Batman: Arkham City = 40 hours of gameplay

defiant007

2[H]4U
http://www.destructoid.com/batman-arkham-city-offers-40-hours-of-content-201416.phtml

Length-obsessed gamers will be cheered by the news that Rocksteady's next Batman game, Arkham City, will offer forty hours of content, with the main story taking twenty-five hours to beat and sidequests requiring an extra fifteen.

"It takes over 25 hours to complete the main stories in Batman: Arkham City. To keep players engaged for this length of time, not only do the characters and the story need to progress, but the core mechanics of the game they are playing need to change and adapt as well", said game director Sefton Hill.

"The side missions in Batman: Arkham City are a good example. We have around 15 hours of story that's off the main path."

By all accounts, the game looks like it's going to be a thing of beauty, and the fact that there's plenty of it to go around can only be good news. I'm pretty stoked. What about you lot?

Batman Arkham Asylum + open world sandbox + side quests + 40 hours of gameplay = fuck yeah!@!

1520931-take_my_money_super.jpg

This and Skyrim are the only games that I'm really looking forward to this year.

This and Skyrim are the only games that I'm really looking forward to this year.

This. There are a couple others that I'm interested in but these two are pretty much the only two on my radar from here on out. Which is nice because I am cleaning out my game backlog now!

Meh I'm that one guy who didn't enjoy Arkham asylum. Got about an hour in before I was bored senseless. Too much generic Geoff johns DC infinite crapfest crossover bullshit goody two shoes batman and not enough Frank Millar "I'm the goddamn Batman" The Dark Knight Returns Batman.

I was a late comer to Batman AA by not thinking it was my cup of tea. I picked it up on one of Steam's sales and was instantly hooked and quickly logged 20+ hours and is one of only a handful of games that I played thru 3 times back to back. The gameplay, action, storyline, graphics and most importantly the atmosphere were all just superb. I will be buying this on its release day even if its $60.

i really hope the sidequest are not ''find this or that''

but yes... TAKE MY MONEY!

Meh I'm that one guy who didn't enjoy Arkham asylum. Got about an hour in before I was bored senseless. Too much generic Geoff johns DC infinite crapfest crossover bullshit goody two shoes batman and not enough Frank Millar "I'm the goddamn Batman" The Dark Knight Returns Batman.

+1. did not like the first game. nothing special

Not GOTY but damn good for sure. The first was the best superhero game I have played. Great graphics, atmosphere and better than normal fighting mechanics. Very polished imo. Look forward to the new one.

AA has some of the most addicting "collection" quests I've ever played.

On my first attempt with Batman: AA, I stopped playing around 1 hour in, as it felt kinda tedious.
But thankfully I replayed it later, none-stop until I had found every riddler challenge and story-stones - the gameplay didnt get amazingly better, but the pacing, bosses, the great character-backstories and most impressive of all Mark Hamill as the Joker, made it a great game

Yeah, this is one I'm really looking forward too. I thought they did an excellent job of balancing out the first game, I got a lot of playtime in on it.

Meh I'm that one guy who didn't enjoy Arkham asylum. Got about an hour in before I was bored senseless.

Not the only one. AA was just different combinations of the same few henchmen, and occasionally titans, over and over and over again, with very few unique encounters (and fewer that were worth a damn). They could make it a million hours long for all the difference it would make. They could just make a random fight generator and have it go on forever.

You should play a bit longer. I felt the same way when I first played it, but I forced myself to stick with it for a few more hours, and it's a pretty good game. Nothing spectacular, but better then most of the crap that's come out.

Day 1 purchase for me as well. Playing the first one was a blast with solving all riddles & finding everything.

will be impressed if it actually does play like its open world

I have enough faith that Arkham City is going to be a damn good game

15 hours of chasing down trophy locations? No thanks! Will wait till it hits $5 on Steam.

Awesome, I was disappointed when I finished Arkham Asylum, but only because I was sad I finished it. If it's anywhere near as good as the first, it'll be a day 1 purchase for me.

I hear long Batman sandbox game and think, it sounds like Just Cause 2 with the colorful scenery taken away. Replace the parachute with a cape, replace the JC2 power grapple with a bat grapple and you're done.... Oh, and no guns, but these could, theoretically, have some very similar game play mechanics; and that would in no way be a bad thing.

