Battlefield 3 - Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still not crazy about Battlelog, though I understand what EA is/was aiming for with it as an all-in-one-place sort of thing. It's been fairly stable for me through the alpha and now this, but I won't lie--given a choice, I'd still gladly take an in-game server browser.
 
Good point I forgot to bring up. Like last night there were numerous times I stopped playing but left Battlelog logged in. Came back and fired up a game when I was ready. I didn't have to go through an hour of waiting for the actual game to load.

Wonderful change.

If any game takes an hour to load you might have an issue. ;)

MW2 takes me less than 30 seconds to get in, and get into a game.

The process is the same, but excludes the BS browser launching. More intuitive and user friendly as well.

What happens when the internet is down and you want to play some Single Player? Guess what, currently you can't.

How's that for useless? I'm sure they'll change it somehow, because otherwise this is just stupid.
 
I also think the flashlight is so overpowered outdoors... The laser sight pointing into your eyes is annoying... It should happen only if they aim for your face and not in the general direction
 
I haven't even installed the hotfix drivers and this thing runs smooth as butter on my 6970 :).

Quite fun so far.
 
If any game takes an hour to load you might have an issue. ;)

MW2 takes me less than 30 seconds to get in, and get into a game.

The process is the same, but excludes the BS browser launching. More intuitive and user friendly as well.

What happens when the internet is down and you want to play some Single Player? Guess what, currently you can't.

How's that for useless? I'm sure they'll change it somehow, because otherwise this is just stupid.

What does that have to do with battlelog? Sounds like an Origin issue if anything. Seriously, we get that you HATE battelog. How can you even claim it isn't "intuitive"? You click on a server and click join, thats it.
 
Battlelog needs to be loaded to play Single Player, or have you looked at that yet?
 
[H]ocusPocus;1037813365 said:
+1

Although I have to say this sounds like something a dev could address in about 10 minutes so I won't be surprised if they change this.

They never did on bc2. You still have to load the next map if you want to kick out without killing the game.
 
Good point I forgot to bring up. Like last night there were numerous times I stopped playing but left Battlelog logged in. Came back and fired up a game when I was ready. I didn't have to go through an hour of waiting for the actual game to load.

Wonderful change.

Yeah I just leave it on all the time too. Chrome is gonna be open no matter what so it's all good.
 
After a couple days of playing, my overall impression of this beta has been... meh.

My hype level far surpassed what I am seeing while playing. Animations are clunky, there are severe clipping issues, graphical anomalies (flashing colors), incomplete keymapping options.. the list goes on.

Weapons kick like a mule, flashlights are insanely bright/overpowered, sniper scope flare is a bit overdone, the in-game chat box looks like a DOS window...

Even with all of these complaints, I do see flashes of brilliance. The short time I was able to play Caspian was definitely the best experience I have had in the beta so far. It had that Battlefield feel to it that Metro was sorely lacking. That experience was short-lived however as the match quickly descended into a lag-ridden stutter fest that was completely unplayable.

Yes, I know it's a beta and I will reserve judgement until the final product is released. But with less than a month to go I doubt all of the issues I am seeing can be fixed.
 
am I the only one that can't get this SHITTY ASS web browser bullshit to work?

All I get when I click on MP, Home (most of the time) is "sorry, something technical went wrong."

I can't join a game, I can't filter servers (it's stuck on full/empty filter, every damn time I try to change it, "SORRRY ERROR BLAH BLAH BLAH."

So tired of this, I HATED this web-browser shit in alpha, and it's even more annoying now.

WHY can't they put this in-game like EVERY OTHER SHOOTER?

This shit died out int he 90's for a good reason.
 
so much for people praising the web browser crap in the first alpha haha, now when there is x100 more players u all see how crap it handles the load.. BS.
 
am I the only one that can't get this SHITTY ASS web browser bullshit to work?

All I get when I click on MP, Home (most of the time) is "sorry, something technical went wrong."

I can't join a game, I can't filter servers (it's stuck on full/empty filter, every damn time I try to change it, "SORRRY ERROR BLAH BLAH BLAH."

So tired of this, I HATED this web-browser shit in alpha, and it's even more annoying now.

