Baldur's Gate and Badur's Gate II Enhanced Edition officially just announced

0bzeek

n00b
Incase you don't visit the Baldur's Gate website with any frequency:
Last week the website suddenly and inexplicably was altered to display nothing but a soundtrack clip from the series with the epic Baldurs Gate logo. Yesterday it was again altered to display a 24 hr count down timer.

Today, at 3pm we found out why:

Announcing Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition™
March 15, 2012

Atari, Wizards of the Coast, and Overhaul Games are pleased to announce work has begun on the Enhanced Edition of Baldur’s Gate and Baldur’s Gate II.

Since its initial release in 1998, Baldur’s Gate has entertained millions of fans around the globe, and has received countless awards. This classic saga of mystery, intrigue, and adventure has set the standard for Dungeons & Dragons® computer roleplaying games ever since.

Re-forged by Overhaul Games

Overhaul Games has assembled a talented team of artists, programmers and designers to enhance this timeless classic. To remain true to the spirit of the game, the team includes original Baldur’s Gate developers.

Relive the most epic story ever told

Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition™ and Baldur’s Gate II: Enhanced Edition™ will feature a re-forged version of the Infinity Engine with a variety of modern improvements.

The greatest roleplaying game of all time, enhanced

For all information regarding Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition™ visit www.baldursgate.com, for press inquiries contact [email protected].

Last edited:
Great game (s).

I fail to see how a 'refresh' will encourage a large scale repurchase for many users.

How will the new graphics change game play? Will they alter the game play for console users (i.e. PC users screwed)?

Looks like a dash for the cash with no significant contribution to creative endeavor. Similar to what Hollywood has been doing for the past six years.

Well worth saying that original contributors will be on the team. It should just be an HD remake of the same game. They're not talking about content change, but they haven't told us much so we'll just have to see. If they stick to the original game and just remake it, it'll be amazing. If they bastardize it for console users... Well, conceptually I know it's possible, but the game really isn't designed for consoles and would be TERRIBLE. It'd be butchered like Dragon Age (IMO) was buterched because of it's "console compliant interface". I agree. That stuff is awefule.

Hope it doesn't happen.

Cool, but $15-20 is all I'm willing to pay for it, though. If they try to pull $40 or even $60 for this... then forget about it.

own it....but never got around to playing it.

I'll likely buy the remake and give it a shot. I'm sure most of the younger crowed can't get past the dated graphics.

Never finished either cause they were just so MASSIVE! Look forward to giving it another go in HD. :cool:

Hopefully this will introduce a new generation of gamers to some of the greatest RPG's in history.

This is great news!!! I will gladly buy both again even if the only difference is updated graphics engine!!! And please release PST/ IWD/ IWD2/ Fallout in HD :)

Last edited:
Excellent. I've tried replaying the games in recent years, but the aged interfaces of them always gets to me. With these updates, I shall once more enjoy some of the best RPGs ever made :)

Imagine if we could get today's gamers to play them (since the first thing they do is go "EWWW BAD GRAPHICS) and remember what a good game should be like. With any luck, they'll start demanding this good of a game from publishers.

I fail to see how a 'refresh' will encourage a large scale repurchase for many users.
You'd be surprised. Look how many people are foaming at the mouth for the Star Trek: TNG remaster!

A lot of good games should do this.

Imagine if we could get today's gamers to play them (since the first thing they do is go "EWWW BAD GRAPHICS) and remember what a good game should be like. With any luck, they'll start demanding this good of a game from publishers.

Only problem is that most of these games require reading and careful planing, not so popular in today's games.

Sure, announced just after I just dropped a massive <$6 on the complete D&D collection.

I definitely look forward to interface improvements, especially for co-op.

Well I for one am truly excited about it. However I want to play the old version right now. I have the disc and everything but I can't play it because I lost my CD Key. I contacted them and they basically just told me "we don't have the key gens anymore" which really only means "as a service rep I haven't been supplied with the ablility to get the key gen". So now I either need to find someone to beg for theirs or track down key gens for BGII and Throne of Bhaal, which may be difficult 14 years later. :(

YESSSSSSSSSS..... but also please, take the best community mods, like Tasha or some other great NPC/quests, and reforge them into new game.