Lucky for me, I really don't know much about Batman lore and which version is best. I did like the game, knowing full well it was mostly a combat/stealth sim.

Lucky for me, I really don't know much about Batman lore and which version is best. I did like the game, knowing full well it was mostly a combat/stealth sim.

The game had a lot of things in it. In fact fans of just about every version of Batman should have been pleased with the game. Though obviously you can't please everyone.

Dark Knight Returns was awesome, but outside of that I'm not a fan of Millar's other alternate Batman stuff. Strikes Again was horrible, All-Star ranges from "mildly interesting" to utter shit. The AA Batman wasn't really in the Geoff Johns style, it's very much the Paul Dini style Batman from the animated series. The game's Harely seemed like something Millar and Lee would make though and I still don't like that look for her very much.

Great news about the length, but I agree with the above posters, I hope that 15 hours isn't a treasure hunt. And I did find every Riddler trophy in the first game...

Indeed. I didn't stop playing the game until I did everything.

Ditto. I think this is probably the only game on GFWL or Steam that's been so good I've gone for every single achievement and loved every minute of it. Normally I couldn't care less what achievements there are.

It's a real gamers game. The combat was top notch. Easy to approach but satisfyingly hard to master to the point of massive combo points. I love that they had the confidence to just take all their action sequences out of the main game and present them separately for you to go over until you mastered them. It's a real testament to their solid, core gameplay.

Whilst I liked the Batman theme they honestly could have stuck any IP on that gameplay and it would have been GOTY. It was just a solid gamers game.

Seems there are bucketloads of great games out now or in the near future. Honestly don't know how I'm going to justify getting them all; I'd like to act like I have a life but there's no chance I'm passing up these titles.

Not the only one. AA was just different combinations of the same few henchmen, and occasionally titans, over and over and over again, with very few unique encounters (and fewer that were worth a damn). They could make it a million hours long for all the difference it would make. They could just make a random fight generator and have it go on forever.

But you're forgetting the part where Arkham Asylum had the best combat in any third person action game ever.

It's the only game I ever actually did the challenge maps in just because the combat was so fucking phenomenal. I can't wait to see what they did with it in the sequel.

I really like Batman:AA and I'm hoping B:AC is just as good or better. I also hope that they release a demo for B:AC just like for the first one. That really helped to sell me on it instead of just reading opinions from other players.

Dark Knight Returns was awesome, but outside of that I'm not a fan of Millar's other alternate Batman stuff. Strikes Again was horrible, All-Star ranges from "mildly interesting" to utter shit. The AA Batman wasn't really in the Geoff Johns style, it's very much the Paul Dini style Batman from the animated series. The game's Harely seemed like something Millar and Lee would make though and I still don't like that look for her very much.

Ok, I'll say Geoff Johns was low blow. I guess what I mean is I've never been a fan of "Batman world's greatest detective" you know the good guy everybody likes with all the hightech gadgets who can walk around Arkham like the prince of Siam. I like Batman the conflicted vigilante who's as much a criminal as the people he pursues.

In the beginning of AA he struts in like moses parting the convicts like the red sea leading his guards to freedom in the brightly lite land of Gotham. Then with the gadgets and what not. About an hour I squinted and could make out the joel schumacher nipples on his suit. After that I called it quits.

I'm being mean because I'm a deranged fanboy so take it with a grain of salt. One of these days I'll give it another shot but I'm in no hurry.

The animated series was my favorite batman. It really was very well done. I think AA was fantastic I played through twice and the second time did all the collection stuff. One of my favorite games.

What if Kevin Smith had a hand in this game? Could be good for some laughs.

What if Kevin Smith had a hand in this game? Could be good for some laughs.

If Kevin Smith had a hand in it the game wouldn't be done for another three years because he wouldn't bother getting around to finishing anything for ages.

This game is way different than anything I'm used to playing. I normally stick to military FPS and Oblivion-like games. And I must say, I'm really enjoying it. Great graphics and love the little sound bits and bios you can collect. And the sneak around approach is fun, rather than always 'hey diddle diddle right up the middle' kind of gaming. Worth it.

I'm on this on day 1 pretty much no matter what. I love the first game and have gone through it 3 different times. Hopefully the release of the PC version won't lag behind the console games again.

Back