Battlefield 4

Got this pop-up on Origin and said to myself, wow seriously?!

b4i7x4.jpg

I just can't even fathom doing that considering how abominable that last MOH game was.

I just find it a little off-putting that they're already pushing their next title before 3 of the 5 DLCs are even released yet for BF3.

Man... lots of hate going on. This isn't anything out of the ordinary for this franchise.

1942 > Vietnam - 2 years
Vietnam > BF2 - 1 year
BF2 -> 2142 - 1 year
2142 > BC1 - 2 years
BC1 > BC2 - 2 years
BC2 > BF3 - 1 year

And that does't include all the expansions and smaller games (like 1943, heroes, etc.). The gap between these games will be a solid 2 years (remember the first MOH outed BF3 beta a year before the game came out). When that was announced nobody went "WAAAAH I JUS GOT BC2!"...By the time it drops, BF3 will have had a two year run, and veteran players will have several hundred hours invested. That doesn't seem like a problem for a $60-$120 investment. For real... whats the fucking problem here?

You shoulld also consider how the base played those games:
agreeing with your start
1942 > Vietnam - 2 years
Vietnam > BF2 - 1 year
BF2 -> 2142 - 1 year (Interesting diversion, but we only played for 6 months
{BACK to BF2}
2142 > BC1 - 2 years really? a console only game doesn't belong on this list of PC games) SKIP !
so really BF2 > BC2 was 4-5 years for MANY players
BC2 > BF3 - 1 year ( sorry, multiplayer community just wasn't ready and many strayed away due to the lack of the old BF open map feel)

I kind of have a morbid curiosity regarding MOH since it will be including the SASR. The complete lack of humility on the part of Danger Close in regard to its crappy MOH reboot doesn't bode well for the sequel.

I thought the first MOH had potential, just lacked polish and content, due to a rushed release schedule. (2 different engines.....) If they improve those two things, it alone could most likely destroy the COD franchise, simply due to Frostbite2.

Battlefield 4 though...... i just cant fathom Dice releasing a "new" Battlefield, modern military fps shooter 6 or 8 months after it releases the last DLC for BF3. It just doesn't make sense to me. I cannot imagine what they could possibly change, or add to make it even close to being a worthy sequel. (But then again activision has been doing it for years) I am really interested though to see if Battlefield 4 turns out being something other than modern military, for example 2143 named BF4 or something like that.

Won't be buying. BC2 and BF3 had too many technical issues for me, across different PC's no less. I'll stick with BF3 probably for quite a few years. Might start looking again when BF5 comes out in 2016.

You shoulld also consider how the base played those games:
agreeing with your start
1942 > Vietnam - 2 years
Vietnam > BF2 - 1 year
BF2 -> 2142 - 1 year (Interesting diversion, but we only played for 6 months
{BACK to BF2}
2142 > BC1 - 2 years really? a console only game doesn't belong on this list of PC games) SKIP !
so really BF2 > BC2 was 4-5 years for MANY players
BC2 > BF3 - 1 year ( sorry, multiplayer community just wasn't ready and many strayed away due to the lack of the old BF open map feel)

The direct sequel to bf2 is bf3.

I thought the first MOH had potential, just lacked polish and content, due to a rushed release schedule. (2 different engines.....) If they improve those two things, it alone could most likely destroy the COD franchise, simply due to Frostbite2.

Battlefield 4 though...... i just cant fathom Dice releasing a "new" Battlefield, modern military fps shooter 6 or 8 months after it releases the last DLC for BF3. It just doesn't make sense to me. I cannot imagine what they could possibly change, or add to make it even close to being a worthy sequel. (But then again activision has been doing it for years) I am really interested though to see if Battlefield 4 turns out being something other than modern military, for example 2143 named BF4 or something like that.

Having seen the new MP trailer for MOH. It seems exactly like a "pretty" COD. Complete with killstreaks.

As for BF4. I agree. I get the feeling that DICE felt they did such a bang up job with SInglePlayer, the story needs to continue soon. I have a feeling it's going to add little to multiplayer and just be about the singleplayer campaign. Sure, we'll have new vehicles (can we have new weapons? I think they added them all .. besides flintlocks and muskets) and maps, but as far as core changes. I doubt anything revolutionary will come out of it.

