Battlefield 3 going to be awful ?

9 maps, and they are said to support every mode. I don't know in practice how much each map changes though, since in the previous games some of the variants could be considered different maps, just using the same art assets.

For people bringing up Bad Company 2, personal preferences aside, BC2 was actually voted PC GOTY overwhelmingly on these forums. Not by "paid of professionals," not by "console gamers" and etc. BF games have not historically launched problem free, especially since they push the envelope (Even games that don't, have problems at launch, eg. Black Ops) yet it didn't seem to stop people loving the previous games.

if you pre-ordered @ amazon, i wonder if you get the extra maps or if it is preorder from origin only...

All preorders (well from authorized distributors) are basically for the Limited Edition, which gets "Back to Karkand" for free. Your preorder should be for BF3 LE, not just BF3.

A BF3 fanboy won't admit that you like it more?

wat?

I love both series is all im saying and BF3 seems to find a happy medium between the more 'hardcore' tactical gameplay that BF2 was and the run and gun game that MW2 is. I'm not complaining at all. Just saying the typical BF fanboy would be all huffy and puffy over mentioning any comparison between the 2 being a good thing. Because BF3 is definitely incorporating MW elements into its MP gameplay. Not stealing, incorporating.
I think this is a great thing and may make BF3 the superior MP experience in the end.

:) Im already preordered on both games for day 1.
:D

Very disappointed. I was expecting a true BF2 sequel but alas its a BC2 clone. Clearly they should've named it BC3. It's a shame to call this BF3.

This game plays so unlike either of the BC games that I don't even have the words to refute the wrongness of that statement. It's 'all the wrongs'

Now, if you'd said, this plays like the Multiplayer side of last years Medal of Honor title, you'd be dead on.

I think that's a pretty fair assesment, with the omission of the Commander. BF3 feels more like BC2. It's still fun, but it really isn't a sequel if they keep removing features which were fine in BF2

They could stand to be a little more specific here to address concerns.

True but hey, they didn't have to allow such a huge public beta. If these things are in the full game we can be pissed off but until then everyone needs to effing chill...

They could stand to be a little more specific here to address concerns.

I think that single post should belay many concerns from the community. If you want to point a finger at anyone point at console manufacturers and there retarded approval process. But DICE is responsible in the end for making the shitty choice in choosing Metro and Rush mode as game map and type in the Beta , a piss poor choice to demonstrate a game that really lives in the Conquest mode.

My opinion is that Metro was probably the best map to test many of the games mechanics due to how it's structured: linear and relatively straightforward so a lot of players can get many kills and complete the objective which leads to more unlocks, testing of other weapons/accessories/perks, etc.

If you played on Caspian Border, I noticed it was difficult for newer players to understand what they were supposed to do or where to go, and usually less than half of either team would break 5 kills.

If you played on Caspian Border, I noticed it was difficult for newer players to understand what they were supposed to do or where to go, and usually less than half of either team would break 5 kills.

I've played in games where people were complaining how the map was too big / gameplay was too slow. They obviously didn't play the older Battlefield games. They'll go back to the COD franchise once the hype for this game dies off, which is perfectly fine by me as I wouldn't want to be playing with them to begin with. I've pre-ordered both because I like both games. MW3, mainly to finish off SP campaign and BF3 for multiplayer.

With that said, playing on Caspian Border 1080p @120Hz is unbelievable. It's somewhat like playing on CRT again (nothing matches FW900 days).

Have they removed anything obvious so far?
Squad system is limited to 4 players, cant rename squad, cant lock squad, cant mute players in squad, squad commander cant request commander support, Commander mode, aircraft joystick controls, button remapping, jet bombs, in game map is a joke, map coordinates, player classes, voice support command system.... I'm sure I'm missing a lot more. Just going off the top of my head :p

Squad system is limited to 4 players, cant rename squad, cant lock squad, cant mute players in squad, squad commander cant request commander support, Commander mode, aircraft joystick controls, button remapping, jet bombs, in game map is a joke, map coordinates, player classes, voice command system.... I'm sure I'm missing a lot more. Just going off the top of my head :p

Uhhh... besides map size and aircraft, those features are what made BF2 stand apart from the others....

