Backup server

Freak1

Limp Gawd
Hi.

Just moved to new hardware for my storage server running blue iris and plex. The old hardware and disks will be my new backup and vmware server.

My storageserver is running windows10 with drivepool and snapraid. ill rather not spend $ on another license for drivepool if there is an alternative that's free for the backup server.

I'm also looking for recommendations on how to do the backup, it will mainly be selected folders but would also like to backup the plex/blueiris system.

How much data are we talking? Since your storage server is not running a server OS, an inexpensive subscription to Backblaze (or similar service) might be in order if the volume of data is compatible with any internet caps you might have.

And just to clarify, your old storage server hardware is intended to both be your backup repository and VMware server - are you planning on running ESXi, or are you referring to VMware Workstation running within a client OS like Windows?

If you're looking for free, setup something like freenas or just straight ZFS on linux would be my recommendation.
Then you can use a sync program of your choosing to do the backup, I'm using dirsync pro personally: https://www.dirsyncpro.org/

If you don’t want to go the esxi / Windows / ZFS route and want to stay Windows only, you can get yourself a really cheap Raid6 card like an Areca 1680 or and LSI and go that route.

You can use snapraid without drivepool although that may require some manual work if your software does not support multiple folders for your data. In that case I second the cheap raid card recommendation.

Back