Battlefield 2: Snipers

Bop

2[H]4U
I've been playing BF2 since the demo came out and one thing that irritates me is that the sniper is just too underpowered. Most reviews you see also agree with my opinion when they do mention the sniper class.

After hundreds of hours of being a sniper I think the problem just solely lies within the accuracy of the gun. Lie prone around 200-300yds away from something like a stop sign and start shooting. Examine where the shots land and where you are aiming each time.

You'll see that the sniper rifle really isn't any more accurate than the assault rifles in single shot mode. All the rifles except the semi auto ones in a few rare cases kill in one headshot but what good is it if you can't even hit someone in the head at 300-400yds without wasting a whole magazine?

Unlocking the M95 seems like a total waste. I spend alot of time trying to kill enemy chopper pilots but its a very slim chance as even if you are aiming right at their head 20ft away it "magically" doesn't kill them. If they are further than 150yds its almost impossible due to the accuracy of the guns.

I for one think that in the next patch EA/DICE should give the sniper rifles a boost in accuracy and maybe an increased/adjustable zoom. The scopes in the game have the fattest crosshairs I've ever seen and it doesn't even look like they have a 10x zoom. My $50 BSA scope would totally own the scopes in the game if they were real... lol

Also the M95 is capable of taking out very lightly armored vehicles and can pass through an engine blocks. Why not add something like the gun being able to disable the scout cars if they are shot in the engine?

I believe with these improvements the sniper class could be more of an asset to a squad/team. If they can actually be succesful with making long range kills, maybe they can be a threat instead of an annoyance.

Thank you for reading my long rant.

The reason being, is because sniping can be pretty blooding cheap. I have no fun playing a game where I constantly die instantly from invisible enemies.

Meh... I like where the sniper class is at. I understand some of your suggestions, however. The problem is that Dice decided to go away from what went wrong in BF1942. I think they succeeded for the most part.

Well if each team had a limit of 2-3 snipers that would help things. Even so any good assault or spec ops(who can actually hit the broad side of a barn) can counter-snipe a sniper, I've been killed lots of times from enemy rifle fire from long distances.

As for the "invisible" part, the foliage dissapears at a distance so finding snipers is actually quite easy in this game. Sure at close range when they are hiding in the grass they are hard to spot but they stick out like a sore thumb anywhere else.

I guess the lack of discussion means 90% of you agree with me? Oh wow thanks :)

The grid sniping thing is much more tolerable with a lower sensitivity, thankfully with the razer diamonback I can do that on the fly during the action.

Yea, I sometimes get annoyed by the incredible innacuracy/underpoweredness of the sniper rifles, especially the m95. But I can also understand the other side and how its annoying to spawn somewhere only to get mowed down by a bunch of spawn campers armed with cannons. I really think that the sniper pistol should be made more powerful. I hate when I'm trying to take a flag, wandering around the back of buildings, find an enemy lying on the ground, pop four shots into the back of his head then have him turn around and blow me away with an m249. Highly annoying.

u sure it's not just that you dont' wait long enough to fire? I seem to be gettin the most kills w/ sniper rifle (of course i've only had the game for 2 days).. I just have to hold the crosshair in that position for a damn long time before i fire at someone. It's definately not like cs, where you can zoom, shoot, move on to next target.

The bullets drop. They didn't make sniping underpowered, you simply need more skill to use it. If you think about it, if they made snipers the way you want them everyone would become the lone wolf sniper they dream of being. Sniping on a large map with a perfect sniper rifle would be way too easy.

^ agree, esp if they made the m95 kill someone with one shot, then everybody would pick that weapon. i have to say after unlocking the barret, its not suited for looong range. most of the points i now get are from damage assist points and i aim a lil above the head, depending on range or at the head, and only got a few head shot kills. i have yet to kill someone through the cockpit, but was wondering, will the penetrate car glass e.g. humvee?

Rhetoric said:
The bullets drop. They didn't make sniping underpowered, you simply need more skill to use it. If you think about it, if they made snipers the way you want them everyone would become the lone wolf sniper they dream of being. Sniping on a large map with a perfect sniper rifle would be way too easy.