Uhhh... besides map size and aircraft, those features are what made BF2 stand apart from the others....

ENEMY BOAT SPOTTED ENEMY INFANTRY SPOTTED ENEMY ARMOR SPOTTED ENEMY BOAT SPOTTED ENEMY INFANTRY SPOTTED ENEMY ARMOR SPOTTED ENEMY BOAT SPOTTED ENEMY INFANTRY SPOTTED ENEMY ARMOR SPOTTED ENEMY BOAT SPOTTED ENEMY INFANTRY SPOTTED ENEMY ARMOR SPOTTED ENEMY BOAT SPOTTED ENEMY INFANTRY SPOTTED ENEMY ARMOR SPOTTED ENEMY BOAT SPOTTED ENEMY INFANTRY SPOTTED ENEMY ARMOR SPOTTED ENEMY BOAT SPOTTED ENEMY INFANTRY SPOTTED ENEMY ARMOR SPOTTED

Everyone says the beta map sucks, how many maps are in the retail game ?
yes..Its 9 + 4 and in all modes..and all of the 9 original maps will have 2 versions..day and night. maybe the other 4 will have day and night modes also..

would be cool to play Strike At Karkand in the nighttime. same with Wake Island in the dark.

BF2 was constantly improved gameplay and performance wise for years after its release with patches. I am confident BF3 will evolve and improve as well.

Bad Company 2 was pretty damn buggy in beta, I think they did a pretty damn good job fixing those issues.

BC2 was a beta mess... release day the game was much better and DICE continued to improve it long after.

I've cancelled my pre-order and so have many of my friends

Cool story bro.

BF2 was constantly improved gameplay and performance wise for years after its release with patches. I am confident BF3 will evolve and improve as well.

BC2 was a beta mess... release day the game was much better and DICE continued to improve it long after.

Cool story bro.
The both of you are confusing optimizations with added gameplay. Fixing bullet drop, performance, balancing weapons, fixing spawns, etc. are not the same adding in core components like Commander Mode, Proper Squad support, Voice Command System etc.

If they started to reinvent the wheel in certain areas the n00bs would cry "WTF", the devs would listen and the shit would be removed. What we get release day is what we should expect for the coming years. Sure bullet drop, performance, balancing weapons, fixing spawns, etc. will be adjusted as needed and requested by the cry baby n00bs.

BF2 is from a different generation. I would not expect any free map packs from BF3. Paid DLCs are the future.

i really enjoy the game so far, but like others have said it is buggy as hell. kill cams constantly showing me shit through the world, crouched/prone players will clip walls/other objects, the camera points down after you press space to vault over an object. the list goes on, but to me the biggest thing that bothers me about this game is that you cant access the options menu (video, controls, etc) unless you are on a server and spawned. it will literally close the menu screen if you die. this is a huge frustration as i have been thus far unable to fine tune my video settings due to people shooting me while i try to change them. i guess its really not that big of an issue since the automatic settings seem to work perfectly on my pc. my pc does not meet the recommended system req, but the game runs flawlessly on my c2q q8200 with 4gb ddr2 and a geforce 460 1gb oced to 775mhz. i actually get substantially better fps than i did in bad company 2, which displayed an average of 25 fps for me, although the game ran smoothly. bf3 i get around 45 fps average, with drops down to about 35 at it worst.

