Bank of America May Finally Embrace Firefox

HardOCP News

[H] News
Can it be? Bank of America is finally going to add Firefox as a supported browser? Wow, who knew the largest bank in the U.S. was so far behind the times?

A tipster for Networkworld.com pointed out recently that Bank of America's Web site did not list the Mozilla Foundation's Firefox as a "supported browser," even though Firefox now commands almost 20 percent of the browser market. The bank's site lists Microsoft's Internet Explorer, Apple's Safari, and Netscape as acceptable browsers.

same, BoA has been working with FireFox ever since I had FF, starting with FF2 and works fine with FF3

Maybe they're behind the times but who can blame them. Developing for all the browser quirks (mostly IE's deliberate nonstandard behavior) is a huge drain on time and money. Since IE controls the lion's share of the market they get supported over other browsers. Lame lame lame and after beating my head on web development for the last few days I'd like to see someone flogged...

How ironic BofA supports Safari which has more trouble than IE and yet BofA doesn't support Firefox which has had no trouble at all. :eek:

IE=Microsoft
IE+AOL=AOL+Microsoft
Safari=Apple
Netscape=AOL
Firefox=Open Source(No Commercial backing)

To Me, It sounds like BofA hasn't liked Open Source for some reason.

+1, been using Firefox and online banking with BofA with no issue for a couple years now.

How ironic BofA supports Safari which has more trouble than IE and yet BofA doesn't support Firefox which has had no trouble at all. :eek:

IE=Microsoft
IE+AOL=AOL+Microsoft
Safari=Apple
Netscape=AOL
Firefox=Open Source(No Commercial backing)

To Me, It sounds like BofA hasn't liked Open Source for some reason.

That wouldn't be a huge suprise either since so many open source products are incomplete, undocumented and unsupported (in a business sense.)

Same with my online college courses.

"This browser is incompatible" I just ignored it everytime and never once had an issue.

This basically sums up banks:

IE: Supported

Firefox : supported (If you're lucky)

Any other browser using Gecko (including Seamonky, Flock, Ephiphany, Camino and K-meleon): Not supported

Safari: supported (if you're lucky)
Any other browser using webkit (Epiphany, Midori): Not supported

Opera: Not supported

Konqueror (including other KHTML browsers): Not supported

Doesn't matter how long you've been using FF with BofA, it's just that they're now "supporting" it. I work for a Corporate Credit Union and we just barely started to support IE7 for our web applications (meaning we just moved off of IE6). Although Firefox seems to work fine as well, should any of our members call us to troubleshoot an issue with a problem, I must ask them to roll back to IE7 before we troubleshoot further.

We simply do not support any browser other than IE. FF support may come some day..

Same here, been using FF for BOA for 4+ years with very minimal issue.

Something else for BoA to charge us for - in our monthly fees.

I have no fees with BOA. There are plenty of banks out there with no fees if you are tired of BOA. They were light years ahead of other banks with their online interface and support.

The Federal Reserve is the largest bank in the United States. FYI. I was bored.

Been using FF with BofA for many years with no problems what so ever.
go figure ;)

It seems there are shenanigans afoot via idiosyncratic interpretations of "support."

supported =/= compatible.

When folks say something isn't supported, a lot of people seem to think this is synonymous with saying: "it won't work." But in fact, all this should mean is that the there will be no technical support provided to fix things should there be a problem. But it very well may work fine.

Back