If anyone wants to play: oolite_eater <---- I'm a geology major/nerd lol

Back