bad idea to use a small form factor case for my main computer?

Forealz

Limp Gawd
I'm somewhat sick of my large immobile desktop tower and am considering slimming down the form factor of my desktop. Specifically, I'm thinking about switching to this case.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811112265

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811112300

Something along those lines anyway. I'd be moving a 2500k into it, along with probably 3 or so platter hard drives and 1 ssd. My 4870 is too hot I'm assuming, so I'd also look at a new video card (need an upgrade anyway), such as a 560 or 7850. From the case description the video card should be able to fit. Also, if need be I'd get a modular power supply. Assuming everything fits, anyone see any problems using this as a main box? I'm really attracted to having a smaller case that I can carry around that still has the power to play a game or edit a video.

Could be just me atm (or newegg) but those links aren't working. I get a "bad request" page.

There is no problem going with micro ATX or mini ITX for your main system. Hell, I'm using a mini ITX setup for my primary system. However, you need to keep in mind the following:

-- Depending on the interior dimensions of the case you're considering -- the Lian Li PCQ08B (what was the other case?) -- you may not have enough room for certain power supplies and video cards. If you wish to overclock the processor, certain CPU coolers won't fit in the limited space you have to work with. Perform a lot a research beforehand so you can get the right parts the first time around.

-- Cable management is even more important in SFF systems in general (and mini ITX cases in particular). Poor cable management can lead to increased temperatures as bundled-up cables can impede the flow of air in and out of the case.

-- With mini ITX, you can easily overspend on a board with similar features to a less-expensive ATX board. If you have a limited budget to work with, determine which motherboard features you need and go for a board with only those features. Not everyone needs (or can afford) something along the lines of the Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe.

-- I strongly recommend looking at a current-gen mid-range video card from either Nvidia (GTX 660 Ti) or ATI (HD 7870 or HD 7950). The newer cards are more power efficient than previous generations.

So, what does the complete build look like? Do you really want to go mini ITX or would you be fine with a micro ATX setup?

In theory either would be fine, but if the mini-ITX case is significantly smaller I might be tempted to go that route.

I'll need to buy (in order of importance, I might be able to get away without the parts lower on the list)
The case, of course
Vid card
MB
Module power supply

I have everything else ready, this is more about making the current system lose weight than buying a new system.

Help us out here and tell us what your current system looks like. Also:

- How much do you want to spend on this "conversion"?

- Do you plan on overclocking? If so, how much?

My current case is the coolermaster sniper.

Now, I absolutely love that thing. But, I did leave some details out that I didn't think necessary. Right now, I have 2 computers, one for work and one for home. That case is my home computer. This new rig would be a frankenstein of the two, in a sense. My work computer has a micro atx board with the 2500k in a normal mid tower with 16GB.

I was planning on taking the components from both to make a new rig then sell all my extra parts. So the MB that I might use if small enough is in my work computer, a micro ATX. At home, in that case I have a standard MB with an i750.

Part of the reason I want to do this is to consolidate my work and office computer. I work about 2 blocks from my house and if I go to a lan party or host one I can just grab it quickly.

I'm finding that I play games less and less by myself and am partly looking to clear up space in my home while having a more mobile rig.

I have most of the components already, such as Ram, CPU and hard drives.

I'm estimating it would cost $600 for the case, MB, vid card and power supply. $650 because I just checked my microATX board and the memory is 4x4GB rather than 2x8GB like I thought.

Vid card- I was thinking anywhere between $160-$250, ranging from 1GB 7850s to 660 TI. I have not made up my mind yet, but I will probably need one because my current 4870 would heat up Venus.

Case: the ones I'm looking at and linked are between $100-150.

Powersupply: Probably the last necessary addition. I have a Corsair non modular 850w and while beefy it probably won't fit. The Corsair 650w modular is around $110 on newegg.

Overclocking, probably not. I'm normally a fan of doing it and have yet to test my 2500k's limits, but I'd gladly keep the system stock to fit into a snugger form factor.

Here's a mITX setup to check out:

$126 - Gigabyte GA-H77N-WIFI Intel H77 mITX motherboard
$66 - Corsair CMV16GX3M2A1333C9 2 x 8GB DDR3 1333 RAM
$230 - eVGA SuperClocked 02G-P4-2662-KR GeForce GTX 660 2GB PCI-E Video Card
$90 - SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W Modular PSU
$120 - Lian Li PC-Q08B mITX Case
-----
Total: $632 shipped

I just want to point out the possibility of keeping it mATX but still going tiny, with awesome airflow, and strong possibility of OCing: Silverstone SG09. The case is only about $100-$130 depending on taxes/shipping. http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=345

I have my 2500K at 5.022GHz easy. OC to your heart's content. This case easily fits a large CPU cooler, any graphics card, AND any PSU. I absolutely love this case because of awesome dust filter placement, sweet cable management, and AMAZING airflow around CPU AND GPU. The exterior is more rugged than sleek like the Lian Li cases, but it really isn't that bad in person.

Just had to show you how tiny this awesome case is...

Last edited:
Back