• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Basic questions about raid?!

Ron1jed

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Dec 22, 2001
Messages
5,118
I have some basic questions about running raid. I have never ran a raid set up before.

Is it really that much faster? I have 2 older 40 gig ide hard drive that are identical and i was wondering if I ran them in raid would that be faster then going out and buying a solid state drive?

How do i set up those 2 hard drives to run in a raid set up? Oh and yes i know google has all the answers....
 
I'll answer seriously even if the question looks like a joke.

No, two old IDE drives won't be faster than a SSD, or why would SSD sell at 100 times the price of hard drives ?

Two old IDE drives in RAID0 (since there are a lot of RAID modes, but I'm assuming you meant that one) will not even come close to a modern hard drive in term of sequential speed.
 
Two old IDE drives in RAID0 (since there are a lot of RAID modes, but I'm assuming you meant that one) will not even come close to a modern hard drive in term of sequential speed.

Agreed. 2 ancient 40GB ide hard drives will be much slower than any single harddrive you can buy today.
 
My guess is that if you're running a rig old enough to have 40GB IDE drives, the motherboard doesn't have SATA. Newegg only has recertified IDE drives, but they're 120GB to 320GB drives that cost $25 to $42. Even these will likely greatly outperform your 40GB drives in RAID, though I wonder if you would be able to tell the difference on whatever PC has 40GB hard drives. An IDE SSD would be an oddity (edit; I stand corrected, they exist, but wouldn't you be better off upgrading the rest of the system?)

Honestly, I think we're all a bit agog that you're talking about 40GB drives. Don't those date from the 90s?
 
I have some basic questions about running raid. I have never ran a raid set up before.

Is it really that much faster? I have 2 older 40 gig ide hard drive that are identical and i was wondering if I ran them in raid would that be faster then going out and buying a solid state drive?

You've been here for almost 10 years... and you seriously are asking if two ancient 40GB HDDs are faster than a SSD... um :eek:

Short answer: no.
Long answer: hell no.
 
Honestly, I think we're all a bit agog that you're talking about 40GB drives. Don't those date from the 90s?

No, 40GB HDDs are circa 2000-2002.
1999 saw the advent of 12-37GB HDDs at best.
 
Last edited:
you got some reading to do OP

If you get those going in RAID 0 we want to see screenshots yo

does your mobo have RAID support onboard or will you be running a PCI controller?
 
You've been here for almost 10 years... and you seriously are asking if two ancient 40GB HDDs are faster than a SSD... um :eek:

Short answer: no.
Long answer: hell no.

My thoughts exactly.

Anandtech counts those political/dating/off topic posts in the total post count.

Basically there's no need to post anything about computers but still have a great post count/title that's a little misleading on a tec site.

Is the policy the same here?

...........Sorry OP, this is a little off-post and isn't directed at you.
 
My thoughts exactly.

Anandtech counts those political/dating/off topic posts in the total post count.

Basically there's no need to post anything about computers but still have a great post count/title that's a little misleading on a tec site.

Is the policy the same here?

...........Sorry OP, this is a little off-post and isn't directed at you.

haha, yeah the policy is the same here, posting silly things in GenMay will up the post count as well.

The thing that gets me isn't his post count, it's the fact that he's been here for almost 10 years, and yet doesn't honestly realize a SSD will be faster than two 40GB PATA HDDs from 2002. :eek:
 
it's the fact that he's been here for almost 10 years, and yet doesn't honestly realize a SSD will be faster than two 40GB PATA HDDs from 2002.
Scary things happen around Halloween? LOL!
 
shut up you guys, don't discourage him

he will learn a lot...and I want to see it
 
I want to see him get several of them, put ide/sata adapters on them, and hook them up to a high-end HBA on a SAN...
 
Just to put this in perspective, in my desktop I use a single 500GB portable-class SATA Seagate drive for my OS.

I then decided to install eight IBM 5400RPM 37GB PATA HDDs from 1999/2000 and use MDADM software RAID and put them into RAID0.

Needless to say, all eight of them in RAID0 had about 1/3 the performance of my 500GB 2.5" SATA drive, let alone a SSD.
 
LOLOLOLOL

haha, tell me about it!
When I turned the system on with those eight drives installed, it sounded like a jet engine taking off, and the whole desk vibrated every time I copied files to the drives.

Needless to say, I put them back into a 486-powered DAS where they belong. ;)


It's actually funny that this thread popped up considering I did that setup just a week ago. :p
 
K easy enough. I will be buying a solid state drive next week off new egg. Now i just need to figure out which one is the best bang for buck. Any recommendations? trying to keep it under 170. THanks
 
K easy enough. I will be buying a solid state drive next week off new egg. Now i just need to figure out which one is the best bang for buck. Any recommendations? trying to keep it under 170. THanks

Ok, this is too much, there are like 800 threads on this.
Seriously, use the search bar and/or do a newegg search.

Almost 10 years on this forum and this is the kind of response we get, fail. :rolleyes:

I think your signature describes this thread perfectly. ;)
 
I recommend a 256GB intel SSD. Send it to me, and I will do extensive testing in a real-world environment for several months to make sure it's okay.
 
Ok, this is too much, there are like 800 threads on this.
Seriously, use the search bar and/or do a newegg search.

Almost 10 years on this forum and this is the kind of response we get, fail. :rolleyes:

I think your signature describes this thread perfectly. ;)


Listen man. Sorry if i post on these for forums 10 years and am still a "noob" in your eyes. But I if i just read all the reviews on newegg and googled all my questions I had i wouldn't even come here. I come here because i trust the advice given to me. Sorry. I'll just go delete my account and use google for everything from now on. :rolleyes:
 
Listen man. Sorry if i post on these for forums 10 years and am still a "noob" in your eyes. But I if i just read all the reviews on newegg and googled all my questions I had i wouldn't even come here. I come here because i trust the advice given to me. Sorry. I'll just go delete my account and use google for everything from now on. :rolleyes:

You gave us no system specs.
You did not tell us what you are wanting to do with the drive or why you need it.
You asked us an insanely noobish question in the OP, and honestly, we didn't even know if you were trolling or being serious.

What the hell did you expect?

What you asked for can easily be found by searching newegg, just sort out the SSDs by price.
Why should we do the research for you when you can do it yourself, considering we don't know any of the questions I listed above.
You should search this forum, considering there are about five other threads open, right next to this one, in which case individuals are asking about which SSDs to pick.
zomg it might take you 10 seconds to look over the threads. :rolleyes:

I would expect one who has been here for nearly a decade to at least have a little more experience in these areas, or at least ask questions that can't be found by a 5 second google search and a slight amount of effort.

It doesn't take 10 years to learn that PATA drives from 2002 are going to be slower than a SSD from 2011. :rolleyes:

I'm not trying to be rude or condescending, but this is pretty lame.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top