Basic Build w/SSD

OrangeWolf

Gawd
Hey there folks.

First, some background: I've told my parents I plan to get them a better computer for their Anniversary in June. They told one of their friends about it who is now all excited for me to help her get a new computer to go with her new DSL connection. I'm not sure if she's going to actually go through with it not (guessing not), but just in case I wanted to sort out the parts.

She wants it to be "snappy" and "turn on faster" and have a "smaller case than she already has."

================================================
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Mostly browsing the internet and looking at pictures. Probably a bit of video streaming and possibly Skype. Microsoft Word as well.
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
She told me she wasn't going to spend more than $700 everything included but would greatly appreciate me keeping that as low as possible.
3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
USA, Jackson Mississippi
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
CPU, RAM, case, MoBo, SSD, PSU (I forget anything?)
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
Not reusing anything except her peripherals (monitor, keyboard, mouse) and I don't know what they are.
6) Will you be overclocking?
No
7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
I don't know, but she's had it for a while. It's not 1920x1080
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
She's going to give me a yes or a no this week, if yes then I will buy this week. If no then she'll take my original suggestion and get a Dell prebuilt.
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.
I'd like to get her USB 3.0 because she has a new external hard drive that can take advantage of it, but not a deal breaker.
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Yeah I have a few cheap copies of Win7 and will give her one, this doesn't need to be included in budget.
================================================

Okay, a few other comments:

I want to get her an SSD. 128gb or 256gb. From what I can tell she's never used more than 50gb of space on her old computer so it should be plenty. It will make the computer feel fast at least.

What do you all think of the Fractal Design 1000? It's the right price more or less and it's smaller than average, which is something she wanted. Any other options in the smaller than normal cases that are good? Quiet is a plus.

Was thinking about the i3-3220 CPU, 4-8GB RAM, Antec PSU, and the case mentioned above to start. Not sure about specifics or a MoBo. I think that would all add up to as little as $500 though, possibly. Prefer to buy from Newegg.

Of course maybe she'll get the Dell, but she apparently has some sort of stigma about buying prebuilt.

Thanks all.

Last edited:
The Corsair CX430 is $20 after rebates at newegg right now. I'd go with that, 4GB of RAM and this. As far as SSD, I'm partial to the Samsung 840 series.

A 256 GB SSD may blow your budget, but it depends on the controller you choose. 128GB may be fine for her. You may be able to fit in within budget. Not having to buy a monitor really helps.

IMO, the Fractal Design 1000 is only worth getting if you absolutely must have mATX and only have $50 to spend on the case. Otherwise, it's not that good of a case IMO compared to similarily priced ATX cases. If mATX is needed, I recommend this case:
$78 - Silverstone PS07B mATX Case

However, if size is really important, why not a mITX build? Grab this mITX mobo:
$100 - Asus P8H77-I Intel H77 mITX Motherboard

As for the case, you have a few options:
Option A:
$110 - Silverstone SG05B-USB3.0 mITX Case with FSP SFX 300W PSU

Option B:
$40 - Coolermaster Elite 120 Advanced mITX Case
$40 - Corsair 430CX V2 430W PSU
---
Total: $80 shipped

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Core i3-3220

$128.95. Pay for shipping but no tax.

You can find 8GB DDR3 for less than $50 bucks. I'd go with that.

If no gaming how about you invest in a faster CPU with better integrated GPU?

Great suggestions all! I've got some good mobo options now and seems like the Corsair PSU is gonna be the one I get.

@DannyBui -- I like some of those other cases you mentioned. The reason I hadn't considered ITX is mostly because I don't know anything about it except that it exists and is common (I think) in HTPCs. What's the difference between it and ATX/mATX? I do like your idea a lot.

@KennyB -- I could do that, get a better CPU, but not sure which. I also wasn't sure if she'd even notice the difference between the i3-3220 and, say, the i5-3450. What do you think?

@DannyBui -- I like some of those other cases you mentioned. The reason I hadn't considered ITX is mostly because I don't know anything about it except that it exists and is common (I think) in HTPCs. What's the difference between it and ATX/mATX? I do like your idea a lot.
Just size and port/slot availability really.
@KennyB -- I could do that, get a better CPU, but not sure which. I also wasn't sure if she'd even notice the difference between the i3-3220 and, say, the i5-3450. What do you think?
No.

Okay, so at the moment I'm looking at one of the following (prices based on Newegg, since it's easier to order from one place):
i3-3220 - $129
microATX Mobo - $69
G Skill Value Series 2x4gb - $45
Crucial M4 128 gb 2.5" SSD - $119
Corsair CX430 PSU - $25
Silverstone Case - $78
Total = ~ $465
======================================
i3-3220 - $129
mITX mobo -- $99
G Skill Value Series 2x4gb - $45
Crucial M4 128 gb 2.5" SSD - $119
Corsair CX430 PSU - $25
CoolerMaster Case - $47
Total = ~ $464
That's pretty awesome dudes. I mean really awesome, and it will perfectly meet her needs. I'll go with whichever build she likes based on the case (I'll probably also show her that other one you mentioned DannyBui) and keep the other parts the same.

Is that RAM alright? Looked like a pretty good budget deal at a glance. And is that the right SSD? The 2.5" version? It was filed under "laptops" but I think those are the ones used for desktops too yeah?

This'll be great practice for what I want to do for my parents in a few months when Haswell is out (cept a bit more powerful). I've only built one computer so far (my awesome desktop -- thanks HF) so... yay.

Many thanks again to DannyBui especially, KennyB, and Chime

The RAM is overpriced for sure: You should not pay more than $40 for 8GB of DDR3 1333 RAM.

That's the right SSD

Awesome -- thanks again everyone. This looks solid and it came in at a great budget.

Edit: Just FYI -- just changed to Amazon because I finally figured out why we aren't fans of Newegg anymore. Cheers dudes.

Last edited:
Back