Bullshit

Until this

ObjectTemplate.createComponent SoldierDeviationComp
ObjectTemplate.deviation.setFireDev 3.5 2 0.5
ObjectTemplate.deviation.minDev 5
ObjectTemplate.deviation.setTurnDev 0 0 0 0
ObjectTemplate.deviation.setSpeedDev 3 0.2 0.2 1
ObjectTemplate.deviation.setMiscDev 2.5 2.5 0.2
ObjectTemplate.deviation.devModStand 2
ObjectTemplate.deviation.devModCrouch 1.5
ObjectTemplate.deviation.devModLie 0.8
ObjectTemplate.deviation.devModZoom 0.01

is removed or heavily modified it's not about needing more skill and its not about bullet drop, it's about missing half the time thanks to that. and grid aiming with 2x scopes? Give me a break.

I totally agree I don't want a snipe fest going on but the way the sniper class is now is ridiculous. It shouldn't even be a contest between an AK and an M24, yet at mid range it's easier to get kills with the AK.

edit to add
Right I don't believe any actual ballistics are modeled in this game, if you have seen proof to the contrary please post it.

Yeah, Insted of actually making the sniping hard by adding ballistics, they just screw you over. The bullets dont drop, its just whether or not the game wants you to hit.

The bullets do not drop at all. That is just the cone of fire, I have shots that hit above the crosshair at long distances all the time. Take some time and study the accuracy and you'll see.

If you read my original post I am asking for an accuracy buff, not increased damage. By the way, the M95 has an effective range of around 1000-1200 yards. In Battlefield 2 its more like 150.

The sniper rifles just need to be more accurate than the assault rifles, its rediculous how they can miss at 200 yards and end up hitting a spot where you weren't even aiming. Hell sometimes when your trying to get a headshot the thing can miss at <100 yards. Its a total joke.

What this game NEEDS is to increase the sniper rifle accuracy *BUT* add a breathing effect like America's Army so no n00b can pick up one and just start blasting away. And maybe have the use key act as a hold breath button while zoomed. Binoculars with a larger zoom than the scope would also be helpful.

I play as a sniper most of the time, got the m95 for my unlock.

I greatly prefer to the use the US sides starter sniper rifle over any of the others. For me it just "feels" better then any of the other ones.

The m95 feels too clunky and it's quite a bit loud. It is helpful for helicopters that are tryin to cap a flag, but they generally are moving around so much you will be hard pressed to get that lucky hit. I might use it more if it did damage to small vehicles and such. I'd love to be able to shoot a buggy/jeep and have it hit the engine and disable it, then have the person get out and take them down.

I actually wish they'd drop the whole "random cone" of fire for sniper rifles and introduce "breathing/wind direction" and all those type of affects on the system.

I agree, the snipers can be a bit irritating, I've had a few times when I know I was less than 200 yards from an idle target on a gun or in a bunker and according to the sites I put it right in the forehead and they don't go down on the 1st shot.

I will give credit for the accuracy of most the other guns, becuase when I'm playing BF2 or CoD it feels tight for the most part, then I go play some BF42 the guns feel sloppy. It's probably just me on this, but I don't think I'll be able to play 42' anymore.

yea, BF2 nerfs the snipers, which I personally think is a wonderful thing.
There are very few things I find more annoying in online gaming than a couple of snipers poping guys off left and right as they respawn.
BF2 has lots of open areas and maps and plenty of cover and nice little hiding spots for snipers. By adding a random element to sniping you give infantry a fighting chance out in the open. You make it so you can't just sit back and kill the same guy(s) 6 or 8 times in a row as they respawn.

Well the commander should be telling you where the snipers are so you can take care of them. I know I do, sometimes I will zoom in and try to crush them with a supply crate but most of the time it just hurts them or misses (have gotten some kills though). Then the arty comes in if it doesnt kill them! :D Most of the time though I notify the blackhawk or apache and they take care of them. Sure is damn nice to have people on your team who care and are worth something to the team.