also why do different teams have different weapons? why must i level them up separately? i was so happy to unlock the flashlight for my assault class, only to find out that it only works on my ak47 and wont apply to my m16, both of which are starting assault class weapons. this seems like a silly move imo. also that flashlight is ridiculous, i have never come across a flashlight that is as bright as those in game ones. even surefire flashlights do not appear to be a small sun when viewed from a distance. im training myself to shoot every time the screen turns completely white, but i do think that those flashlights are op, unrealistic, and will negatively affect gameplay unless they tone down the bloom. ive tried lowering the bloom effects, but it doesnt seem to make a difference, my buddy says it looks the same on his pc, screen goes almost completely white every time a person with a flashlight faces you.

i dont know why the removed most of the squad functionality that was available in BFBC2, i play with friends and we have such a hard time getting in the same squad. have to leave squad and join squad until it assigns you to the one you want. why cant we just pick the damn squad that we want?

If they started to reinvent the wheel in certain areas the n00bs would cry "WTF", the devs would listen and the shit would be removed.

So true.

BF2 is from a different generation. I would not expect any free map packs from BF3. Paid DLCs are the future.

Did we get free map packs in BF2? I remember buying Spec Ops, Armored Fury. Wake was free wasn't it?

Wake was free, and so were the add-ons not too long ago. So BF2 did get free map packs, it just took a few years.
BF2 also had a modding community size day one also. So map packs did not infuse the luster that they do today.

BTW I think this is worth mentioning for all the critics who thing the game will dynamically improve with enhancements down the line. The squad system for one has hit a stone wall.

http://n4g.com/news/855904/dice-squads-are-only-accessible-on-battlelog-no-squad-management-in-game

Hasn't every DICE game been buggy on release? Isn't this part for the course?

The beta build isn't the latest build of the game, it's months old.

Pretty retarded IMO. Hope they change their minds.

They've already said they are watching the feedback over it. It wouldn't be so bad if party join actually assigned you all to your own squad, it fails pretty often. The only real sure way is to party join an empty server.

I'm sure it will improve over time. How long will it take is the real question. It took a considerable amount of time for Dice to implement true widescreen in BF2 ( when I say a considerable amount of time; I'm referring to years). Commander armor drops took a considerable amount of time as well to implement.

I love all of you guys getting bent out of shape over this ! I never once said Battlefield 3 sucks, all I said is if the game is anything like the beta it will be awful ! Some of you guys saying that Dice backs there products have never played Bad Company 2, BBC2 went almost 6 months without seeing a patch. Even with this most recent patch there are still many bugs in the game ! Bad Company 2 was one of the worst releases I've ever played. The servers went down constantly, the server browser and friends list never worked properly. The game would crash to desktop for almost anyone with ATI cards. Nvidia has black screen and artifacts in the game.It took about a month for BBC2 to even be playable ! The BBC2 beta had bugs but not half as many as BF3's does right now.

Honestly I could never really get into BC2, but what I've played of BF3 I really like. Somehow the mechanics are just different and it's possible I might finally replace DoD:S as my goto mp shooter.

Guess I'm the only one that actually enjoys the beta? BF3 feels like it runs smoother than BC2 on my Q6600 / 6950. Apart from graphical flickering and minor animation glitches I haven't encountered any major bugs. The interface seems very well done, the weapon customization is great, and separating the server browser from the game code actually lets DICE fix their stupid server browser without having to patch the game (have any of their games ever launched with a decent browser?)

Yes there are a lot of bugs, but that's why you need to make sure they're aware of them, that's why Betas exist lol.

It's a very fun game, definitely nothing groundbreaking. Within the confines of what they're letting us play it feels just like BC2 with a different ''sauce'' on top.

I really can't fully say that i like or hate it (though i am enjoying it) until i play all the modes and get into some 64 player action, and i think you all should do the same. Betas technically aren't demos.

From a marketing point of view, they should have pop up a message saying that or something when the user runs it for the first time. I've read countless of comments regarding how bad it is with the retail version only a month away and how would they ever fix them in time. And I don't blame them, as logically one would think DICE would want to show us the most impressive version they have to encourage sales.

Back