Back to folding!

mrmylanman

[H]ard|Gawd
I had an i7 920 which I overclocked to around 4GHz and used it to accumulate 1 million points in what seems like no time at all, however it got way to hot, so a while ago I sold my folding box and bought a cheaper low power PC and was happy with it, except lately I got the itch to fold...

So a couple days ago I finally got enough money to buy me a Xeon E3-1230 and a MSI Z68 motherboard and I'm now back at it! I'm shocked at how cool my room stays now compared to the i7. Folding, it's the same temp as the my room was with the i7 idling.

Amazing.

Time to get my second (hopefully more) million!

I'll be taking a break this weekend and maybe later on because I'm running Ubuntu (which I dislike) because getting Arch Linux to work on EFI was tricky. But in 7 hours I got 17% of a work unit done (and I'm doing bigadv) so it seems like around 42 hours per work unit.

Yeah I'm very impressed with it. Moreover, impressed with the way Linux handles the FAH client these days (I remember back in the day it didn't do a very good job of multitasking while FAH was running).

Now I don't even notice it, which I guess is how it should work anyway.

I need to get more RAM though. I only have 4GB and it's using every last bit of it.

Back