The thing I hate the most is that the snipers do NOTHING to get you to your goal of controling the points on the map. They climb a hill, building, or crane and sit there the entire map and do nothing but get maybe 10 kills. Seems pointless to me...

FreiDOg said:
yea, BF2 nerfs the snipers, which I personally think is a wonderful thing.
There are very few things I find more annoying in online gaming than a couple of snipers poping guys off left and right as they respawn.
BF2 has lots of open areas and maps and plenty of cover and nice little hiding spots for snipers. By adding a random element to sniping you give infantry a fighting chance out in the open. You make it so you can't just sit back and kill the same guy(s) 6 or 8 times in a row as they respawn.

"Nerfing" the snipers is a STUPID thing to do, there are other , actual constructive ways to balance snipers vs other infrantry instead of simply "making them weaker."

Like having sway for shots, that goes down if you're prone. Aswell as a breathing/body element, and "gasp" actually let us use the damn bipods, they look stupid swingin about without any freaking use.

Incase you didn't know, but "popping" guys off from a hidden spot....is kind of one of the main points of a freaking sniper. They aren't supposed to rough and tough it up and rambo it with the assault guys.

That_Sound_Guy said:
Well the commander should be telling you where the snipers are so you can take care of them. I know I do, sometimes I will zoom in and try to crush them with a supply crate but most of the time it just hurts them or misses (have gotten some kills though). Then the arty comes in if it doesnt kill them! :D Most of the time though I notify the blackhawk or apache and they take care of them. Sure is damn nice to have people on your team who care and are worth something to the team.

The thing I hate the most is that the snipers do NOTHING to get you to your goal of controling the points on the map. They climb a hill, building, or crane and sit there the entire map and do nothing but get maybe 10 kills. Seems pointless to me...

Yea, it's sure pointless.

I mean when I get to an elevated place on a map like sharqui and help defent 3 freakin flags all while reconning the surrounding, that does jack all for the team.

I mean the 20kills vs 10 compared to everyone else and the #1 spot for defending flags is just bologna.

Or perhaps it's because a sniper isn't supposed to jump in to capture a flag because rifles aren't really great at CQB and the pistol is so so.

The main time a sniper should try to get flags is when his team is in dire need (IE 1 flag left with no others) , in that case if that "sniper" isn't high tailing it to try to get a flag, you have a very good point, but otherwise that's simply not what snipers are good far.

ok ive only had the game for a few days and every time i used a sniper i get owned because its nearly impossible to hit something with the rifle and then some douche walks up behind you and knifes you to death in the grass. but its not the only effed up thing in the game...the whole game seems to be plagued with some serious physics problem. For instance i shot a guy in the chest from maybe 10 yards away with the anti tank rocket launcher and instead of incenerating him it goes through him and blows up on the ground maybe 5 yards behind him and he doesnt even get hurt then he takes one burst from his ak and i die...same thing happend with the grenade launcher too....it seems the only two effective ways to really lay waste in this game is A: go assault and shoot grenades at peoples feet B:go spec ops and use c4 as if it were going out of style

I guess you guys never served in the military because a sniper can hold up an entire platoon easily. But also military snipers have a spotter, the spotter judges wind and distance and of course spots the target. They should add windage and gravity to balance the sniper.

That_Sound_Guy said:

I just started playing a lot of Sniper role ("Sniper" was on cable last week; I was inspired), and I like to think that I do a lot of good. I try to be a team player, and use my camoflauge and scope to stay hidden, and spot enemies...and, when applicable, ventilate said enemies. I'm sure that my teammates get a little I won't join a squad as a sniper, but I will start my own, so I'm able to request arty and UAV flights where they're needed. If other players join my squad, I'll send them where I need them, or where the commander needs them. What this game needs, more than anything (at least on the player's side) is more mature players, who are willing to use teamwork and follow orders. I'm 28, but I've got no problem taking orders from a 12 year old BF2 commander, if he knows what he's doing. If not, I'll ignore the dumbass, try to mutiny, or just do the best I can with my squad.

