avoid "Cablebox"

capper5016

Weaksauce
I don't trade stuff very often, but when I do, its on this forum as most everyone here is good people. I don't bother with "heat" as I don't trade often, but I always leave good feedback for good people....
A couple of days ago, i was one of several people who took an interest in some stuff posted by a member known as "cablebox", while others crapped on his thread for not shipping first, I ans some others were willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on things...OOOPPPSSS. After agreeing to a deal, "cablebox" insisted on me shipping first and insisted on recieving a tracking number that day, after haggling we both agreed to ship that day and give each other the tracking information as soon as we got it. I provided him my tracking information for the $600 worth of stuff i sent him USPS tracking # ED80 6368 356U S, which was delivered Saturday Feb 26th at 10:26 AM. I did not recieve my tracking information Friday as promised, Saturday when i called his home, he could not find the tracking information, and denied recieving my package. I have tried contacting him through AOL, and every time his screen namer is logged in, they say they are someone else using his computer, and he won't answer his phone.
I just want to make sure that this guy doesn't screw anyone else over....avoid him at all costs. I am worried as I have seen his name come up on several other deal across the Hard Forums.... please do not deal with this guy until this situation is resolved..
EDIT: I have since noticed that all of his threads are now marked "DEAD"...which is another fairly suspicious development. I will post if or how this is finally resolved.

Try calling from a different phone, cell phone, etc. If he is underage, then talk to his parents. If you have his address and such, consider calling the police if you can't make further contact.

FYI, just because you have a bad deal with him doesn't mean you go and crap on the rest of the threads he has posted in or started. You may find yourself on the outside looking in if you know what I mean.

II wouldn't consider it thread crapping...I'd consider it trying to help others avoid losing $600 worth of stuff. It would be different if I couldn't support the fact, or if he'd even acknowledge the issue.
Trust me, I don't like doing this, and dealt with this guy in good faith (Sending him his stuff Express, providing tracking numbers, trying repeatedly to contact him, etc)....thread crapping is totally different, letting others know the status of a questionable trader they are engaging in is helping people avoiding being taken. I also said to avoid him "until this situation is resolved, and that i would post updates as to what happened".
.EDIT:
Update: Finally got in contact with "cablebox", says he did ship item, but that he lost the tracking number, and since he didn't have anything to tell me, he didn't bother returning emails or phone calls. I will update or delete this thread tomorrow when/if i recieve the card

capper5016 said:
II wouldn't consider it thread crapping...

You posted warnings in every unlocked thread he posted in, even one where he was asking for help with a game that had nothing to do with trading or selling something.

Granted you may have a problem with him currently, but that still doesn't give you the "right" to post warnings in every thread. That is why this area was created, to resolve such situations without resorting to unnecessary multiple posts in other threads and to provide a consolidated area in which to check for bad traders.

How did you make contact with him? Did he say how he shipped the item? I find it a bit suspicious he "lost" the tracking number. Sounds more like he is just saying something to "appease" you.

I have already talked with him about this on the phone and aim, we have worked it out.

I edited my post. I was finally able to get in touch with him.
As to the other post here. It was simply posts to warn people of a situation before it affected them the same way it affected me. "cablebox just needs to work on his commo skill a bit". I also said that I would update this as the situation resolved itself. I know for a fact that people don't just check in this forum when dealing with the "for sale/ trade" forum, so i wanted to help others. thread crapping is when you aren't in a deal with someone, and are just posting malicious stuff, I'm a person, in a deal with someone, trying to protect others...I'd be appreciative if some one had done the same for me. As I also said, I made contact with him here, and the stuff was supposed to be shipped on Friday.
If you have a problem, contact me directly at my email or at Legit Reviews.

Thanks for the update. I have traded with Capper, and I can vouch that he is honest, and is acting in good faith. Glad it looks like this is worked out. Keep us posted if not.

welll...USPS has come and gone, and no video card. Was supposed to be here by noon, wasn't. then didn't show up in the regular mail.

I am in class let me get your phone number ill call you when I get out!

I don't want this to go bad, it was definatly shipped, when I get out of here I will call the ups and try and get my tracking number if I give them all my info, it should have been there already, I am trying to keep all lines of comunication open!

terry said:
Sorry man, hope everything works out for you.

Terry, werent u labled a bad trader not to long ago, or was that all worked out?

uh...no Terry here. i think you have this confused with the other soap opera going on....
I'm trying to give Cablebox every opportunity here...i don't want to be a bad guy....it just seems that nothing has gone right.

I guess thats what I get for giving the kid a chance.....nothing he has said has worked out. No communication. Twice I've been told he'd call me back within 30 minutes, then didn't, then wouldn't answer the phone.

