Battlefield 2: Snipers

While I don't play BF2, I did play a lot of BF1. Am I the only one who remembers the Normandy, I think, map where you have to storm the beach up the two sides of the hill? It was impossible half the time because most of the damn team would be pussy ass snipers and wouldn't charge up the sides to take the hill.


Snipers should be hard to play, it helps keep the game balanced.
 
I havn't read this whole thread, but you should check out www.bfpro.com. It's a BF2 mod meant for competitions/leagues such as CAL, and TWL. If the leagues decide to pick up the mod to use, then you can be sure there will be pubs around to support this. The major differences in this mod are gun accuracies, map changes better suited for compeitition, and game-play balance issues. The mod is supported by many of the top BF2 clans like 20ID, and not created by just a bunch of pubbers.
 
are the bullets modeled any different than tank rounds? you can see the tracer effect on those when shooting in the distance.
 
black_b[ ]x said:
are the bullets modeled any different than tank rounds? you can see the tracer effect on those when shooting in the distance.
Yes, I don't think the smaller arms have bullet drop, or if they do it's to a lesser extent. I'm guessing, but I think the logic is the smaller arms simply don't shoot long distances for it to matter. You can't see the small arms fire, not even the m95, not sure about the SAW type weapons.

The tank shell as a lot of drop.
 
I think the sniper class is powerful enough. Granted, the M95 isnt nearly as powerful as it is in real life, but it can still waste a squad of enemies easily. Best way to snipe is from 50-100 feet away on the top of buildings, overlooking flags. If you are in a good spot, you can defend the flag well and get head shots every time.

The M95 works well in close quarter battles aswell, but you have to be quick to switch to pistol and finish them off after the first shot ;)
 
Phoenix86 said:
Yes, I don't think the smaller arms have bullet drop, or if they do it's to a lesser extent. I'm guessing, but I think the logic is the smaller arms simply don't shoot long distances for it to matter. You can't see the small arms fire, not even the m95, not sure about the SAW type weapons.

The tank shell as a lot of drop.

This seems to be true from what I've seen. The drop is small enough that when firing the non-sniper rifles, your view range will be chopped off before the enemy is far enough to have to significantly adjust for bullet drop. Sniper rifles however will need it for long distance shots after they zoom in. Around 300meters people showed some bullet drop, but load up a game of BF2 and see how far that is. It's farther than an non-sniper rifle user can see.

http://www.forumplanet.com/planetbattlefield/topic.asp?fid=7419&tid=1762498&p=5

There's a picture there of a guy testing for how much bullet drop compensation is needed to headshot from ~340 meters. For headshots, he compensated shooting at a point above the soldier's head that was the distance equal to half the height of a soldier.
 
Jeriko_Cherry said:
Pro-Tip: it's a two shot kill if you hit the tank treads in the front or back with the AT rockets. ;)

I gotta say, I was a little skeptical (I didnt believe you) about the front of the tank being so vulnerable. I just tried it though and it works. Thanks :)
 
slowbiz said:
The reason being, is because sniping can be pretty blooding cheap. I have no fun playing a game where I constantly die instantly from invisible enemies.

Then what's the point of calling a game "Battlefield" where conditions wouldn't be identical to that of the battlefield.
 
zamardii said:
Then what's the point of calling a game "Battlefield" where conditions wouldn't be identical to that of the battlefield.

It's a battlefield,

www.dictionary.com
bat·tle·field:
n. In both senses also called battleground.

1. An area where a battle is fought.
2. A sphere of contention.

It's not the real-world battlefield, it's just a battlefield. Really, reskin everything, redecorate/remodel everything, leave all the gameplay the same, and call it laser tag if you like. Violent conflict in the real world is just an easier frame of reference. It's just not the dictum.

We could simulate reality by having you get one life for your battlefield 2 account. You can spend several weeks training in bootcamp, get sent overseas, get posted for guard duty, wait 2 hours, and then get sniped by an enemy you can't see.. They can then play a nice movie of the funeral before deleting the game. Realism doesn't always equate to fun. So that's why they change the rules so it's a game not a war.
 
kelbear said:
Realism doesn't always equate to fun.

