Basic Build Help (Small Form, SSD, no GPU)

OrangeWolf

Gawd
Hey there folks. o/

First, some background: This computer is a house-warming gift for my parents. They moved into their new house in October, and I had intended to this then, but I've just been too busy.

================================================
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Mostly browsing the internet and printing. Possibly Skype, possibly streaming. Minor photo-editing (nothing my Thinkpad x230 can't handle with integrated graphics, no need for GPU). Microsoft Office.
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
$700 or so with tax/shipping, but I'd prefer to keep it lower (tis the season).
3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
USA, Jackson Mississippi
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
CPU, RAM, case, ITX MoBo, SSD, PSU, Optical Drive (I forget anything?)
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
Monitor, printer, and mouse will be re-used. Might need a new keyboard, but they can buy that themselves.
6) Will you be overclocking?
No
7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
Current is 18.5" (?) 1680x1050, but I will give them my 21.5" 1080p one when I upgrade in a few months.
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
ASAP
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.
USB 3.0, Video (I guess)
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
I... actually need to check if I still have some. I had 5x copies of Win7 Ultimate at one point, and I can't remember if I've used them all. Regardless this is not included in the budget -- but if there are any super deals available (Windows 7 only, not 8) right now let me know. I bought a few in the past from Academic Superstore or something with a Faculty discount.
================================================

Okay, a few other comments:

I'm planning to use an SSD as the sole hard drive. 128gb would probably be enough, but I'd prefer 256gb. 128gb or 180gb or 256gb or something in that range. I don't want to run two hard drives because it will confuse my dad about where to save things or where things are located. They do have an external 500gb drive I gave them two years ago for backup/storage.

Planning to use this case: Cooler Master Elite 130... if I can find one in stock, but I can wait til they restock if not (assuming it's a good choice, but a small case of some kind is vital).

I prefer that the computer be QUIET.

Is it possible to get a wireless adapter? I'd prefer not sticking something out of the case (aesthetics), but that might be the only option. Or can you use one that plugs in via cable somehow? This is not a required part but it is a desired one.

At some point they may want to purchase Netflix and watch it on their TV -- I have no idea how this works or if there are any requirements on the computer-side, etc. I've never used Netflix.

I can buy from Amazon or Newegg, though I prefer to get all parts in one place (whichever it is). I've had good luck with Newegg, even if they have been jerks regarding this forum -- does Amazon do as well as Newegg on returns for computer parts?

My thoughts were running along these lines (I might be estimating prices poorly):
$150: i3-4340 (HD 4600 graphics vs 4400 in the 4130 -- or would I notice an improvement going to an i5? A cheaper i3? An AMD? Graphics are a minor concern, I'm more worried about the response doing other tasks and iirc Intel wins.)
$60: 8gb RAM
$50: CoolerMaster Elite 130
$75: MoBo
$200: SSD (prefer 180gb -- 256gb)
$40: PSU
$50: Other (wireless, DVD drive, whatever else)
------------
Total: $625 +tax/shipping

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Since this is for your parents, I strongly urge you try manufactured computers such as Dell. I only say this because Dell includes free tech support so you wont be bothered with it when something goes wrong with their build.

PS
I'm from the Mississippi Gulf Coast (Biloxi) myself.

I want to build one because the cost of getting a Dell with the exact stuff I want (SSD, Win7, small case) will probably be more for less quality. Also mom taught computer classes for 20+ years and can do the majority of basic maintenance herself, it's only with hardware problems that she has trouble. I might have been lucky, but the desktop I put together in 2011 hasn't had a single problem til this past week when one of the Hard Drives began to fail.

Yay for fellow Mississippians! I might move down to the coast next year myself.

Last edited:
$124 - Intel Core i3-4130 CPU
$77 - MSI H81I Intel H81 mITX Motherboard
$64 - Crucial Ballistix BLS8G3D1609ES2LX0 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM
$160 - Samsung 840 Evo Series 250GB SSD
$21 - Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD Burner
$45 - Corsair 430CX V2 430W PSU
$96 - Fractal Design Node 304 Case
----
Total: $587 plus tax and shipping.