I agree, I think enough time has been given here. Acting in good faith means following through with what you say. And how can you not have a tracking #. I have shipped many items over many years and always retain my tracking #.
Cablebox, this is a final opportunity for you to follow through and communicate with Capper and get this resolved now. Capper, email me and let me know if he responds or not.

In the latest episode of "Where's my video card".....
I got a hold of "cablebox" on IM. He said he needed a few minutes to call UPS to try to get the tracking number, then told me he was on hold for a few minutes...then he told me he needed to restart and would be right back...then didn't come back...LOL, this is getting comical. What I don't understand is that I have his phone number and address...
I have gotten a ton of excuses, but no card...which sucks. I'm out $40 for shipping plus my stuff.

My condolences Capper - I remember from when you were active on the MaximumPC forums (you and I almost did a RAM trade awhile back). Hate to see this happen to a fellow member.

Before your deal was finalized with cablebox, I also chatted with him on AIM regarding his card. There were a few concerns and based on how this has gone, I would recommend starting the recovery process sooner rather than later. Assuming you used a service such as FedEx or UPS (I don't recall as I'm posting this if you mentioned how you shipped earlier in the thread), you may be able to have them reroute and/or return your package. That would cut your losses to $40 in shipping as opposed to the value of the goods.

Getting a lost tracking number is not difficult to do. Given the circumstances laid out in this thread, it's my opinion that continuing this trade on faith is not worth the risk.

EDIT: Looking back at your first post, it appears USPS was used and it was already delivered. $600 worth of goods is no small matter, I'd start look at ways to recoup your losses should it be apparent you'll need to.

I agree also. Capper, I would notify trollhunters.com, and also report this to the mods here if you have not already. Also, as we talked about, I will help you also. I just did a huge trade with Capper, and it is really a shame. He is a very honest guy.

I was having overclocking freezing, I restarted and had a curropt windows file, I installed as quaickly as possible, im back on aim now...

Capper, I had a thought - did he also supposedly ship via USPS? Since you have his name and address information, you could call and see if the shipping courier he claims to have used has any record of this. Again, I'm not familiar with USPS's policy on tracked packages as I normally use FedEx and on occasion UPS, but it's worth a phone call.

thanks guys....unbelievable how people take their time and effort to help others....and i was most concerned about him swindling someone else.
I was under the impression that USPS was used, but after conversing with him today it was said to be UPS.
I've tried to be sympathetic and helpful, but am getting nowhere going that way. I will take the steps recommended

Overall I'm at a loss for approximately $620, including the $40 shipping his stuff Express Mail.
Just tried calling his home...no answer...and his IM keeps saying "sleeeeeep".
For all his "concern" I don't seem to get any phone calls or any correspondence from him. I always have to contact him, and when I get him...he'll get right back to me...which he never does
Tonight I left him a message I was going to let law enforcement deal with him. I'll also post to trollhunter.com, but what else should I do

wow that sucks. give his name and address to every internet trader site you can and spread the word so we make sure this guy doesn't trade again.

EDIT: places like Anandtech and other forums. This some bullshit. Get your shit together cablebox. Its really not worth it to have the cops get involved. $620? Damn. Come on.

I hope it's allowed to say this here....any buyer can pay any seller, and any seller can bill any buyer, using PayPal.

Yes, there are fees involved. But I had the mixed unfortune / fortune to have used Paypal to get my money back from a seller on a "well known Internet site" who kept telling me my item was shipped, but refused tracking number requests, bullshitted me every time I called, and never got my toy to me.

PayPal has an unbelievable gestapo service....they hounded and threatened the guy, while having returned my money to me in a "holding" account until he ponied up.

When he finally did the amount showed up in my account, and was available for immediate withdrawal.

Just a suggestion for one way to insure this kind of scam doesn't happen too often.

If you want a good story on "PayPal" come over to Legit Reviews (I'm not trying to steal members, but I posted an extensive issue with Pay Pal on our site and don't want to link it or retype it). Anyway, was out $550 through PayPal, paid for an Intel P4 EE edition when they first came out...and got an empty box in the mail...had the mailman and two neighbors as a witness to opening the box, got signed statements and everything. Pay Pal would do nothing because the guy could provide a tracking number, even took it as far as the FBI, and they said they are logging 10K ripoffs on the net every month.
That personended up on trollhunters and lost their EBay membership (stole money from 6 others in a one week period)....but I never got a cent back.

Anyway, called this dimwit again....it is actually his grandparents place, and talked to his 78 yr old grandmother, who is very nice, she was pretty upset and swears if I give it a day or two it will all be resolved....How do i argue with a super nice grandmother??!!!