Its amazing to me how many people cant comprehend this. Games are not (for the most part) intended to be simulations. The weapons in BF2 are loosely based in reality. I really wish developers would stop putting "real" guns in games because it opens up the debate for how "realistically" they perform. A debate that is completely pointless because:

a) to realistically model the ballistics of every projectile fired from every weapon in the game is not efficient (or , to go out on a limb, possible).
b) the game would not be fun due to balance issues.

If you want realism, pick up a flight simulator.

Thats my rant
Peace
 
All Killer No Filler said:
I gotta say, I was a little skeptical (I didnt believe you) about the front of the tank being so vulnerable. I just tried it though and it works. Thanks :)

Glad to help. Now you know to never doubt an AT-whore. :) ;)
 
All Killer No Filler said:
Its amazing to me how many people cant comprehend this. Games are not (for the most part) intended to be simulations. The weapons in BF2 are loosely based in reality. I really wish developers would stop putting "real" guns in games because it opens up the debate for how "realistically" they perform. A debate that is completely pointless because:

a) to realistically model the ballistics of every projectile fired from every weapon in the game is not efficient (or , to go out on a limb, possible).
b) the game would not be fun due to balance issues.

If you want realism, pick up a flight simulator.

Thats my rant
Peace

Well the game aims to be pseudo-realistic. When they take something like the accuracy of a gun and just make it all FUBAR I don't see that as making a game more fun. The sniper rifles are pretty shitty. They can keep the weapons damage the same, I just want to be able to actually hit someone 600 yards away without wasting a whole magazine with any of the sniper rifles. Snipers are a joke, it makes the game more fun for everyone else but frustrating for the sniper. They must create a BALANCE and right now it seems snipers are practically useless and sniping with a G36 would be more helpful to the team. What game other than BF2 doesn't have 100% sniper accuracy in a prone/crouch position? I can't name a game that doesn't. Snipers should always dominate the long range battle, but they should always have incredible odds against them once that gap closes.

Same goes for guns like the G3, the G36 should have decreased accuracy and the G3's accuracy should be beefed up. Having the spec ops gun with better accuracy than a sniper rifle or an assault rifle is messed up. The game is aiming for pseudo realism, no matter how you look at it it should be sniper rifle > assault rifle > carbine for long range encounters. Going by that its not a hyper realistic guidline, it's pseudo-realistic and thats exactly what type of game BF2 is. Not some game where it takes 236 headshots to kill someone in order to make the game more "fun".
 
I think most ppl might be bitching about sniper rifles b/c they have bad connections, which play a large part in accuracy if i'm correct (atleast for guns u dont' spray w/).

Just a theory, but i'm on a t1, and my m24 pretty much always hits wherever i'm aiming. It only misses on rare occasions, but I tend to blame that on lag. Try testing my theory by playing on servers, then play the single player. See if the sniper rifle hits a lot better when accuracy doesn't depend upon your internet connection.
 
Bop, I don't see you complaining about:

Lethal wounds being cured by magical shock paddles that perfectly close gaping gunshot wounds. Or,

Little medical bags on the ground that instantly heal gaping gunshot wounds, not only this, but these magical bags don't even need a medic to operate! Or,

Magical parachutes (which of course every marine has) that not only deploy, but magically re-pack themselves. Or,

The fact you can swim in over a hundred pounds of gear FOREVER, oh forgot those must be magical boots of swimming, maybe a ring of swimming (haven't check the models ;)). Or,

The other magical bags that contain ONLY what you need to resupply yourself. Want C4? Sorry, that's only in the bags that spec ops picks up. Or,

The magical boxes that repair armor, resupply every vehicle and kit, and heals people. Or,

The fact you can repair/resupply/heal while inside a vehicle. Or,

The magic UAV "radar" that of course EVERY infantry has access to, right?

No, it's *always* this gun, or that vehicle doesn't replicate real life...

