• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Basic Build.

master noran

2[H]4U
Joined
Dec 10, 2006
Messages
2,825
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Internet, general use.
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
$350 CAN with taxes.
3) Where do you live?
Canada
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. Please be very specific.
CPU,MB,RAM,HD
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
I'm not sure about the ps, but If it's crap I'll probably go with a 450W corsair or something.
6) Will you be overclocking?
No
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
24" 1920 1080 (no gaming)
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Next week or so.
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.
Integrated graphics would be good, no need for a powerful gpu.
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? 32bit or 64bit?
Yes, We have windows 7.


I'm planning on ordering from www.Bewawa.com

This is for my dad's pc, he just wants something a little faster with multiple programs and such. He's coming from a single core AMD clocked at 1.8 ghz or something.

I Just need to know what is a great budget platform right now, I was thinking about a e5200 or something a cheap LGA 775 MB with integrated graphics but wanted to see what you guys think.

Thanks in advance.
 
Actually an AMD X2 245 CPU + AMD mobo would be a significantly better and higher performing buy and more than likely a cheaper setup than a E5200 + Intel mobo.
 
Actually an AMD X2 245 CPU + AMD mobo would be a significantly better and higher performing buy and more than likely a cheaper setup than a E5200 + Intel mobo.

Any recommended intel alternative? I want to stay with what I know.
 
Also, since LGA775 and DDR2 are on their way out, it would be better to go with an AMD Athlon2 X2, AMD 785G AM3, and DDR3 instead. Intel equiv would be Core i3 530 + H55 board and DDR3, but you'll get more bang for your buck with the 785G and AMD. Since you're not OC'ing, there really isn't much difference between Intel and AMD except for price and performance.
 
Also, since LGA775 and DDR2 are on their way out, it would be better to go with an AMD Athlon2 X2, AMD 785G AM3, and DDR3 instead. Intel equiv would be Core i3 530 + H55 board and DDR3, but you'll get more bang for your buck with the 785G and AMD. Since you're not OC'ing, there really isn't much difference between Intel and AMD except for price and performance.

Thanks for all thee replies. You mention a difference in performance, which would perform better? I'm not sure if that's a reply to my comment on "sticking to what I know" or you're saying there is a performance difference between the amd and intel alternatives in your post. I hope you know what I mean :confused:

Thanks again.
 
Last edited:
I believe he means that, oc'ing aside, the difference is that the AMD build will perform about the same but for less money.

And I agree. At your price point AMD makes the most sense. You might also check out some Dell pre-builts - those prices can be hard to beat for decent internet machines.
 
Thanks for the help guys, sorry for the late reply but I only ended up ordering today.

I'm going to re-use my dad's generic case, I think for $300 this is a very nice build



THERMALTAKE W0070RUC 430WATTS POWER SUPPLY6 PIN PCIE CONNECTORDUAL 8CM FAN CASTTT-W0070RUC 1 $ 35.99
500GB 3.5" SATA II Desktop Hard Drive 16MB Cache 7200RPM WD5000AAKS - Western Digital HDDWDC-WD5000KS 1 $ 39.99
AMD Athlon II X2 250 / 3 GHz - Socket AM3 - L2 2 MB ( 2 x 1 MB ) ADX250OCGQBOX 1 $ 63.99
OCZ MEMORY 4G KIT(2X2G)DDR3-1333 XTC OCZ3G1333LV4GK RETAIL OCZ3G1333LV4GK 1 $ 79.99
GIGABYTE MB GA-M68M-S2P AMD 7025 603A AM3 AM2+ AM2 PCIEX16 DDR2 MATX RETAIL GAM68MS2P 1 $ 51.99
Subtotal $ 271.95
Surcharge $ 0.40
Shipping & Handling $ 0.00
Tax $ 35.41
Grand Total $ 307.76


Throw in a single slot 5770 and this would be a very nice MATX gaming rig all the way up to 1920x1200.
 
Well the store called me to tell me that the they figured they should call and tell me that the motherboard does not support ddr3 ram (I was sure it did) I was pretty much saved by the bell. I've got 4gb of ddr2 lying around so I'll use that. I'll be sure to take pics when I assemble the pc.
 
Back
Top