Basic HTPC Recommendation/Questions

Chelica

2[H]4U
Hello all,

Been wanting to setup a decent HTPC for sometime and feel as if right now is a good time to bite the bullet and proceed, unless someone can tell me a good reason why I should wait it out.

I like CrimandEvil's suggestion on the core parts because it's very affordable.
Here are the parts that I am thinking of purchasing:
Motherboard: ASUS M3N78-VM AM2+
CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 240 Regor 2.8GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Processor
Memory: G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ

Case:
I know that cases are pretty much dependent on the user's preference and budget. However, I do want something that actually looks like an HTPC and not a desktop tower.
I saw Crim's suggestion on the Antec New Solution NSK2480 Black/Silver. This might stand out a bit much since I doubt that it will fit inside my media console. We will probably set the unit right next to the TV. My media console can be seen here: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80133930 (Ikea Besta Burs). We got it in the black gloss finish. I also saw that some people opted for this particular case: nMEDIAPC Black Aluminum / Acrylic / Steel HTPC 5000B. It does not come with a power supply so does anyone have a recommendation on a PSU in the case that I choose this case? Something that does not sound like a turbine when powered on is highly appreciated. Speaking of PSU noise, do people usually stick with the Antec PSU on the NSK2480 or they replace it with something quieter?

In regards of OS, I am guessing Windows 7 is the way to go, please correct me if I am wrong.
Which version of the OS is recommended? Do I really need to shell out the extra $100 for the Ultimate edition or can I get by with the Home edition?

Capacity/Connection:
Do people usually run a storage server alongside their HTPC or do they store everything in their HTPC? My living room is located on other side of my office. The modem and router is currently setup in the office. If I was to setup a basic storage server, it will need to be located in the office. I will probably be using a WiFi card on the HTPC to gain access to the storage server. Any recommendation on router and card that can handle such a task? My router is pretty crappy right now, Linksys WRT54GP2.

Audio:
The HTPC box will connect directly to my TV. The TV that we have is: Vizio VS420LF1A, which is a reincarnation of this model. When it comes down to Audio, I am at lost. Is there an entry level audio system that anyone can recommend? Maybe a simple 2.1 will be good enough for us. I would probably need a receiver to get this done but I was thinking of maybe being able to run iTunes, playing music without the need of turning the TV on. There's an app that I was reading about for my iPod Touch that can act as a remote for playing audio on the iTunes. I would love to take advantage of that.

That's pretty much it for now. I know is a long read but appreciate the help in advance.
Thank you.

1.) The Antec PSU bundled with it is actually pretty good, haven't had reason to replace it.

2.) Yes, Win7 and go for Home Premium. No point to getting Ultimate.

3.) I highly suggest going seperate, WHS and an HTPC. If you're doing HD content then make sure you go with wireless N.

Thanks Crim!
Any recommendation on Wireless N Router/Card?
I was reading about this and is sounding pretty impressive.
D-Link DIR-655 IEEE 802.3/3u

Also, I was going through my spare parts kit that I had accumulated over the years and found some decent part that I can actually use for an HTPC.

What do you think about:
Foxconn G45M-S Motherboard running either an Intel E4600 or Intel E7400? Comparable to the build list that you had posted?

Also, I was going through my spare parts kit that I had accumulated over the years and found some decent part that I can actually use for an HTPC.

What do you think about:
Foxconn G45M-S Motherboard running either an Intel E4600 or Intel E7400? Comparable to the build list that you had posted?

As a HTPC build, not comparable: the onboard graphics does not offload the decoding of HD content that well so you will see higher CPU usage nor does the onboard graphics supports audio via HDMI IIRC.

With that said, if you already have that motherboard and CPU on hand, all you need to do is add a cheap video card like this:
$40 - Asus EAH4350 SILENT/DI/512MD2(LP) Radeon HD 4350 512MB PCI-E Video Card

The HD 4350 can offload the decoding of HD content as well as supports 7.1 LPCM audio via HDMI just like the onboard video of the mobo that CrimandEvil listed.

Anyway PSU wise, if you go with that NMedia case, then I highly recommend this quality and quiet PSU:
$45 - Antec Earthwatts 430W PSU

As a HTPC build, not comparable: the onboard graphics does not offload the decoding of HD content that well so you will see higher CPU usage nor does the onboard graphics supports audio via HDMI IIRC.

With that said, if you already have that motherboard and CPU on hand, all you need to do is add a cheap video card like this:
$40 - Asus EAH4350 SILENT/DI/512MD2(LP) Radeon HD 4350 512MB PCI-E Video Card

The HD 4350 can offload the decoding of HD content as well as supports 7.1 LPCM audio via HDMI just like the onboard video of the mobo that CrimandEvil listed.

Anyway PSU wise, if you go with that NMedia case, then I highly recommend this quality and quiet PSU:
$45 - Antec Earthwatts 430W PSU

Thanks for the suggestion.
Which will perform better as an HTPC, Crim's suggestion of that AMD Mobo + CPU combo or my Foxconn board with an E7400 + Radeon HD 4350?

Trying to see if it's worth the extra cash to just get new parts instead of using what I have. I can always use the Foxconn setup for a WHS unit.

They'll be about the same in almost every aspect of a HTPC.

However the seperate video card route does let have very light gaming capability.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

They'll be about the same in almost every aspect of a HTPC.

However the seperate video card route does let have very light gaming capability.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

+1 The 8200 handles everything well (see my sig), but the 4350 will add some light gaming potential.

One thing you might consider, but only if you don't have an XBOX/PS3 is being able to do some gaming on your htpc. I only have a wii, and am starting to wish I had a wireless xbox controller and some gaming capability on my htpc so that I can play racing and sports games while on the couch. Also, the fiancee likes to use the main rig, so if you have that issue then you also might consider giving your htpc some light gaming power.

Thanks to newer drivers, the G45 is on par with the 8000/9000 and 700 series IGPs. It also does audio over HDMI too (7.1 LPCM) so your good on all fronts with it. If you already have these parts then I'd suggest using them.

Thanks to newer drivers, the G45 is on par with the 8000/9000 and 700 series IGPs. It also does audio over HDMI too (7.1 LPCM) so your good on all fronts with it. If you already have these parts then I'd suggest using them.

Really? Cool, Didn't know those issues were fixed.

O wow, nice!
I'll start populating them and order the OS to get this show on the road. Appreciate all of the feedback!

Back