In conclusion, IT'S A GAME!!! :D
 
Phoenix86 said:
Bop, I don't see you complaining about:

Lethal wounds being cured by magical shock paddles that perfectly close gaping gunshot wounds. Or,

Little medical bags on the ground that instantly heal gaping gunshot wounds, not only this, but these magical bags don't even need a medic to operate! Or,

Magical parachutes (which of course every marine has) that not only deploy, but magically re-pack themselves. Or,

The fact you can swim in over a hundred pounds of gear FOREVER, oh forgot those must be magical boots of swimming, maybe a ring of swimming (haven't check the models ;)). Or,

The other magical bags that contain ONLY what you need to resupply yourself. Want C4? Sorry, that's only in the bags that spec ops picks up. Or,

The magical boxes that repair armor, resupply every vehicle and kit, and heals people. Or,

The fact you can repair/resupply/heal while inside a vehicle. Or,

The magic UAV "radar" that of course EVERY infantry has access to, right?

No, it's *always* this gun, or that vehicle doesn't replicate real life...

In conclusion, IT'S A GAME!!! :D
<3 the sarcasm :D
 
..and I'm still trying to perfect my bunny hopping skills in this game ..darn









[H]
 
Bop said:
Sniping in BF1942 is much better, the guns are very accurate. I've been playing the game since the Tobruk demo, biiiiig difference.

BTW, here is the vid you asked for: http://www.syntechsoftware.com/sniper/snipervideo.wmv No lead. No drop.

Nice vid! I never unlocked the m95, didn't know it worked so well for vehicle kills, what particular points on the various vehicles should be targeted? I can't really tell what he's hitting.

I already know there's no bullet drop to worry about, but I still can't buy the no leading thing. I'm not having trouble with hitting my targets even though I'm still aiming ahead of them. Perhaps my reaction time is so slow that he can move under my crosshairs by the time I finally fire.

I don't really snipe much anyway, but that video of the m95 blowing up vehicles makes me want to try it. I thought the m95 just kills the person in the vehicle rather than blowing the whole thing up.
 
there's a severe exageration in the video... usually, you can shoot a person out of teh vehicle through the class. BLowing the vehicle up is if the vehicle is already low on hp... and NO u can't blow up an f-15 in one shot from an m95... well.. atleaset i seriously doubt it... you never know I guess...
 
All Killer No Filler said:
Why be a sniper if it sucks so much?

Die rabbits, die. :p

I stopped sniping awhile ago, I'm either assault or spec ops now but I'd love to snipe again if they made it useful.


Phoenix86, I'm talking about the gun aspect here, not the resupplying, or the magical UAV. Just guns. Nothing else.

The sniper rifle sucks balls, they went from one extreme to the other. Snipers in BF1942 were too effective, so now they overcorrected that and made snipers useless. They need a balance. At this point I'm not talking about increasing realism, I just want them to make the guns more accurate. Not modelled exactly off the real gun, just more accurate. The longest range gun in the game should be more accurate that a weapon that the developers probably intended as a close range gun(G36).


Just ignore the vehicle part of that sniping video, they just shot the vehicles up until they were about to explode and then shot it with an M95 as each shot does some damage to vehicles.
 
Lots of talk about the sniper video.
When was it done?
has there been any patches since then?
can you destroy copters and apc's with an m95, I think not.
Like above post this was a video with some bs thrown in....why?
I have done those shots with an m24.
Funny thing I have done head shots on running enemy.
Then next shot at same distance on next guy standing still and
miss them...BS

you are correct whiners killed the sniper and it AINT going to get any better.


sparks
 
No you cannot. You can penetrate bullet proof glass though, but hitting a chopper pilot is a hard shot.

I like sniping. I may not be stupidly effective like in other games, but I can get kills and give some pretty good suppresive fire. Sniping is simply a toy to have fun with.
 
kelbear said:
Nice vid! I never unlocked the m95, didn't know it worked so well for vehicle kills, what particular points on the various vehicles should be targeted? I can't really tell what he's hitting.

I already know there's no bullet drop to worry about, but I still can't buy the no leading thing. I'm not having trouble with hitting my targets even though I'm still aiming ahead of them. Perhaps my reaction time is so slow that he can move under my crosshairs by the time I finally fire.

I don't really snipe much anyway, but that video of the m95 blowing up vehicles makes me want to try it. I thought the m95 just kills the person in the vehicle rather than blowing the whole thing up.
That video is staged.

