Barts to be 6700 or 6800?

Valset

Supreme [H]ardness
Last edited:
does anybody have a credible source? Charlie references ATI but I haven't seen anything that I would trust yet

Does it really matter? What's in a name?

Take Will Shakespeare's advice and just ignore it. All will be resolved in a couple weeks.

Does it really matter? What's in a name?

Take Will Shakespeare's advice and just ignore it. All will be resolved in a couple weeks.

Well a lot of people were hoping that the card would sell for $200(unrealistically imo). With a name change to 6800 series that seems a lot less likely.

The 5xxx series was an anomaly with regards to Radeon family naming schemes of the past. Barts is positioned against GF104(GTX460) and since it is a much smaller chip than GF104, AMD has room to price it lower while still making a profit.

Sure they have room to lower the price but why would they? I'm sure they had room to lower the price on the 5870 and 5850 the whole year it was out. But only in the last 2-3 months have we seen the prices move slightly lower then their original launch prices. Honestly why would AMD fiddle with the name unless they wanted people to think of the 6770/6870 as more of a replacement to the 5870 rather then the 5770. The only reason I can think of is so they can charge more. I see the 6850 positioned to go against the gtx 460 1gb and launching for around $220-$230. The 6870 performance sounds like its more in line with the gtx 470 and I see a launch price of about $260-$280.

Well a lot of people were hoping that the card would sell for $200(unrealistically imo). With a name change to 6800 series that seems a lot less likely.

that was the rumor, that it was aimed at the 460GTX. I can only see a couple of reasons for doing so, one is that the performance put it too far out of the scope, or that the 5970 thing didn't go over as well as the X2 (not sure why the hell they did that) and decided to use the 5900 to denote the high end. all the same they have to have something to throw at the 200 dollar price point.

The 4850 started at $200 and quickly dropped in price. I don't see why we won't get performance significantly greater than a GTX 460 for $200.

The 4850 started at $200 and quickly dropped in price. I don't see why we won't get performance significantly greater than a GTX 460 for $200.

Sure you'll probably get it via rebates, weekend specials, price drops etc. But I doubt you will get it at launch. It doesn't hurt AMD to start the cards out at a higher price, lookd at sales data and then determine what they should do from there.

Back