Battlefield 3 General Discussion Thread

It's just be gone over before. I know this thread is too big to look through if you are just tuning in. But it's not really worth discussing anymore. It won't change for BF3 or probably BF4 and it's really not that bad. There are a lot of pro's to it with very few con's.

OK Guys, Running a 2600k @ 4.3GHz, 7870 @ 1.25GHz on Ultra 1080p, runs smooth but the gpu is @ 60-70%, 12.8 Drivers. Anyone else seeing this?
Vsync is off, FPS @ 50

Just something I noticed. Getting into a match is considerably long.

If you look on your task bar, you'll see the game launch. I've noticed it takes a long time if I wait for the game to come up but if I click on the game once its launched it loads more quickly.

If you look on your task bar, you'll see the game launch. I've noticed it takes a long time if I wait for the game to come up but if I click on the game once its launched it loads more quickly.

Likewise, I wonder if it's a lower CPU priority since it's essentially running in the background?

Seems to help. I'm wondering if BF3 is that much more demanding than bfbc2. I was playing bfbc2 on high. Now my rig is struggling with this game. I'm wondering whether it's my set up or just lag.

Seems to help. I'm wondering if BF3 is that much more demanding than bfbc2. I was playing bfbc2 on high. Now my rig is struggling with this game. I'm wondering whether it's my set up or just lag.

....this game is a lot more demanding then BFBC2....

yeah an old amd cpu and a 4870 ain't gonna cut it sorry.

The CPU is fine for BF3. Even on 64p servers, I have a hard time going over 85% usage on my overclocked 955. The game runs quite smooth.

A 4870 on the other hand, that's going to be a problem :p

Just played some of the campaign and it works totally fine. But I guess it's not accounting for the vast multiplayer maps.

The CPU is fine for BF3. Even on 64p servers, I have a hard time going over 85% usage on my overclocked 955. The game runs quite smooth.

Thinking of getting my hands on a 100 dollar 6870 on craigslist :p

OK Guys, Running a 2600k @ 4.3GHz, 7870 @ 1.25GHz on Ultra 1080p, runs smooth but the gpu is @ 60-70%, 12.8 Drivers. Anyone else seeing this?
Vsync is off, FPS @ 50
I would bet its a video card driver issue.
I have a similar setup with a GTX 560ti, run all high settings and get consistent 60+ fps and 99% gpu usage. My 2600k is also running at 4.3ghz until I get a new heatsink. Your CPU is definitely NOT holding you back.

Stock 940 here and no problem running the game together with a 660ti.

uh I could strain my 2500K at well over 90% usage at 4.4GHz, with 6950xfire, havent check what I do now on a single 7950

but in his situation hes def GPU bound. not hard to end up on the other side though, I will be again for sure once I get around to getting another 7950

I would get a new video card. Your cpu should be just fine. I have your cpu with a crossfire 6870 and it runs just fine at 1080p at ultra settings (granted I've had to sacrifice MSAA due to the 1gb vram limit of my cards). Pop in a 7950 or equivalent and it'll scream through this game at ultra settings :D

No one has posted this yet? I haven't done Rush yet but alot of people were talking about the AC-130

Gunship Patch

• Stationary and mobile AA cannon damage has been reduced by 30% versus the gunship.
Rationale: This fixes an issue where it was too easy for players to use stationary or mobile AA to shoot down the gunship from the other side of the map.

• Jet cannon damage has been reduced by 50% versus the gunship.
Rationale: In Conquest mode, jets have been able to single-strafe a gunship and destroy it. This re-balance will require more skill from pilots to take it down.

• The delay before moving the gunship forward to a new base in Rush mode has been increased from 15 to 30 seconds.
Rationale: Previously, the gunship was moved to the next base so quickly that it was possible to parachute from it into the base before defenders were able to prepare. This tweak will give defenders time to fall back and protect the valuable M-COM stations as intended.

• The Delay between gunship spawns has been increased from 90 to 120 seconds in Rush mode.
Rationale: After destroying the gunship in Rush mode, it reappeared too quickly to be well-balanced. With a 50% increase in spawn time for the gunship, defenders will now have more time to focus on the crates and less of a constant overhanging threat from the gunship.

• Initial delay before the gunship spawns in Rush mode has been increased from 15 to 60 seconds.
Rationale: Before this update, the gunship gunners could find the enemy before the round and instakill them when the pre-round timer ran out. Now, it will take a full minute before the gunship will spawn, giving defenders ample time to prepare.

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/news/view/2832654785919456813/

The Delay between gunship spawns has been increased from 90 to 120 seconds in Rush mode.
Rationale: After destroying the gunship in Rush mode, it reappeared too quickly to be well-balanced. With a 50% increase in spawn time for the gunship, defenders will now have more time to focus on the crates and less of a constant overhanging threat from the gunship.

Big math skills there DICE.

Probably good changes overall though.

Last edited:
I can' t believe they use a word like Rationale
That is the last word they should use.
DUH would be better

I'm playing BF3 singleplayer for the first time. Here are two idiotic things so far that REALLY should have been reworked.

A part where a team member tells you to go knife a guy (the second time this happens) and the game decides to completely change the rules of knifing.

Normally, as you would expect, you have to get right up close to a guy and either press the melee button, or have your knife out and press the attack button.

But in this case, you are supposed to press the attack button when you are 5 feet away. If you try to get closer, you will die instantly. I died 4 times before I figured out what the hell was going on.

the other dumb thing I found so far is that your team members will sometimes tell you a room/area is clear, when it isn't. So then you come out from cover and get shot.