First off, you can't destroy a vehicle that isn't smoking with a single shot, they do it what twice in that video. Here's a hint, C4+timing+m95 shot=cool video. ;)

Second off, on the "there is no bullet drop" they are close enough that the bullet drop isn't enough to make them totally miss. They aim for the head, and hit the legs. The X in the crosshairs only tells you a hit was made, it doesn't show where. The people they were shooting were likely injured, meaning a shot to the toe would kill them.
 
Bop said:
Phoenix86, I'm talking about the gun aspect here, not the resupplying, or the magical UAV. Just guns. Nothing else.
Of course you aren't, those things are fun. ;)

They aren't realistic, however. Do you want realism or gameplay? BF2 != realism, so if that's what you want it isn't for you. No need to bitch that Civ IV is turned based, that's what kind of game it is...

Do you want "real" accuracy for the rest of the guns? Because "real" accuracy, by people trained for combat, in combat, isn't like the game I'm sure. Cops hit what, less than 20% in close quarters handgun fights?

Anyways, you're missing my point. You don't want realism, you want fun. You prove this by not complaining about other non-realistic junk in the game. Deal with the hair of a difference between a "real" sniper and a BF2 sniper, why? Because no one want a 1 shot kill-every-time gun at the sniper position, except full time snipers. Think about that for a bit. ;)
 
I don't snipe regularly like I did in BF42.

However, I did get the M95 and one time there was an apache hovering for repairs. I shot the pilot. Watched the apache go up and over onto its back, and killed the passenger. One shot...two kills...with a 7 second delay between the two. Very fun.
 
Phoenix86 said:
Of course you aren't, those things are fun. ;)

They aren't realistic, however. Do you want realism or gameplay? BF2 != realism, so if that's what you want it isn't for you. No need to bitch that Civ IV is turned based, that's what kind of game it is...

Do you want "real" accuracy for the rest of the guns? Because "real" accuracy, by people trained for combat, in combat, isn't like the game I'm sure. Cops hit what, less than 20% in close quarters handgun fights?

Anyways, you're missing my point. You don't want realism, you want fun. You prove this by not complaining about other non-realistic junk in the game. Deal with the hair of a difference between a "real" sniper and a BF2 sniper, why? Because no one want a 1 shot kill-every-time gun at the sniper position, except full time snipers. Think about that for a bit. ;)

Battlefield aims for a little bit of both. If it was pure fun then you would have Unreal Tournament. Lets leave cops out of this... they don't shoot to kill and people in the military are much more highly trained. Also I happen to love Civ IV, I'm 100% addicted :)

I went back to using the M24 again and I must say that gun is decent. I think they should increase the accuracy of the M95 to the M24 and make the M24 even more accurate. Not for realism but for fun. People wouldn't die in one hit and snipers would be able to shoot what they're aiming at. We can all have our cake and eat it too :D

I was also think about another thing. The crosshairs. They are WAAAAAY too thick. The chinese one is nice and thin and makes aiming simple, but the M95 has a huge block crosshair that completely blocks out someone's body. The M24 is like this but not as bad. Hmmm maybe that could be the reason for the guns not being accurate.... DO SOMETHING DICE!
 
kpedge said:
I don't snipe regularly like I did in BF42.

However, I did get the M95 and one time there was an apache hovering for repairs. I shot the pilot. Watched the apache go up and over onto its back, and killed the passenger. One shot...two kills...with a 7 second delay between the two. Very fun.

This is the best sniper story i have ever heard:

Okay,

This one will go down in battefield2 lore forever. This was like the one good golf shot that keeps you coming back even though you're a +20 handicap... these are the moments that make all the noobs, whores, and hackers seem irrelevant...

I'm playing Kubra Damn, my favorite map, and the US team had capped our (MEC) main airefield base. We were launching a massive assault to get it back, but as you all know when this happens the pooch is pretty much screwed with US jets and choppers flying everywhere and no answer for the MEC. So I'm out near our artillery with my M95 hiding in the weeds... I had been knifing special ops guys who came to blow our stuff up (yes, for those who know me you know I'm still on that ceasless crusade for the basic knife badge, trying every tactic imaginable). I see this blackhawk just circling our airfield raping us with duel mini guns blazing. I mean this is a really good chopper squad, a pair of gunners, a pair of engineers, and the pilot fixed in a holding pattern just racking up kill assists.

