Back into the Fold

russnuck

Hard DC'er of the Month January 2023
Well things have settled down, refinance is going through, I have the house mostly completed (work still sucks), so I am going to build a new gaming / folding rig.

I have been out of the folding game for so long, but this is what I am thinking.

Sadly I will have to keep it to just one system...

Core i7 870 (OC'ed)
1 x GTX460 (2x later)
8-16 GB Memory
the rest is incidental

Should be online sometime in early November

nice..

work may suck but at least ya got a job :D I'm kinda getting sick of not having a job but oh well still have plenty of money left for another 3 months of rent..

One system helping humanity is better than no system helping humanity.

Thanks for the contribution, once you get it up and running. And welcome back to the fold. :D

16GB is a crap ton of ram lol
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

No, even with -bigadv 4gb is plenty on 8 threads.

I would think having 16 might actually hurt your OC

It will be a multipurpose with most of it cycle time going to folding. Starting with 8GB and if needs require to 16 ;)

Good to have you, and yeah, stick with 8GB for now, it'll definitely help with the OC. :)

welcome back for sure! but aside from workstation type work there is no need for 8 gigs of ram. accually a waste. money would be better spend on a 2x2 high end ram like corsair 7-8-7 2000mhz

GPU client up and running, OC comes next week then advanced SMP client =)

In December comes the 2nd 460GTX

OC'ed last night, just running through torture tests now, only made it to 3.5GHz :(

Not too bad. Better to have a working, stable OC than a broken CPU that you pushed too [H]ard....

Agreed, although I rarely hear about cpus dying anymore. They must be more resilient these days

Agreed, although I rarely hear about cpus dying anymore. They must be more resilient these days

a lot of it is also from the fact that intel and AMD both burn in the processors now unlike the old days when you had to spend a few days burning ing the processor before you could even think about overclocking it.. also we are getting more information like max voltages for various components and the cpu its self.. back in the socket 754 and older days it was a pure guessing game..

So far with SMP and GPU the system is holding steady at 17-21k ppd depending on the WU. So far 12 hours straight.

OK so the system is stable, got my passkey setup for bigadv as soon as I hit 10 smp WU. But on the gtx 460 I am only seeing ~9kppd, am I doing something wrong?

What are you using to see 9k PPD? Try HFM.net (overclockers.com FTW) as that includes any bonuses.

:D

OK so the system is stable, got my passkey setup for bigadv as soon as I hit 10 smp WU. But on the gtx 460 I am only seeing ~9kppd, am I doing something wrong?
What's your client setup and clock frequency?

Using GPU3 on the 460 running at 715MHz, just running the default settings. With HFM.Net still shows ~9200 PPD.

Using GPU3 on the 460 running at 715MHz, just running the default settings. With HFM.Net still shows ~9200 PPD.
My suggestion is to OC the card if you haven't tried that yet. Even a mild OC will probably top 10k PPD. Increase the frequency and let us know how it goes.

ah, well out of the stock settings I am happy with the ~9200 PPD, I was under the impression that it would have been higher :eek:

Finally got my first -bigadv WU, and the SMP client is sitting at ~21k PPD @ 3.5GHz on the core i7.

depends on the WU. I have been getting that with one of the WU's I have been working on. Forgot the number....I think it was a 6701 unit...or somethin...could be totally off...

I need to upgrade to an i7 soon.... :( these i5's suck withouth hyperthreading...

Is it normal to hit such low ppd with WU2684

~2200 PPD, down from 20kppd with a different WU

Yes, the amount of difference varies depending on the machine you're running and its performance threshold. The higher the performance, the bigger the difference. The P2684 has the lowest production of all the -bigadv WUs and you won't see lower production unless you receive a standard SMP WU.

Looking at it now, I don't think I can even hit the deadline with the i7 @ 3.6GHz

You are not hitting the preferred deadline with bonus with that 2684. That is a tough WU. You should be able to make the preferred deadline witha WU2686

Also which work unit are you getting for the GPU3.

For my 460 they would go from 9Kppd to 14.5ppd depending on WU.

Looking at it now, I don't think I can even hit the deadline with the i7 @ 3.6GHz
When you posted the ~2200PPD figure above, was that the difference or the actual production?? If it is the current client production, you won't make the bonus deadline. You will need to OC your processor higher if possible.

I think I remember someone mentioning that the minimum frequency for an i7 to meet the bonus deadline with the P2684 is somewhere in the neighborhood of 3.8GHz. If that's the case you will need to find at least another 200MHz somewhere...

Back