Notes:
- Yes that case does cost nearly twice as much as the Coolermaster case you chose. However, the Node 304 was designed to be a quiet case. Silent PC Review liked the 304 very much:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1374-page1.html

- The Core i3 4330/4340 CPU is rarly worth it IMO considering that it's way too close in price to the Core i5 4430. For your parents' needs, the COre i3 4130 should be fine.
Is it possible to get a wireless adapter? I'd prefer not sticking something out of the case (aesthetics), but that might be the only option. Or can you use one that plugs in via cable somehow? This is not a required part but it is a desired one.
Generally internal wireless adapters or short wireless adapters have poor wireless reception compared to their external antenna brothers. See if any of these adapters work for you:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...iveSearchResult=True&Order=PRICE&Pagesize=100

Also, look in powerline networking. It's not a bad option for those who want to avoid wireless connections.
At some point they may want to purchase Netflix and watch it on their TV -- I have no idea how this works or if there are any requirements on the computer-side, etc. I've never used Netflix.
Any modern CPU that can run Windows 7 and above just fine will play back Netflix just fine.
I can buy from Amazon or Newegg, though I prefer to get all parts in one place (whichever it is). I've had good luck with Newegg, even if they have been jerks regarding this forum -- does Amazon do as well as Newegg on returns for computer parts?
Amazon has significantly better return policies and customer support than Newegg.

OP, I'm going to go a totally different way and make a suggestion that I'd urge you to consider. An Intel NUC. First of all...have a look at how small they are. I am testing one at work and can confirm it is quite quiet (low voltage CPU don't need much to keep cool). I think it might be the perfect thing for them...even if not exactly the least expensive.

$289.99 - Intel NUC D34010WYK (i3-4010U, HD4400)
$93.80 - 8GB (2 x 4GB DDR3L-1600 SODIMM)
$15.34 - Intel 7260 Wireless+Bluetooth (a/b/g/n Dual Band)
~$180 - Samsung EVO 250GB mSATA (not QUITE available yet...should be very soon and about $180)

Approx $580 total and you have a SUPER small slick setup. USB 3.0 all around (2 front, 2 back), HDMI, mini-Displayport, NIC, wireless dual band, bluetooth 4.0, and support for the latest haswell+Win 8 features like Smart Connect and Wireless Display.

NOTE: This comes WITH a VESA mount bracket so you could attach it right to the back of some monitors and have the system completely out of sight. If you want to spend more there is an i5 version of the NUC with the HD5000 graphics, but it honestly sounds like the i3 version would be fine.

Just an idea!

Thanks for the responses so far everyone!

@Dangman -- Where does the optical drive go on that case? I don't see a slot in front, so I'm tempted to keep with my case (it hasn't got to be completely silent, just not loud). Otherwise looks great, though I might get the modular version of that PSU (here).

@Silenus -- I actually love that idea, though I'm wary of the ULV processors. They might not be power users, but every so often... I just don't know enough about the U-series of processors to determine if it would matter. But the wireless option is appealing, as is the size. I guess I should look up some real world specs on that ULV processor and just find out. Thanks! I didn't know that NUC thing was... a thing.

@Dangman -- Where does the optical drive go on that case? I don't see a slot in front, so I'm tempted to keep with my case (it hasn't got to be completely silent, just not loud). Otherwise looks great, though I might get the modular version of that PSU (here).
There isn't any room for an optical drive. Just get an external DVD drive if they really need to use a DVD burner. Personally, I wouldn't bother with the modular version of that PSU. Just seems too good to be true considering that non-modular version costs the same. Whenever Corsair does exactly that, their modular versions tend to be of lower quality and/or performance than the non-modular versions. i.e the how the TX-M series were not as good as the non-modular TX series.

Back