As for the sniper rifles, let the crosshairs steady up for a second or two. Try to anticipate where your target is heading, and lead him, giving yourself enough time to steady your sights before the shot. I've hit a few guys, on the run, at over 200 yds like this. I thought the sniper rifles sucked, too, at first. Just practice. Don't forget the lag problems, too. Lag really makes sniping difficult, if not impossible.

I believe balistics are in the game. Other projectiles in the game have atleast a simulated drop due to gravity, I dont see why the sniper would be much different. With little time playing the kit in BF2 and a few years of playing DC I was doing fine dropping guys. Just because the guy moves through your cross hairs doesnt mean he is dead. Wait for the crouch or what ever pause and then take your shot. The sniper isnt nerfed at all.

3 weeks ago everyone was bitching about how the support class is impossible and now im in whole squads of support and medics. It just took some long hours of training and now these guys are ripping it up.

urbsnspices said:
I believe balistics are in the game. Other projectiles in the game have atleast a simulated drop due to gravity,

3 weeks ago everyone was bitching about how the support class is impossible and now im in whole squads of support and medics.

I don't believe there is any true ballistics model, I can't find proof either way but the obvious random deviation code is good evidence that their is none. Again I'd be absolutely ok with the sniper rifles if there was just bullet drop, the random deviation is ridiculous. The spread needs to be tightened on alot of weapons, they just need a better system because a 12" spread with a rifle at 30m when prone is pretty unacceptable.

I've been using support since the first time I picked up the SAW and laid out 5 guys solo to defend my flag. Last week with a medic friend I laid out no less than 15 guys in a row because I found a good suppression point and had him to watch my back.

Single shot with the M16's or AK's is possible. Go prone, aim slightly above. You can kill some guys like that. Good for maps like Oman, where sometimes guys will physically run from beach base to beach base.

I was pleased recently, tanking the medic kit and using the rifle. It's pretty decent overall. Don't like that 3 shot burst restriction on the US rifle though.

For a change of pace, try to be the gunner on an attack chopper with a good pilot. It's a whole different game then.

Ground pounders have to get even better at being stealthy now because people are getting more and more lethal with whatever weapon, vehicle, etc.

I just got the game this weekend, but I much prefer the Special Ops machine gun with laser dot scope. (US)

Sniper feels weak (inaccurate)

Bump, thread got burried after some guy went around replying to a bunch of 2 y/o threads and got himself banned.

Back on topic. I decided to ditch the M95 for a bit and use the M24, it has a nice accuracy increase over the M95. They should increase the M24 accuracy a tad more and then give the M95 the same accuracy.

Either way they would still take 2 hits in the chest and one in the head to kill someone.

i have come to like the m95 after i had my aiming problems with it. now, i find it to be one of the most powerful weapons in the game.

accuaracy ~ well, it ok, sometimes i kill someone even though i was aiming crappy so that cant be good

power ~ story, did strike at karland, shot a guy dead right through the windshield while he was driving the mec car thing. impressed me. :)

im going to start using that more, like going to the front lines with it. as long as you have ur pistol ready, and have very good finger clicking capabilities, the sniper class can be one of the best. claymores, wow, never really used them that much until i was hiding in an alley and like 5 guys came running, including right at me, and didnt even see me. i knew if i took a shot, they would kill me dead. i put a claymore behind me, and at the alley opening. got a kill.

scary things for being a sniper ~ getting snuck up on and knifed. i hate it and thats why you either stay mobile or find good cover.

I need help with sniper rifles. Before BF2 I would play a lot of Black Hawk Down. In BHD I was a decent sniper. With BHD's sniper rifles, once you brought up the scope, you could zoom in (the zoom depended on the sniper rifle you were using) and you could adjust the elevation easily for shooting targets that were far away or were relatively close.

After playing BF2 for a little while I decided to try to be a sniper once. I couldn't figure out how to zoom in with the scope nor could I determine how to adjust the elevation. As a result I tried simply aiming at still targets and shooting a few times. Then I'd try to see where my rounds were landing and try to adjust accordingly. As you can probably guess this didn't really work out all that well.

