Bandwith / ECC

At the risk of appearing bored ;)

You can buy a few things directly

Most of the stuff they want to actually talk to you, it seems. I can't imagine that they'd sell enough of this stuff to everyday people to warrant stocking it at wal-mart.

thats for some of their high end stuff, nothing on that list is anywhere close to what I posted :(

& I wonder why they are so keen to talk to ppl??

You really don't need 16 lanes for video cards. You'll notice no difference with 8 lanes and little with 4.

mmm.. that would depend on GPU & purpose.. a NV card + gaming - x8, sure no noticable diff.. but x4? a NV card will choke. An ATi card however - ATi cards fair much better in reduced PCIE bandwidth.

That is, as long as the motherboard supports a graphics card in that pci-e slot both electrically and physically.

I was hoping to be able to put the graphics cards in my current H8DCE in the two x4 lane slots, but SuperMicro says no, Not Possible.

u can cut out the end of the slot(s)! then it will fit! :) its been done *many times before! :)
& electrically? it'll work - dont listen to SM on that - trust me ;)

thats for some of their high end stuff, nothing on that list is anywhere close to what I posted :(

& I wonder why they are so keen to talk to ppl??

mmm.. that would depend on GPU & purpose.. a NV card + gaming - x8, sure no noticable diff.. but x4? a NV card will choke. An ATi card however - ATi cards fair much better in reduced PCIE bandwidth.

u can cut out the end of the slot(s)! then it will fit! :) its been done *many times before! :)
& electrically? it'll work - dont listen to SM on that - trust me ;)

I think because they are still 'young' and not every card works in the extenders... They want to be able to take care of their niche market.

I'm running all AMD cards here, so thats of limited bother.

And no, SM says it won't work, and it does NOT work in the H8DCE. I've opened up both x4 slots, and neither will let the machine boot up with a graphics card in them. I get no display, nothing. If you have some newer workaround, Please let me know. I'd love to be able to push my heat boxes to the edges of the board.

Back