Batman: Arkham Knight

Oh well. Got the game for $15 and haven't even installed it. Once it's fixed, I'm sure it will be great. So get it for cheap while you can.

What a horrible launch for such a big title. Unbelievable.

Well I guess we were both right, there will be a patch next month but it's only an "interim" one while the full release/patch comes later.

Love how they just say "August", meaning it could be the last week of August and still be within the time they say. So up to 6 weeks away still at most it seems.

Well I started the game last night and just wanted to post some quick impressions. I'm using GTX 980 SLI and the game is installed on a 1TB 850 EVO.

Game is smooth as silk until it stutters. And the stutters are large, as in everything will just freeze for what seems like several seconds (in reality it's probably much shorter). It's pretty jarring, and not what I expected. I thought that I was going to be experiencing minor hitching and stuttering. When I jumped from that first building at the beginning of the game, I thought "man this is running VERY smoothly" but it didn't take long to see what you guys were talking about. The freezing is unacceptable for a $60 AAA game. It's not like I'm running this on a marginal PC.

Production values seem great so far. And this Gotham City game world is leaps and bounds better in terms of graphics and detail. It looks so good compared to the past games.

I don't mind the way the Batmobile drives, and using it in combat seems like a cool addition to the series so far. Maybe it'll get old; I'm still very early in the game.

I'm not sure whether to keep playing and have my first experience marred by the major stuttering or to hold off until it's (hopefully) resolved. I really want to continue, and it runs extremely well when it's not freezing up, but it's pretty damn intrusive when it does happen.

Oh, I forgot about the recommendation to disable SLI. Next time I play, I'll disable SLI and designate my second 980 as a PhysX card and then see if that improves things.

I also didn't do anything to disable the fps cap or do any of those tweaks from the Steam thread. So maybe between all of these things I stand a chance of improving the experience.

so the 'interim' patch next month is still not good enough to re-release the game on Steam etc??...wow...this is on the short list of biggest release day fuck ups of a AAA PC title-ever (worse then AC: Unity)...I don't get how a game can require this much work when the console versions run flawlessly (especially PS4)...seems like a complete rewrite from the ground up...they better give all current users the Season Pass for free

speaking of the Season Pass...reports are that all the DLC released thus far has been underwhelming to say the least...the Red Hood one is 10 minutes long????...that's ridiculous...the Harley one is maybe 30 minutes and the Batgirl one is the longest at 60 minutes

Last edited:
how do the developers come up with these riddles??...a lot of them are clever...do they have a special team dedicated to them?...I'm talking about the Arkham games in general since I haven't played Arkham Knight yet...I'm almost done with my replay of Arkham City and I forgot how many of those riddles are scattered throughout the world (440)...so many clever designs to them as well...they must have a separate team with extensive knowledge of the Bat-world and some background in math/statistics

I find it quicker to use the grapnel and then tap the A button repeatedly so by the time I hit the top I rocket off the building at Mach5 and can fly across the entire map in a minute or two and avoid any of the crap in the way.
This. The Batmobile can be good to launch you into the air without needing to move, though, if you get frustrated trying to find a good grapnel spot or are simply out in the open.

This. The Batmobile can be good to launch you into the air without needing to move, though, if you get frustrated trying to find a good grapnel spot or are simply out in the open.

Yep, that too. :D

Nvidia's GameWorks and QA teams are helping fix Arkham Knight

Developer Rocksteady is "working like crazy" to fix the game, and Nvidia recently revealed that it's helping man the pumps too... and not just with driver-related work either: Tom Petersen, a "distinguished engineer" at Nvidia, told MMORPG.com that its GameWorks and QA teams are "fixing a ton of things, that are not necessarily related to us."

Petersen framed Nvidia's role in de-disaster-ifying Arkham Knight as part of its broader effort to support gaming on the PC, and implied that it would do the same for other games released in similarly shoddy condition...

http://www.pcgamer.com/nvidias-gameworks-and-qa-teams-are-helping-fix-batman-arkham-asylum/

Runs perfect on my rig.
Solid 1080p30 maxed out, even with the Nvidia options enabled and I cranked everything to 11 with the tweak tool. No stuttering or anything. I can actually get 60fps on foot, driving the batmobile drops me to about 40. With an OC'd 970 or 980 etc I would probably run a solid 60 at all times and those are budget cards.

