Battlefield 3 - Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still curious, and I don't think anyone answered...

Has anyone experienced the suppressive fire mechanic in-game? If so, how did it seem to work? Well?

I thought that was a very cool addition to the game that I'm very interested in knowing as to whether or not it actually has any real effect or "value" in-game.

I notice a slight blur to my screen when I'm being fired at. It's pretty cool. I've also scored a good bit of points from laying down just one or two shots on an enemy that someone else killed(10 points per).

I really like the effect with the laser sight, and I thought I saw a flashlight on me in the subway last night, it was cool.

I notice a slight blur to my screen when I'm being fired at. It's pretty cool. I've also scored a good bit of points from laying down just one or two shots on an enemy that someone else killed(10 points per).

I really like the effect with the laser sight, and I thought I saw a flashlight on me in the subway last night, it was cool.

that "flashlight" is not a flashlight its the sniper scope on a rifle.. the effect is so bad for snipers it looks like a light house beacon and needs toned down or removed

that "flashlight" is not a flashlight its the sniper scope on a rifle.. the effect is so bad for snipers it looks like a light house beacon and needs toned down or removed

Engineers have a flashlight to blind.

http://ca.kotaku.com/5809656/rushing-through-battlefield-3s-reworked-multiplayer

The Engineer can repair vehicles, and take them down. He also has this bizarre little addition: An underslung flashlight mounted to his weapon that can blind other players when its pointed at them. In action, that flashlight makes it hard to pinpoint an enemy, but not impossible to eventually hit them.

Did you report the issues? That is the hole point of the alpha.

Yes, I did. My hatred of the browser is the diconnect between clicking join...and joining. You're outside the game, then you have to start the game and wait for it to load, then join. An in game browser elimnates most of that wait. Moreover, there is NO WAY to access the options WITHOUT BEING IN A SERVER. Now, I don't know if that's POR, but it BLOWS.

Gameplay feels cumbersome, animations fire sometimes and things do not happen - vaulting is the most anonying thing of all time. You die too fast sometimes, and other times hit detection seems off, when my ping is fine.

There was an instance where holding E didn't defuse.

I've been in alphas before....the feel of this is so off that I cannot see if being fixed *to my liking* by the time it ships.

Thanks for the response, I was really curious about how well this was actually implemented, since they've been really hyping it up.

Sounds quite cool.

Did it also make it more difficult/inaccurate to fire, as they've claimed?

Maybe you didn't return fire when it happened, but I'd love to know if they really managed to make it that in-depth/effective.

Thanks for the response, I was really curious about how well this was actually implemented, since they've been really hyping it up.

Sounds quite cool.

Did it also make it more difficult/inaccurate to fire, as they've claimed?

Maybe you didn't return fire when it happened, but I'd love to know if they really managed to make it that in-depth/effective.

At first I didn't return fire because I was sure I was "hit" with bullets. But now I can differentiate between close fire and being hit.

At first I didn't return fire because I was sure I was "hit" with bullets. But now I can differentiate between close fire and being hit.

Ah, interesting... sort of gives the player pause then as well, because they might think they were hit. It's good that you're able to differentiate between the two, but in the heat of battle, I bet it'll make it more intense, both in terms of the realism of bullets flying by your face, as well as maybe always giving you that moments pause, thinking you actually just took fire.

I'd think that would definitely make the game more intense.

And the failures of quickmatch and all servers giving an error that they are full? Hmm? Went on all of last night.

I never use quickmatch and yes servers fill up, FAST. The alpha is very busy, they're deliberately stress testing, I even got an email asking to come online at a certain time to try and further push the servers. It's not an error that they are full, they are really fucking full. Click it to refresh it and it will probably come up as 32/32.

At worst it takes me a couple minutes to find a suitable server, filter for servers that aren't full and try to find one that isn't sitting at 31 slots. Not that difficult.

This is actually the first game ive used quick match for, and it hasnt let me down once. I for one have been thinking the Alpha has been going really well, I think too many people are expecting too much out of it however. My biggest complaint right now is the game freezes for me constantly, but whatever its an alpha. Also the vehicle gets stuck a lot, but again, alpha.

Ill reserve final judgement on release, dont want to be eating my words or anything. I have a feeling a lot of people in this thread will be going through that.

Total time it takes for me to get into a game, less than 5 seconds.

click quick match, click join, game loads in about 5-10 seconds, im playing. I hope it remains this way. From desktop to gameplay in about 15-20 seconds? I couldnt be happier.

It still amazes me that people enjoy playing on non-hardcore. 3D spotting is stupid, so is having to dump the better part of a clip into someone's head to kill them.

The 3d spotting is a problem in the Park portion but the subway/ticketbooth and city portions are alright.

1-2 shots. I rarely use single fire outside of sniper rifles so I can't say what is the minimum. And normal damage is really good. Without head shots you can still manage 3-4 kills,hitting center mass, on a 30 round clip.

Spotting isnt as bad as bc2, Ive noticed 80 percent of the time if they go prone/out of view the tag dissappears quickly.

there are no 'clips' in bf3.

The thing I've noticed about spotting is it's sometimes much higher than they're head or body is. Like when they go prone and crouch. Not sure if that's intended or what.

Also, the only real problem I've encountered so far is these invisible walls and boundaries I keep hitting out in the park area. I'll be moving forward and just stop. I'll have to jump or go to the left or right to get around it. It's really weird.