It appears the BF3 Blog has been hacked: http://bf3blog.com/

"HACKED BY NICEFOR DAHA FAZLA UGRASMAMANIZ TAVSIYE EDILIR."

Bummer.

But alas, they have since rectified the situation. :)

Last edited:
I recently just started playing BF3 again...this game is still extremely fun. I'm debating on buying the newest DLC (Armored...something). I have the B2K pack but I'm wondering if it is worth buying the premium at this point. Also, seems like the B2K maps are dead, at least for conquest. Either that or battlelog isn't listing the servers correctly according to my filter settings?

I recently just started playing BF3 again...this game is still extremely fun. I'm debating on buying the newest DLC (Armored...something). I have the B2K pack but I'm wondering if it is worth buying the premium at this point. Also, seems like the B2K maps are dead, at least for conquest. Either that or battlelog isn't listing the servers correctly according to my filter settings?

Most people are happy with AK it seems, a lot less bitching here :D . I think Premium is going to be worth it until they stop offering it really. Your getting 5 DLCs for $50 instead of the $15 for each and then youll get some additional filler stuff here and there....gun skins...additional assignments...nothing extraordinary but something extra at least.

IMO, Armored Kill is what BF3 should have been on release...theyre all good maps though im not a huge fan of the night time one myself.

Dirty hack bastards....someone got into my Origin account and changed everything....what a pain in the ass.

In order to even contact EA you need to have an account registered....and in order to have an email changed back, you have to have a seperate email address for the new account....

After dealing with the bullshit system of getting ahold of EA, their rep was actually really nice and got everything sorted out for me...teach me to use a simple password...

No one has posted this yet? I haven't done Rush yet but alot of people were talking about the AC-130

Gunship Patch

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/news/view/2832654785919456813/
Saw that the other day. Much needed IMO. I love the gunship, but it is insanely overpowered in rush. Hell, it shouldn't even be in there for Rush mode. Attackers get choppers, jet, and the gunship. And since the gunship is so overpowered, half the defending team is loading up stingers/igla's to counter it, then that's a whole bunch of people not carrying AT missiles to deal with the tanks. The only time I have ever seen the defending team win on the AK maps is when the attackers were absolutely terrible noobs and the teams were stacked.

If Attackers get Jet, Chopper, and Gunship, then defenders should get AA tank. I have yet to see the AA tank on the defender side. If I am wrong, please correct me.

Most people are happy with AK it seems, a lot less bitching here ..

I'll be the first then. AK is a bit disappointing, much in the way that CQ was.

CQ was nice because it added more infantry only maps but they were very small. I was hoping for an office building with multiple detailed floors (5-6). The two office style maps that shipped were rather small, as were the two other maps. But at least it offered a little bit of a gameplay change.

AK is disappointing because I was expecting large battles with all kinds of armor. I was hoping there would be a few Spruts, a BTR-90, BMP-2, T-90, and maybe the Tunguska in a single map. Instead, we only get the the tank destroyers, AA/SAMs and MBTs No IFV/APCs at all.

The Grad/MLRS is disappointing to. They are too weak and their unlocks tend to be cut/pastes from the IFV/APCs. They seem like poorly thought out units in general.

To top it off there were no new firearms.

Some of the maps certainly are nice but AK just doesn't come with much worthy content. Hopefully the next two DLCs add more than 4 vehicles and a glorified turret and actually make them behave differently from what we currently have.

The Grad/MLRS is disappointing to. They are too weak and their unlocks tend to be cut/pastes from the IFV/APCs. They seem like poorly thought out units in general.

The fact that the air-burst weapon is jerry-rigged shows that they don't have much for coder support on the DLC (probably all on BF4), imho. If they wanted to do it right, they would have coded that and not made it have it to hit the ground then explode 20 ft behind.

That's how a mod team does something when they can't get proper access to change the code.

So as soon as I heard many moons ago that EA was doing this Premium stuff I said "F this" and swore off BF3.

Now that it's been in effect for awhile, what are y'alls thoughts on it? I'm thinking about getting back into BF3.

So as soon as I heard many moons ago that EA was doing this Premium stuff I said "F this" and swore off BF3.

Now that it's been in effect for awhile, what are y'alls thoughts on it? I'm thinking about getting back into BF3.

hehe....its pretty split apparently. If you like BF3 then you'd be saving some money going premium...10 bucks per DLC as opposed to the 15 per DLC if you bought them individually.

Close Quarters is fast paced run and gun stuff similar to what you get with COD but with tons of destructability in the level.
Armored Kill is, I believe, what BF3 should have been on launch, giant maps with capture points spread across them....not bundled together in the middle and then a bunch of emptiness that you can run around in.

Of course, YMMV...im a fan of the game but there are those here that aren't....and they should be chiming in very soon :D

Yeah, I remember hearing that a lot of people weren't happy with CQ but the consensus seems to be mostly positive on AK.

I understand there are new weapons available only to Premium users; do these give any kind of advantage?

ETA: BTW if somebody wants to squad up sometime my handle on battlelog is bofuf.

Yeah, I remember hearing that a lot of people weren't happy with CQ but the consensus seems to be mostly positive on AK.

I understand there are new weapons available only to Premium users; do these give any kind of advantage?

ETA: BTW if somebody wants to squad up sometime my handle on battlelog is bofuf.

I.....don't think you get new weapons as a premium member...though if you do I haven't noticed a reason to use them over the standard fair available to the general populace. I DO know that you get weapon SKINS not available to the general populace....but that makes very little difference in my opinion....im never looking at my gun when I play so I don't particularly notice.

you're right Grunt, no new weapons for premium members. new weapons for DLC's but not new weapons specific to premium members.

Back