What are people complaining about? Poor scaling beyond console settings? What do people expect this day and age. As soon as you break that 30fps barrier (IE: Console parity) everything goes to shit.

I installed this and it runs perfect on my 980Ti at 1500mhz. Didn't notice a single performance problem, I got a couple of hours into it last night.

I installed this and it runs perfect on my 980Ti at 1500mhz. Didn't notice a single performance problem, I got a couple of hours into it last night.

That's been my experience the entire time except sometimes cruising around in the Batmobile at high speeds I'll see some occasional, brief hitching. Everyone knows there are performance anamolies with this game in that kind of situation no matter what.

I'm 96 percent complete with the game and frankly I think there was an overblown knee jerk and hysteria. The game looks awesome, runs awesome, and is super fun to play. Easily the best of the series.

I understand there were problems...I get it... but I simply did not experience this dreadful cataclysm playing this game for the 40+ hours I put into it.

YMMV

Last edited:
it is sad, I have a 980ti, and recently got a ps4 not for this game but other exclusives, and batman came with ps4, and wow it runs and looks so much better on the ps4. So I figured I just play it on PS4

on PC it stutters a lot especially in batmobile, but on PS4 smooth as silk.

I understand there were problems...I get it... but I simply did not experience this dreadful cataclysm playing this game for the 40+ hours I put into it.

YMMV

Enough apparently had issues that they pulled the game and still aren't selling it again though.

I was seeing single digit framerates while trying to drive the Batmobile until I made a lot of tweaks, and even then it wasnt smooth. I ended up avoiding the use of the Batmobile unless it was absolutely required (esp since it was far quicker to just fly everywhere once you get the grapnel upgrade).

I got it running well enough to get through it, but it was far from the sort of experience I'd expect from a AAA title. Thankfully I only paid $20 for it. If I had paid $60, I'd be pissed.

it is sad, I have a 980ti, and recently got a ps4 not for this game but other exclusives, and batman came with ps4, and wow it runs and looks so much better on the ps4. So I figured I just play it on PS4

on PC it stutters a lot especially in batmobile, but on PS4 smooth as silk.

Those little consoles are still pretty powerful since there is little overhead in the API. Thinking of a XBOX One or PS4. I want to play some Bloodbourne eventually.

During some testing I copied the game over to my WD Blue and it really does run awful on HDDs. Texture pop-in, stuttering, etc. The game is way more disk heavy than I expected.

lol why can Batman teleport 100 yards to punch a guy, then teleport 100 yards back the other direction to punch another guy. You can ping-pong 2 city blocks between 2 enemies punching them back and forth. But he runs at a snail's pace outside of combat.

Having played all the previous Arkham games, and absolutely SUCKING at them, I am facerolling 50+ combos in this game just by spamming left click (yes, keyboard & mouse). It's an absolute joke.

And then 5 minutes into the game they throw half-naked Poison Ivy at you to appeal the 15-year-old male demographic.
This game is just pathetic in so many ways. It looks pretty though. Feels like they went the Tim Burton route on asthetics and soundtrack, looks and sounds amazing.

lol why can Batman teleport 100 yards to punch a guy, then teleport 100 yards back the other direction to punch another guy. You can ping-pong 2 city blocks between 2 enemies punching them back and forth. But he runs at a snail's pace outside of combat.

Having played all the previous Arkham games, and absolutely SUCKING at them, I am facerolling 50+ combos in this game just by spamming left click (yes, keyboard & mouse). It's an absolute joke.

And then 5 minutes into the game they throw half-naked Poison Ivy at you to appeal the 15-year-old male demographic.
This game is just pathetic in so many ways. It looks pretty though.

What was the last game you played that you actually liked? I don't think I've been in that thread yet.

