• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Bad Molex connector or something more?

cmdrdredd

Weaksauce
Joined
Nov 5, 2006
Messages
127
I just had an Ultra Fan controller fail, it actually went up in smoke and caused the CPU fan to stop spinning. After burning up the shielding on some of the cables connected to the fans that is. So I checked each wire and plug running from each fan that was connected to it. Both fine. Removed the fan controller and threw it out. Plugged each fan into a single Molex connector directly from the PSU. Now, here is the strange part. The system gets power and tries to start but won't spin up. As if the PSU is gone. I unplug my CPU fan and bam, it starts up. I shut everything down figuring I have a bad fan. I test the fan alone on a different Molex plug and the entire system boots. So here's the question. Can a single molex plug go bad or short? It was the one hooked up to the fan controller.

What to make of this? System works, and is stable and all voltages read ok but that single molex plug does not allow me to do anything if I have something plugged into it.

My main question is, can a single molex plug go out and be non-functional while everything else be ok?
 
That molex plug might of been linked to a different current limited rail. The fan pushed it over the top, and it cut off?
 
It is very possible. However, the system had been working for a while that way. Although I did have an un-disgnosed random and recurring restart issue that was not linked to software. I believe about the time I hooked up the Fan controller was when it began so what you mentioned could be very true.

I have been monitoring the voltages under load and thus far everything is nominal. Am I safe to assume it's ok? It's been at full load for 3.5 hours of Prime 95 Blended.
 
Back
Top