WHY can't they put this in-game like EVERY OTHER SHOOTER?

This shit died out int he 90's for a good reason.

I agree, I cannot stand the server browser in the web browser. Clunky. Also, isn't MP the only option for the beta? The other options say not available.

Another gripe I have is getting to the video/key binding options. Seriously wtf?
 
so much for people praising the web browser crap in the first alpha haha, now when there is x100 more players u all see how crap it handles the load.. BS.

I haven't had a single issue with battlelog. All of my issues have to do with the game itself.
 
I didn't have any problem with Battlelog... thought it was quick and painless to get in a game.
 
Any tips on getting a game going? Match making is taking forever and every server I click to join is full though it showed open spots. Can you even refresh the server list?

Not a good experience so far.
 
This is the only real valid complaint I see. I feel the same way.





This was required to do ONCE. Every time I enter a game or click on the window it goes fullscreen.

What happens currently:

- Launch Battlelog
- Select Server - Join
- Game Loads and when connected is minimized in the taskbar
- Click on "Go to Game" or the taskbar window and the game launches fullscreen.
- If I alt-tab it goes to a windowed mode, but again resumes fullscreen when going back to the game.

I got the directions like two posts after my original. Thanks though, that part is working fine now it seems like.

To my other points, I can see where a web browser based system could be very powerful. I like powerful. I don't like having to kick out of the game to swap servers. If it were me, I'd stick the browser within the game. Purely personal preference. Whatever it winds up being, I'm sure I'll adapt and shrug it off.
 
am I the only one that can't get this SHITTY ASS web browser bullshit to work?

All I get when I click on MP, Home (most of the time) is "sorry, something technical went wrong."

I can't join a game, I can't filter servers (it's stuck on full/empty filter, every damn time I try to change it, "SORRRY ERROR BLAH BLAH BLAH."

Pretty sure it never said any of this.


After a couple days of playing, my overall impression of this beta has been... meh.

My hype level far surpassed what I am seeing while playing. Animations are clunky, there are severe clipping issues, graphical anomalies (flashing colors), incomplete keymapping options.. the list goes on.

Weapons kick like a mule, flashlights are insanely bright/overpowered, sniper scope flare is a bit overdone, the in-game chat box looks like a DOS window...

Even with all of these complaints, I do see flashes of brilliance. The short time I was able to play Caspian was definitely the best experience I have had in the beta so far. It had that Battlefield feel to it that Metro was sorely lacking. That experience was short-lived however as the match quickly descended into a lag-ridden stutter fest that was completely unplayable.

Yes, I know it's a beta and I will reserve judgement until the final product is released. But with less than a month to go I doubt all of the issues I am seeing can be fixed.

Not only is it a beta, but it's using an older build. I'm sure a proper chat window and such will be in the release.

so much for people praising the web browser crap in the first alpha haha, now when there is x100 more players u all see how crap it handles the load.. BS.

No issues here.

I agree, I cannot stand the server browser in the web browser. Clunky. Also, isn't MP the only option for the beta? The other options say not available.

Another gripe I have is getting to the video/key binding options. Seriously wtf?

Clunky? Haha. Everyone is having key binding issues. Beta

Battlelog needs to be loaded to play Single Player, or have you looked at that yet?

That's all you're clinging to now? Move along son. Go back to CoD
 
It's amazing how some developers don't lash out at people more.

You gotta have thick skin to work a title like this I suppose. Some people will just never be impressed and some people are just too stupid to realize what a beta is.
 
You gotta have thick skin to work a title like this I suppose. Some people will just never be impressed and some people are just too stupid to realize what a beta is.

They just don't look is all.

Also, the majority of open beta's are just glorified stress tests/public demo's.

Most studios are intelligent enough to have the bugs worked out BEFORE it's a month until release.

I mean shit, BF3 still has baaaad hit registration(probably the same monkeys from BC2 working on it), horrible server stability, game breaking map bugs, etc... etc...

People don't expect this kind of BS from an open beta.
 
I got the directions like two posts after my original. Thanks though, that part is working fine now it seems like.

