Awesome Street Fighter Video

name

Limp Gawd
Check out this link - watch Ken:

http://www.thatvideosite.com/view/446.html

Anybody seen this? It's pretty old, but I thought it was pretty impressive. If the video is a little slow to buffer, wait for it - well worth it if you are in to SF.

If you don't understand why this is so impressive, scroll down this page for BillLeeLee's first and second posts, which explain it really well.

EDIT: Apparantly, that first link is pretty slow. Stream or D_load "Evolution 2K4 Finals 2" from this link for the same video:

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/streetfighteriiithirdstrike/media.html

Thanks for the link, mjukis.

Oldie, but a goodie. I believe there were even a few people who use these forums were at the event.

Pretty impressive is to say the least. The chipp damage would have killed Daigo (the Ken player) if he had just blocked the super art. He HAD to do that to win, i'ts one of the greatest fights in SF3 just becouse of that move. SF3: Third Strike is an amazing game and proof that 2D fighting is still as viable as it was when SF2 was out.

Spent a while trying to get it to load. When did you guys manage to see it (i.e. time of day)?

Are there any other places where this is hosted?

I'd also like to add that each of those parries (the flashes) have an input window of like 3-10 frames (I'm no expert on third strike). Which translates to roughly at max 1/6th of a second to less than 1/12th of a second. It's ridiciously hard to even practise, and to pull it of in the fighting games finals is unfathomable to most of us. Daigo was/is much like Fatality were when he played Q3 1vs1.

Wow, that is real skill there. The Street Fighter 3 parry system gives you just single frames to parry right before an attack connects. Incredibly risky since it requires you to tap the control towards your opponent (if you miss the parry, you get punished). I can only parry like half of the attacks aimed at me, which helps me beat most everyone I've played. However, that was just something else. :eek:

inotocracy said:
Oldie, but a goodie. I believe there were even a few people who use these forums were at the event.

Anybody actually there for it?

Sorry I don't get what made it so special cept for the fact that he almost lost. I don't play the game much so there must be something I'm missing here, anyone explain. Thank you

when you do a special in SF, you can block it the regular way by holding back, but you will still recieve some damage

this guy did parrys which are had as hell to do and he did a few of them and then came back and did his special back

Movieesa said:
Sorry I don't get what made it so special cept for the fact that he almost lost. I don't play the game much so there must be something I'm missing here, anyone explain. Thank you

Okay, the guy (Daigo) was losing, by a hefty margin too. Then, with just a sliver of health, his opponent, busted out a super art (that's what Chun-Li, the female character did, when she dashed in and did those kicks). Now, the losing character then parried every single one of her kicks.

Parrying a super art under the circumstances (near death, a missed parry would mean death for him, loud crowd, the pressure) is amazing. Also, when you parry, the game gives you just a few frames right before an attack connects to parry an attack. The game runs at 60 fps, and that translates to maybe 1/20 of a second to parry each of her kicks. He did it 15 times and even jumped into the air before the 15th parry to parry her kick in the air!

Sure, many will be like "I could have done that," but nevertheless, it is still an amazing feat.

O-P-M said:
wasnt he just holding block?

If he had blocked, he'd have died (the super art does block damage). Also, in SF3, you can't air block. A parry requires you to press toward your enemy right at the point of contact. So if you miss the parry, you're screwed.

O-P-M said:
wasnt he just holding block?

Yeah, I updated the original post with a reference to BillLeeLee's explanations on page 1 of this thread, so that everyone could appreciate how difficult it is to parry an attack like that so perfectly, and under such pressure. I hope people pay attention....

Back