I have to say I'm blown away by how supportive you guys are....now I understand why some people were flaming him on this very forum....and I was saying "Give him a chance"

capper5016 said:
Pay Pal would do nothing because the guy could provide a tracking number

I'll have to check that out. I had a similar experience when a vendor didn't send a Halloween mask I ordered. After filing a dispute, he sent me an empty envelope with tracking and he won the dispute. Paypal's reason was that they don't get involved with the satisfaction of goods received, just on goods that are not received. :rolleyes:

Anyway, glad you got ahold of an elder. Keep us updated (and come hang out at MaxPC again - been awhile since I seen you there). ;)

capper5016 said:
If you want a good story on "PayPal" come over to Legit Reviews (I'm not trying to steal members, but I posted an extensive issue with Pay Pal on our site and don't want to link it or retype it). Anyway, was out $550 through PayPal, paid for an Intel P4 EE edition when they first came out...and got an empty box in the mail...had the mailman and two neighbors as a witness to opening the box, got signed statements and everything. Pay Pal would do nothing because the guy could provide a tracking number, even took it as far as the FBI, and they said they are logging 10K ripoffs on the net every month.
That personended up on trollhunters and lost their EBay membership (stole money from 6 others in a one week period)....but I never got a cent back.

Anyway, called this dimwit again....it is actually his grandparents place, and talked to his 78 yr old grandmother, who is very nice, she was pretty upset and swears if I give it a day or two it will all be resolved....How do i argue with a super nice grandmother??!!!

Wow, I never even considered receiving an empty box as a possiblity...damn there are a lot of walking waste of protein out there. You brought it to the FBI? THAT is moving the issue up, excellent! Shame they're too busy chasing the big guys to bother with us commoners.

Understand the sweet grandmother thing, no way I could even be rude to a sweet older lady. Just hope this jerk isn't sitting sipping a beer laughing "he bought the grandma thing!"

Okay, I think I've pretty much seen whats going on here. Guys whatever help you all can provide who have experience here would be appreciated.. My one and only time dealing with this wasn't successful, though that person got theirs...I didn't recover my money.
I do have family in his area and am not above sending them over to ssay hello.
I did talk to his Grandmother though, she was very cool, and really disappointed in him.......but oncce is an accident...twice with the exact same story is a pattern.....Now I'm seeing that he has given out fake heatware names....etc.
Help us get this guy

You need to tell her ass, that if he doesn't come up with the money you will get law enforcement involved. I am sure nice old granny doesn't wanna pay out of her pocket, which seems will happen. Dude that sucks about the powerbook. But i have to say that was terrible judgement. If i had a laptop worth that much, all the heatware in the world couldn't make me send that out first. Screw that. If he paid half the amount then maybe but otherwise, fuck no.

thats coming tomorrow morning. I don't think she should be responsible... but maybe the image of her Grandson being ass raped by Bubba in the county lockup will make her get on him about solving this.
Notice how all his threads here are "dead", he closed them all out so no one could complain. Also notice the similarities in the stories, he told multiple people the same thing. i talked to AJ (notebook guy) tonight, real nice kid....stuff like this just makes me scratch my head...why would you purposely steal from people who are willing to work with you?
I also notice we have found multiple IDs on HARD, and multiple heatware, he has stopped responding to all emails and IMs...won't answer the phone, and won't post here.....
GUILTY

so tonight, right before I sign off to go to bed.... I get an IM from "cablebox"...."I most certainly am going to solve this"...then before i can say anything, he signs off....after ignoring my IMs for over two hours.
This guy is a classic. From now on its only established traders, as long as they ship first.

TROLL :eek:

/thread :p

this guy is obviously a troll..so can we get a ban on him (or at least his second account) and label him a bad trader?

ppl like him disgust me

ive never been trolled..but ive had one guy, his heatware is anaphora, who emailed me (no PMS sadly..that was my fault for not telling him to PM me, so i dont have his [H] name) saying he would take the ram i was selling for $20 less than what i wanted (i wanted to sell 2 out of the 3 sticks i had and i told him a fair price (already about $30 less than the newegg price) for all 3 sticks so i could buy another 512mb stick for myself.... he tells me he wants another $20 off or no deal....then i say no and he leaves me bad heat for "selling" him a dead 9800pro...

please..ive never even SEEN a 9800pro in real life, let alone sell one :( :rolleyes:

my heats 4b5eN+EE BTW

This guy's a total troll. I've spoken to him on AIM and boy he knows how to troll people alright.

My buddy was sitting next to me on another computer and we both talked to cablebox on AIM. He told us both that we were first in line and that the other folks are ready to send out the money up front so if we wanted our spots held we'd have to pay up or its going to the next man.

He then would say that he needed the money asap so he can get a sound system and said the money from the other guys would reach him in 3 days so he didnt want to wait for his goods to get shipped to me then and only then would I ship the funds to him. I told him that I would pay overnight shipping to me and as soon as I get it i'll send the money overnight to him, he didn't want that either. Troll?

I believe so

Back