So out of PURE ANGST I fire off a shot and somehow drill the pilot, here's where it gets good... he must have panicked and hit the wrong button, because he bails from the chopper, doesn't open his chute in time, splatters on the ground... the pilotless chopper drifts head on into the path of a jet that was taking off... BOOM... the jet and chopper explode killing the 4 clueless guys inside and the jet pilot. I KILLED 6 GUYS, A BLACKHAWK, AND A JET WITH ONE SNIPER SHOT! It all happened so fast that by the time I thought to take a screen it was too late. I nearly fell out of my chair laughing.

Want to know the real kicker... I killed 6 guys and two aircraft with the luckiest shot in the history of BF2... and got credit for zero kills. Regardless... that was the golf shot....

Last edited by dshak (2005-10-18 13:47:22)


http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=2855

Insert legal jargon here that absolves me of having to prove credibility.
 
Eh, I enjoyed the way sniper rifles worked in BF1942, to line up a good head shot I used to count to myself 1 2 3... shoot. Every now and then when I was having an "on" night I could just lay the shots in on the move and no one could touch me (ah the omaha nights). Thing is, that bullet would hit where the dot was aimed, every time, for EVERYONE (what balance problem?). Hell, a good sniper battle was fun as hell, if your team was pinned down by snipers there was no reason you couldnt be a sniper and take care of the problem.

With the BF2 sniper, it feels like the "sway" of the gun is still there but the scope doesnt show it. So it looks like you can take an instant shot at 100 yards and hit everytime, but you cant. Now what really depressed me was that snipers still seem to work on a cone effect, though a tight cone. To me, thats utter bullshit, and Im an assult guy 80% of the time. If there is a reason for me to be a sniper I want to be able to hit what I aim at (thats what snipers do right?), damage is fine, but just let me hit the guy in the 50cal, 80 yards away when his head is as big as a watermelon on my scope. Of course now if Im pinned by snipers, I just pull out my L85A1 and single shot him to death while I heal myself constantly....and people have the balls to talk about balance here...... :rolleyes:

-dave
 
I got nailed in the face with the M95 while flying a mig, best shot in the world by someone 92 and 3. Was so funny, I respawned and saw the plane I was flying crash into the ground in the distance heh.
 
RailGunRiz said:
I got nailed in the face with the M95 while flying a mig, best shot in the world by someone 92 and 3. Was so funny, I respawned and saw the plane I was flying crash into the ground in the distance heh.

That sounds kinda shady to me. The chances of hitting the pilot of a jet in flight has got to be in the billions. Add on the fact that the guy had 92 kills in one round = shady
 
The m95's glass penetration ability shouldnt be even mentioned as one of its abilities. It's a factor that many use to pick that unlock. Yet, practically the only time you'll do that is at the enemy spawn, picking off the people getting into the jet/helo. Misleading.

Hey, I read at ubar that the sniper rifle accuracy does not matter if standing prone or crouching. True?
 
UnlimitedMP said:
The m95's glass penetration ability shouldnt be even mentioned as one of its abilities. It's a factor that many use to pick that unlock. Yet, practically the only time you'll do that is at the enemy spawn, picking off the people getting into the jet/helo. Misleading.

Hey, I read at ubar that the sniper rifle accuracy does not matter if standing prone or crouching. True?

Seems to be true to me.
 
All Killer No Filler said:
So, please explain how BF2 is unbalanced rather than :rolleyes: at the fact that all of us here are too stupid to understand.

Gee, maybe if you read the post I made you could answer your own question instead of making a half assed attempt to cover your own stupidity.

-dave

P.S. let me make this easier for you "Of course now if Im pinned by snipers, I just pull out my L85A1 and single shot him to death while I heal myself constantly"
 
DavePars7 said:
P.S. let me make this easier for you "Of course now if Im pinned by snipers, I just pull out my L85A1 and single shot him to death while I heal myself constantly"

That is not a balance issue, that is a technique you use to deal with snipers. The "balance" issue you are refering to, medics being able to heal themselves, is countered by the fact they have no armor.

And if you are going to start throwing insults, please try to be a little more creative.
 
Back
Top