ANd where is Icewind Dale saga, you damn devs, eh? :p Don't forget about it too. Might be not as classy and more action oriented then BG, but which game offered a chance to swear loyalty to Bane? :p

Go for the disc Boo, go for the disc ;)

YESSSSSSSSSS..... but also please, take the best community mods, like Tasha or some other great NPC/quests, and reforge them into new game.

ANd where is Icewind Dale saga, you damn devs, eh? :p Don't forget about it too. Might be not as classy and more action oriented then BG, but which game offered a chance to swear loyalty to Bane? :p

Go for the disc Boo, go for the disc ;)

There is this:

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=nwn2modulesenglish.detail&id=346

Icewind Dale 2 modded into Neverwinter Nights 2.

I wish I could say I enjoyed the Never Winter games. I really couldn't stand them tbh :( it was a big let down for me.

I wish I could say I enjoyed the Never Winter games. I really couldn't stand them tbh :( it was a big let down for me.

Yep, very appalling graphics, textures, artwork. Crappy D&D Rule Set, poor story, poor voice acting, poor almost everything.

I wonder what rule set they are gonna use? I'm gonna buy this for sure regardless of the price point, so long as they dont butcher/bastardize in any way.

I wonder what rule set they are gonna use? I'm gonna buy this for sure regardless of the price point, so long as they dont butcher/bastardize in any way.

I feel the same way. I'm gonna buy it no matter what. Playing through this epic bar-setting-for-the-genre game is something I'll be salivating over for however long it takes them to release it.

I'm really hoping it doesn't take a couple years. This is the kind of thing that you'd like to see left unannounced until it was in the realm of "nearly finished" rather than bursting your bubble with a slew of delays.

Cool, but $15-20 is all I'm willing to pay for it, though. If they try to pull $40 or even $60 for this... then forget about it.
The MDK2 remake that they did only cost $15 new. I can't imagine this costing much more. The guy is doing it basically because he loves the series, not to make huge profit.

I feel the same way. I'm gonna buy it no matter what. Playing through this epic bar-setting-for-the-genre game is something I'll be salivating over for however long it takes them to release it.

This. If I'm willing to pay full price for Dragon Age 2, I'll pay triple that for Baldur's Gate :cool:

Oh gosh... Dragon Age II. I couldn't get through 5 minutes of it. I nearly vomited in my mouth and died willing.

Yeah, it was pretty bad :p However, I'm a tough customer. I managed to make it through all of Far Cry 2 (came free with my GTX 260), so Dragon Age 2 didn't seem so bad.

Great game (s).

How will the new graphics change game play? Will they alter the game play for console users (i.e. PC users screwed)?

Looks like a dash for the cash with no significant contribution to creative endeavor. Similar to what Hollywood has been doing for the past six years.

What? No. The game is extremely re-playable. I played it and have a copy of the game, though not from the initial release. I will definitely buy it if they improve the graphics, add a nice, lengthy manual, and add some content.

This is not a refresh of ANY game. This is Baldur's Gate.

The MDK2 remake that they did only cost $15 new. I can't imagine this costing much more. The guy is doing it basically because he loves the series, not to make huge profit.
That's good to know. Thanks for the tip.

One of the few games I am going to buy pretty much no matter what.

So will we be able to play it at widescreen resolutions without using the mod?

So will we be able to play it at widescreen resolutions without using the mod?
The UI is being overhauled with modern advancements.

Trent also tweeted in regards to why not release BG3. He said that this project is part of a larger picture. I think he wants to drum up some interest for this type of game to get funding to do a proper sequel. All I can say is this is a pre-order purchase for me once it hits. I can't wait! I want them to know my money is good for their taking.

I think I've played BG 1 and 2 more than any other game in my life combined, including WoW. I remember loading up gamespy, or heatnet, and I had a bud that I played online with as well. Good times.

Oh gosh... Dragon Age II. I couldn't get through 5 minutes of it. I nearly vomited in my mouth and died willing.

Invested a few hours in Dragon Age 1. Got robbed out of a few hours of my life :(

Kind of fell for the hype they started in 2004 when Dragon Age was first announced.

Back