Granted, they'd probably get me if they did some simple things to the game:
- Bigger maps all around, not waiting 1 year down the line. Unique elements to each (remember Aberdeen, Coral Sea, and Battle of Britain? All had unique gameplay).
- 6 Man Squads
- VOIP for PC
- PC-centric server code
- Proper Joystick support (if you haven't seen it, BF3 doesn't have this. It takes the first USB game device, so rudder pedals/etc are out)
- Commander Mode
- Better balance of "teamplay" points with "kill" points.
- Mod support
- Capture the mf-ing flag

I'm sure it'll include Wake Island and who knows, maybe they'll resurrect and bastardize another classic map like El Alamein or Battleaxe.

Last edited:
For myself and my mates, Battlefield 3 was EASILY the least played and shortest lived BF game we've EVER played.

Too annoying in too many ways, and ultimately never a fun experience. BFBC2 was the last decent iteration, and it plays like butter compared to laggy BF3. And that fact truly horrifies me as I distinctly remember being equally horrified at how input-laggy BC2 was compared to BF2.

BF4 coming so soon is clearly gunna be a glorified BF3 mod. They'll slap extra shader effects onto the already bloated engine and it'll play like total and utter shit.

BF is dead. :(

For myself and my mates, Battlefield 3 was EASILY the least played and shortest lived BF game we've EVER played.

Same here. I think within two months or so of release, no one I knew was playing it regularly anymore.

I just can't even fathom doing that considering how abominable that last MOH game was.

MOH allied assault was the only one i thought was good

WW2 games are the just awesome ( dont count world at war :( )

anybody play day of defeat the first one? game was fucking amazing.

Things would be handled server side (hit detection, etc). The client-side bs started happening with console ports.

With how fast servers are and the average network speed in the US, there's no excuse to not have a lot of the work done away from the client. It's the whole reason cheats are so prevalent, the client can tell the server who they hit.

so?
Are BF players not allowed to play anything else in the franchise? Did EA give those othergames to us for free? (wait, I know i payed for them...)

I don't think that was what he was saying. He was saying BF3 is the direct sequel to BF2 and it was five+ years apart. You can enjoy the mid games all you want and still be a BF fan. But those were not classifying themselves as direct sequels. They were side projects.

Last edited:
I really hope this is BF2143, just using the Battlefield 4 name. I am still enjoying my time with BF3 but not wanting a sequel just yet.

Things would be handled server side (hit detection, etc). The client-side bs started happening with console ports.

With how fast servers are and the average network speed in the US, there's no excuse to not have a lot of the work done away from the client. It's the whole reason cheats are so prevalent, the client can tell the server who they hit.

I don't know about consoles; that change happened mid-way through the CS betas...around beta 7 if I remember correctly. But yes, I hate lag compensation and all the BS it causes in regards to hit detection, etc.

I apologise if it was posted, but I just took a little jaunt through the Battlefield facebook page and the user comments are flooding in. I'd say roughly 95% of the feedback has been extremely negative.

Fear not guys, the facebook community is giving them something to chew on too. The fans are NOT happy about this. I just hope someone at EA is listening...

A late 2013 early 2014 release wouldn't bother me TOO much, but I guess its the super early announcement that has everyone (myself included) a little unsettled.

Wait, wait, wait.............
WHO SAID BATTLEFIELD 4 wont return to World War 2 era?
what else they can do? 2142 ?
or maybe simply copy-paste as Activation with COD/MW gameplay......

I hate when companies do this kind of thing. Release a new game a year after it's previous title specially with all the DLC it's trying to sell. This kind of thing always split up the community in half for these games and kills the online population.

Example: Call of Duty 4 players hate all the newer COD games and will not play the other COD games online. MW2 players will not jump to MW3 because they like the maps/game mechanics etc.. better. And the people that are new to COD will likely play MW3. This might be a bad example but it's spliting up the community. EA should just work on DLCs for BF3 and continue to improve the game so this won't happen. And this way won't cheapen the BF franchises like Activision did with the COD and Guitar Hero.

After the disappointment of BF3 gameplay, then the "Pay to Win" packages and stream of money grabbing DLC and "Premium" bullshit, EA and Dice can blow me. I'll never buy another game BF game.

Give me BF1942 and the Desert Combat mod. Or hell, even BFBC2.

EA is on track to ruin all of its franchises with market oversaturation, ridiculous money-grabbing schemes, forcing its developers to cater to the lowest common denominator, and sequel fatigue. It's going to make ditching the shitty publisher so much easier, since up until recently the games it published were mostly decent. Now looking at what is happening to BF, MOH, Dead Space, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, etc. it's an easy decision to leave this POS company behind.