To my other points, I can see where a web browser based system could be very powerful. I like powerful. I don't like having to kick out of the game to swap servers. If it were me, I'd stick the browser within the game. Purely personal preference. Whatever it winds up being, I'm sure I'll adapt and shrug it off.

I've been trying to find a way to word this. Basically Battlelog IS the game. You're referring to "game" as like launching BC2. With Battlelog you're simply connecting to a server and it's launching the window so you can play. The "game" is always running in the background.

So say they fix the menu and let you hit ESC before deploying. All you would do is ESC, exit the game, be back at your desktop with the Battlelog, do whatever the hell, and rejoin to another server.

There's almost no difference. With BC2 you still had to leave the server/match to get back to the browser. With BF3 it's just closing a window and then relaunching.
 
They just don't look is all.

Also, the majority of open beta's are just glorified stress tests/public demo's.

Most studios are intelligent enough to have the bugs worked out BEFORE it's a month until release.

I mean shit, BF3 still has baaaad hit registration(probably the same monkeys from BC2 working on it), horrible server stability, game breaking map bugs, etc... etc...

People don't expect this kind of BS from an open beta.

Smart people do. People who understand the industry and the terminologies do. This isn't a demo. I would expect a demo to be more refined and polished. To be a better indication of the final product.

A beta is not that. A beta is strictly for testing. We already know it's an older build. What they're testing is server load, Battlelog load, last minute bugs, etc.

This is not a demo.

That's why they have different names: Pre-Alpha, Alpha, Beta, Demo, Retail.

I really expect a solid launch. I would be disappointed if it wasn't.
 
You gotta have thick skin to work a title like this I suppose. Some people will just never be impressed and some people are just too stupid to realize what a beta is.

I guess thick skin is part of it. But just the sheer amount of people with the lack of simple understanding. Boggles the mind.


Hey if the launch sucks like hell and there are rampant problems I'll gladly eat my words.
 
Last minutes bugs, lolol.

Smart people are the same people that have propagated the "open beta/demo" mixology.

I understand you're a fan, as am I, sadly BF3 won't be getting my money due to a number of reasons anymore. That said neither will COD, since I am not a COD fan either. I'll just keep my BF2 server alive a lot longer than anticipated, and see how BF3 looks a year after their demo... or sorry open-beta lol.
 
They just don't look is all.

Also, the majority of open beta's are just glorified stress tests/public demo's.

Most studios are intelligent enough to have the bugs worked out BEFORE it's a month until release.

I mean shit, BF3 still has baaaad hit registration(probably the same monkeys from BC2 working on it), horrible server stability, game breaking map bugs, etc... etc...

People don't expect this kind of BS from an open beta.

I havn't tried beta yet but I had no issues at all with hit detection in the alpha.

The gameplay felt smooth and incredibly responsive, as opposed to BC2's "underwater" feel.
 
Anybody else having it crash to desktop right before the end of round? Like every damn time, I would really like to keep my unlocks and points kthx.
 
[Paragon];1037813788 said:
Anybody else having it crash to desktop right before the end of round? Like every damn time, I would really like to keep my unlocks and points kthx.

Are you opening the game as administrator?
Haven't had a single crash so far
 
I havn't tried beta yet but I had no issues at all with hit detection in the alpha.

The gameplay felt smooth and incredibly responsive, as opposed to BC2's "underwater" feel.

It's odd, some rounds it takes an excessive amount of 'hits' to bring someone down, other's one hit one kill.

I've attributed a certain amount of this to player skill of course, but it just feels odd sometimes. While it may not be hit detection, maybe just excessive server issues in general.
 
man.. 3 rounds of 7k points... all 3 times "connection to server lost".. ARGG.. I WANT MY EOD bot... They should just unlock all the weapons and addons...

Atleast till they find out whats going on..
 
Don't like the launch from browser stuff. Not in the least. Don't want to have to relaunch the game every time I decide to play on a different server.

The alt enter to fullscreen after the game starts... I wonder who came up with that one and if he's tired of having his asshole stuffed with broken glass yet.

Games feels slower and more tactical than bc2 ever did on rush.