So my question to all you BF2 snipers is, how do you adjust these things on the sniper rifles or is it even possible to adjust them?

Paithar said:
I need help with sniper rifles. Before BF2 I would play a lot of Black Hawk Down. In BHD I was a decent sniper. With BHD's sniper rifles, once you brought up the scope, you could zoom in (the zoom depended on the sniper rifle you were using) and you could adjust the elevation easily for shooting targets that were far away or were relatively close.

After playing BF2 for a little while I decided to try to be a sniper once. I couldn't figure out how to zoom in with the scope nor could I determine how to adjust the elevation. As a result I tried simply aiming at still targets and shooting a few times. Then I'd try to see where my rounds were landing and try to adjust accordingly. As you can probably guess this didn't really work out all that well.

So my question to all you BF2 snipers is, how do you adjust these things on the sniper rifles or is it even possible to adjust them?
You can't. That's why I think people who say that there is bullet drop are talking out their ass. If they put something like that into the game then you should be able to sight in you gun for the range which you are shooting at. It takes awhile to line up a shot, THAT should be what keeps snipers from being overpowered. Not a random deviation added to each shot. That's just lazy.

Ok ... I mostly play sniper class with the m95 .. here is something I have found that seems to be true, but could be totaly wrong.

The base deviation does not seem to be calculated each shot (each shot will go exactly the same spot as the last). This could be due to some seed value or maybe the path is defined per round. But I have noticed that I have to re-learn where the gun is shooting every so often (normally each round). More often than not it shoots low and to the left for me. Some other people I have talked to have seen it shoot high and right more often than not so this part is totally different for everyone (it seems). This only becomes a real issue when shooting over 200m. between 50m and 200m the gun seems to shoot fairly well. Once you get under ~20m the gun starts getting really weird. Often you will hit your target but will do zero damage! Not sure if this is lag related or what but I have seen the hit on someone's head and not killed them.

In the right hands the m95 is deadly. Most people are not running around full HP and so you get 1s1k moreoften than not (unless spawn camping).

To me I think it's okay that the sniper rifle that's basic, not unlocked should be 2 hits to kill and the M95 should be one!! That rifle in RL (m95) has the capability to pierce through 3-5 cement walls and in this game it takes 2 hits to kill someone 90% of the time.

wait.. what do you guys mean.. take gravity into account. If i'm correct, with REAL sniper rifles, you adjust the scope for distance so that the scope's crosshair will be right on target.
I've never had problems with the sniper rifles yet, but I also take super long to take a shot, cause I'll wait till they stop moving and crouch or something. Maybe you guys just aren't wating long enough to take the shot.
When you're at such long distances, I don't think u can just run around, crouch down, and pop a few guys. I mean, hell, just watch SWAT or any other movie witha sniper in it.. they've been sittin on that rooftop for SOOO long before they even take one shot.
Now, IF we're talkin MEC or china's sniper rifle, that's a whole different class of sniper rifles. With those, I don't bother hiding like the american sniper rifles. I dont' wait to shoot either

I liked the challenge that snipers added to BF1942. I used to hunt them down. It's not as if the sniper rifle was some ultra powerful weapon. BF2 is dumbed down when it comes to snipers. Some noobs didn't like getting shot a few times so the sniper rifle now has to be worthless. :rolleyes:

I really like how i can be 5 feet from someone and still miss unless i use the scope :(

Genocidal[v2] said:
Everyone knows that if you shoot a sniper rifle without a scope, it doesn't shoot straight :p
lol...aperently a high powered rifle also gets more powerful at a longer range too...

I went back to using the M24 instead of the M95 and wow... what a difference.

Maybe the M24 should be the unlockable sniper rifle as it just blows the other 3 out of the water...

They should just make the M24 a teeny bit more accurate and then change the M95 to the same accuracy. It would still take both guns 2 hits to kill someone if shot in the chest but the M95 would just have the added bonus of being able to take down chopper pilots.

Back