Last edited:
Its a race to the bottom, so fucking depressing. :(

It really is.

Personally when EA decided that bf3 no longer needed a working hardcore mode I gave up. The fix they had was to rent your own server. Yea no thanks.

I don't see myself buying another ea game.

Man... lots of hate going on.

Well Ill buy it if it has commanders and voip.......

That's the reason for the hate: players are still lamenting the death of the good ol' days of the FPS genre, where things like VOIP, mods and dedicated servers were the norm.

Gotta hand it to EA though: they got players to pay a surcharge per-slot (over and above the cost of the server rental) just for the privilege to host a server for their game, and they didn't even provide basic admin tools or reserved slots. It is seriously the most expensive FPS game to host, ever, and EA stopped developing for the server client after 5 months...amazingly insulting.

Why anyone would host a BF4 server after BF3 is beyond me. IMO, BF3 is the best-looking, best-sounding FPS to date, but the game was developed with shareholders in mind first and foremost; gamers a very distant second.

Good news everyone! Remember all the missing features promised for BF3 and all the broken ones yet to be fixed? Well all you have to do is buy BF4 and you are all set!

http://www.reddit.com/r/battlefield3/comments/wpzyo/battlefield_4_beta_official_information/

Hey Guys,

Seeing a lot of questions about the BF4 beta announce and thought that'd I make a thread where you can find official, definitive information and help to address some concerns that I'm seeing.

The beta will be in Fall of 2013. We don't have a BF4 release date yet but, of course, it will be after the beta.

We will continue to support BF3. DICE and EA are dedicated to continuing our support for Battlefield 3. Just as we've continued to support and maintain Bad Company 2, we intend to continue providing the best Battlefield 3 experience we can well into the future and past the release of End Game and Battlefield 4.

There are several teams at DICE. Starting work on Battlefield 4 does not mean that we will be abandoning Battlefield 3 or working any less hard to bring you the best expansions we can.

Your feedback absolutely matters. We will continue to use it to improve BF3 and to make Battlefield 4 even better from day one.

Official details regarding BF4 will always be on Battlefield.com/battlefield-4. We expect there to be a lot of rumours and speculation - don't fall for it! ;)

Let me know if you guys have other concerns. Obviously, at this point there are some things that we don't know or that we're keeping under wraps.

Today's a busy day so it may take me some time to get back to you - thanks for your patience!

Ian

EDIT: Additional points of clarification

There will be other ways to get into the beta aside from MoH Warfighter. At this time, however, it is the only way to guarantee entry.

We've been seeing a lot of concerns about the pacing of release (i.e. "only" two years after BF3). I think it's worth noting that DICE has released a Battlefield game every two years or sooner AND Mirror's Edge at least every two years. I truly believe that we're in one of the best positions to be creating our next title - Frostbite 2 has matured, we've been gathering fan feedback like crazy, Battlefield 3 continues to expand with features which we can learn from, and we've got more data about how people play than ever.

EDIT: Additional clarification

Things that we recognize that there is a serious desire for, including but not exclusive to:

A better VOIP solution

Battle Recorder

Spectator Mode

More robust eSports support

http://www.reddit.com/r/battlefield3/comments/wpzyo/battlefield_4_beta_official_information/c5fgvil

crash7800BF3 Community Manager said:
We know there have been a lot of complaints about the UI

We are taking them into serious consideration. UI is a big point of focus for us in BF4

Ahahahahahahaha!

Last edited:
Brilliant!

Remove VOIP
Remove Battle Recorder
Remove Spectator mode
etc

Then add it all back in the sequel! That way people HAVE to buy it!

Pure genius I tell you!

Seems like a lot of hate out there, but it still is a long ways off. I personally am excited for BF4. I never was a COD person. I think my next computer build will be for this late next year.

Good thing I didn't pay for the Premium membership because it won't carry over to BF4. :rolleyes: So more nickel and dimeing. Thanks! For the record, I am usually in favor of DLC, map packs, other paid items but not this one.

Good thing I didn't pay for the Premium membership because it won't carry over to BF4. :rolleyes: So more nickel and dimeing. Thanks! For the record, I am usually in favor of DLC, map packs, other paid items but not this one.

Premium has apparently been such a smashing success for EA that I'm sure they'll implement something similar for BF4. I won't know, though.

Back