Can't quit the game till you spawn. Sometimes I don't want to load the next map. Or respawn.

this was the same way in BC2, no qwuitting till you spawned. the game loads in about a minute for me, which is faster than loading levels in BC2. Not to mention how much better the server browser works than BC2's did for most of the games life and bf2's was utter horseshit


It's a fair question.

Obviously I haven't tried Battlelog for getting into games, but I'm wondering if the problems people are having are due to load? The alpha players seemed to think the new server browser was far better than any of the previous in-game browsers, and obviously the player pool would have been much smaller.
Im guessing alot of it is load

Also, if they listened to the community they wouldn't have kept the browser launching implementation.

We(those of us that hate battlelog BS) don't care if the method of use is the same in game as it is in the browser, and it's not a resource issue(for most). It's a matter of listening to what the community wants instead of being fucking hitler about it and forcing shit down our throats that doesn't benefit the community at all. It's ugly, back-asswards, and I can see it causing MANY more issues in the next year than a simple menu system in game would.
.

boo fucking hoo dude, the community isnt always right, and people are morons. what do you do for a living? I'm guessing its not anything close to programming this scale of an interface, so what exactly do you bring to the table besides tears?

The difference is night and day apparently, but it's still buggy and unreliable(it's more of a beta than the game is right now).

I still think an in-game system would be better, period.

see above remark. I write some software and web apps, but nothing to this scale, so I am keeping my mouth shut instead of telling others who know better than me how to do their job

I still don't get why DICE thinks that not being able to adjust options in game unless you are deployed is a good idea.
Why can't we quit(aside from task manager/alt+F4) until we are deployed either?
Seriously are their dev's fucking retarded monkeys? Ever since BF:BC2 shit has been reallly flowing downhill. Someone became in charge, and had some fun ideas and money to back it up, and we get to "reap the benefits"...

I agree 100% that the implementation of this is flawed, a small program to edit settings outside the game would be nice, I remember back in w95 days you had to it like that in most games(LOL cant remember the last time I talked nicely about shit that old). I remember all the issues I had with blops I think it was that by default it tried to launch at a res my DLP TV couldnt run and I couldnt change it till I dug through settings files to find the defaults(I am hoping that bf3 stores info alot like BC2 did and someone will write a config editor for it, or maybe I should slate some free time after the beta closes to look into it?)


If any game takes an hour to load you might have an issue. ;)

MW2 takes me less than 30 seconds to get in, and get into a game.

The process is the same, but excludes the BS browser launching. More intuitive and user friendly as well.

What happens when the internet is down and you want to play some Single Player? Guess what, currently you can't.

How's that for useless? I'm sure they'll change it somehow, because otherwise this is just stupid
.

yup hate that, dont go post this in a diablo 3 thread through or you will get tar and feathered.

we dont know if SP will have a separate way to launch(hope so) but its obviously in battlelog)
 
They just don't look is all.

Also, the majority of open beta's are just glorified stress tests/public demo's.

Most studios are intelligent enough to have the bugs worked out BEFORE it's a month until release.

I mean shit, BF3 still has baaaad hit registration(probably the same monkeys from BC2 working on it), horrible server stability, game breaking map bugs, etc... etc...

People don't expect this kind of BS from an open beta.

lol Hit detection bad? It's amazing in this game.
 
Last minutes bugs, lolol.

Smart people are the same people that have propagated the "open beta/demo" mixology.

I understand you're a fan, as am I, sadly BF3 won't be getting my money due to a number of reasons anymore. That said neither will COD, since I am not a COD fan either. I'll just keep my BF2 server alive a lot longer than anticipated, and see how BF3 looks a year after their demo... or sorry open-beta lol.

Developers are given set deadlines to get the game out, so they get the game in a somewhat-workable state and good developers will bust their asses working on a Day 1 patch (the bad ones start on DLC). That's how the industry works now, unfortunately. Clearly DICE isn't going to have time to get any of the fixes that need to be done in time to send the game off for printing - it has probably already left for printing anyway.

The open beta basically means those fixes will actually be available at-or-around launch via a patch, rather than the game being on the shelves for 2-4 weeks with no patch and getting a bad reputation because the bug and balance reports only started coming in after Launch Day.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top