Dying Light. Over 100 hours so far, 3 playthroughs. Game of the year.
Also, I actually like this game overall.

Dying Light. Over 100 hours so far, 3 playthroughs. Game of the year.
Also, I actually like this game overall.

What difficulty are you playing this game at? Maxing it out might help you if you haven't done that already.

Can't disagree about some of the "15 year old demographic" concepts.

What difficulty are you playing this game at? Maxing it out might help you if you haven't done that already.

Can't disagree about some of the "15 year old demographic" concepts.
Yeah I left it on the default difficulty, Normal I guess. The previous Arkham games have kicked my ass so I left it down.

That's been my experience the entire time except sometimes cruising around in the Batmobile at high speeds I'll see some occasional, brief hitching. Everyone knows there are performance anamolies with this game in that kind of situation no matter what.

I'm 96 percent complete with the game and frankly I think there was an overblown knee jerk and hysteria. The game looks awesome, runs awesome, and is super fun to play. Easily the best of the series.

YMMV

Same here. Only issues I've ran into are progression breaking bugs (bugged riddler trophy, entered a penguin stash before I was supposed to and got stuck), but zero performance issues.

This game got 10x better once I got the new

batsuit
It's just a shame the game goes from blowing your mind to boring you to death so often. They really should have just left the batmobile in the open world (where it belongs). Being forced to move ramps and pull levers with the stupid car is not fun. But I do enjoy the Riddler races.

I did say a few months ago these are the best graphics I've ever seen and I stand by it. Photorealistic in many cases. Without a doubt the best looking game out there.

is it crazy to think that Rocksteady might actually release the DX12 patch when the game is re-released??...sort of an apology and gift to PC gamers

is it crazy to think that Rocksteady might actually release the DX12 patch when the game is re-released??...sort of an apology and gift to PC gamers

I doubt it. I'd be surprised if we ever got a DX12 update for the game at this point.

I was getting 60+ fps with W8.1, now I'm getting 10 fps avg with W10. WTF! Anyone who's playing right now who hasn't upgraded to W10, DONT!!

Sounds like another issue.
I've seen people elsewhere say their performance drastically improved with Windows 10.

Maybe a problem with Nvidia's shitty Win10 driver. It won't take them long to sort it out.

W10 has the option to revert back to 8.1 for 30 days, so I did. I'll wait until the 30 days are up for me to come back to 10. Maybe the bugs I had will be addressed. 9 out of 10 times the problems are solved with a clean install. I just went the upgrade path,didn't want to have to install all my programs this weekend. Who knows, maybe this week sometime I'll do a fresh install. Gonna go watch the fight. Go Rousey, kick her ass.

Last edited:
does Arkham Knight stealth install that AMD Dual Core Optimizer program?...with Arkham Asylum and Arkham City it installs it by default even though that program hasn't been of any use since the Windows XP/Athlon days

My card is old now so I was running the game at 10 fps under 8.1. Since Win 10 I am running it at 20-30 fps.
I got a 760ti coming in next week.../sigh.

Anyway, for me Win 10 was an improvement nonetheless...

On a side note, played for about 2 hours and am blown away by how good the game is so far...

does Arkham Knight stealth install that AMD Dual Core Optimizer program?...with Arkham Asylum and Arkham City it installs it by default even though that program hasn't been of any use since the Windows XP/Athlon days

No it does not.

I don't know but it sure didn't quite seem like she kicked her ass. I think it was stopped too soon

I don't think it was stopped too soon. The other one face planted lol. But yeah, it was a one sided beating...

Sorry for hijacking the thread. MMA talk over now...

The textures in this game are raping my SSD.

What is this supposed to mean? That the textures take a long time to load on your SSD? That's a known bug with the texture streaming: it assumes you're streaming off optical media (*cough*bad PS4 port*cough*) so it staggers the higher resolution texture loading.

This is one of many things that need to be entirely scrapped during the PC re-development.

so when Rocksteady says the interim PC patch is scheduled for an August release they probably mean August 31st :eek: ...so this interim patch is still not good enough to get the game back up on Steam??

Back