The thing I've noticed about spotting is it's sometimes much higher than they're head or body is. Like when they go prone and crouch. Not sure if that's intended or what.

Also, the only real problem I've encountered so far is these invisible walls and boundaries I keep hitting out in the park area. I'll be moving forward and just stop. I'll have to jump or go to the left or right to get around it. It's really weird.

this seems to be a bug where physics shit like broken trees don't match up on client and server.

you're usually walking into an invisible downed tree.

I can also guarantee the web browser will be in the final build. Otherwise it wouldn't have options for co-op and single player. That kind of sucks.

I can also guarantee the web browser will be in the final build. Otherwise it wouldn't have options for co-op and single player. That kind of sucks.

So basically an "always on" DRM, I have noticed that as well and I am not happy about it. I have however seen several people stating that the dev's via twitter have confirmed the final build will conventional menus and a server browser.

I got an email invite to join the Alpha tonight. My coworker got an invite too. Can't wait to fire this up after work. :D

So far my impressions of this game are it will be okay. I really don't like the menus and chat system so far. Hopefully it will improve. I really hate how it goes through each award after the round. BC2's system was far superior.

And again, why the hell can't I see the scoreboard at the deploy screen and why can't I bring up the esc menu when at the deploy screen? I have to spawn, then exit. Ridiculous.

They have said on the Alpha forums that a LOT of the UI is just placeholders. There is simply NO way they would release it like it is now, I mean... look at its current text system. That just... no way it's even close to done lol.

Does anyone else have to run in windows mode only?? At least it does work on my PLP setup though...

So far im LOVING it...as buggy as it is now iv wanted BF3 so bad for so long id pay $60 for the it if it was the Alpha version lol, but shhhh dont tell EA that or they will start selling games in Alpha condition.

My only core complaints (that i havent read here so far like 3D spotting and its unreliability) are they need to raise the damage of RPG's. It takes 4+ RPG's to blow up the LAV. Also from my little bit of experience with snipers, they arent powerful enough. Needing 3-4 shots center mass with a .308 bullet is just stupid.
Quick Question, is it true the Alpha ends August 1st?

To answer a few questions from the past few pages:

Screen blur from fire suppression is effective but its not overdone. Once you get familiarized with the way it works, youll know if your getting shot or getting shot AT. I was very pessimistic about the feature when I heard about it but it works really well.

Eyefinity, not really gonna happen on high settings on anything less than a pair of 6970s at the least with a fast processor...and even then it may not make a difference. I HAVE a pair of 6970s and in eyefinity (5760x1200) it creeps around 15fps on high without any action going on and putting it on Auto seems to keep me right around 30fps...though I think its a bit distracting on Auto as its changing the settings on the fly so you get texture flicker if its on the border of being able to do one setting or the other..

Ah, interesting... sort of gives the player pause then as well, because they might think they were hit. It's good that you're able to differentiate between the two, but in the heat of battle, I bet it'll make it more intense, both in terms of the realism of bullets flying by your face, as well as maybe always giving you that moments pause, thinking you actually just took fire.

I'd think that would definitely make the game more intense.

The effects are spot on in my opinion. It really makes it hard to return fire. The sound in the game is what has me extremely impressed. It's a very intense experience when you're running across the park and you see bullets spraying around you and your vision is getting slightly blurred. It makes you react with trying to save yourself, rather than turn on the spot and return fire. I always head for cover then peak out now, whereas in bc2 I would be able to turn on the spot and kill a guy 3/4 of the time. Not in this game lol.

EDIT: for clarification, when I say "see bullets spraying around you" I mean the occasional bullet flying by and the others hitting the ground around you.

So far im LOVING it...as buggy as it is now iv wanted BF3 so bad for so long id pay $60 for the it if it was the Alpha version lol, but shhhh dont tell EA that or they will start selling games in Alpha condition.

My only core complaints (that i havent read here so far like 3D spotting and its unreliability) are they need to raise the damage of RPG's. It takes 4+ RPG's to blow up the LAV. Also from my little bit of experience with snipers, they arent powerful enough. Needing 3-4 shots center mass with a .308 bullet is just stupid.
Quick Question, is it true the Alpha ends August 1st?

dont forget, it only takes about 2-3 to disable the vehicle, making follow up shots very easy. most drivers hop out at this point, which is when i run in repair and take off with it.

yes..hit Esc..then you should see a menu for video options among other things.."enable Fullscreen"
you have to be in game..as in a server for this to work.

I dont have to worry about that, i bought MOH so i will be in the Beta. Another thing i forgot that NEEDS to be changed is they still have the white streaking smoke from snipers and that is just WRONG. The flicker (which i like) is more than enough of a position hint.

Yeah true it does get disabled (vehicles) after 2-3 but still, i fire 3 and then i need another 2 to destroy it? 5 in total? Idk seems wrong.
I LOVEEEEEE the suppression affect, both when shot at and making others experience it.

I got a redeem code (and I don't even know how). Should I care?

I would thank you till the end of time if you would give it to me. I'm a level 5 veteran, subscribed to the newsletter months ago, and play Bad Company 2 all the time. EA neglected me.

I would even be willing to donate $10 to charity through the Humble Indie Bundle, you get to keep the games!

Please PM me. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back