• AVG Internet Security 8

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite 8

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Neither

Votes: 13 76.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well, comparing a firewall to an AV is apples to oranges at its simplest, but I assume you mean the paid suites?

Zonealarm is a decent firewall with a sub-par AV, AVG 8 is a sub par yet still popular AV with a sub-par firewall.

Why not go with something like Avira free and Comodo's free internet security (their AV turned off)?

Neither, have seen way too many issues with both. Recommend Avira or Avast if you are looking for free, Nod32 Kaspersky 09 or Norton 09 if you want to pay ;)

Zonealarm is a decent firewall with a sub-par AV, AVG 8 is a sub par yet still popular AV with a sub-par firewall.

Why not go with something like Avira free and Comodo's free internet security

I like ZA firewall. I don't know any other that's better to be honest. It tells me everything, from what ports are opening to what apps need access or trying to get access to in plain english. Plus PC Magazine gave it a good rating.

And I like AVG's Anti-Spyware, but I can't get it stand-alone anymore since version 8. It's either one or the other when it comes to Suites because of the issue with having multiple AV/Firewalls installed.

As far as other AV/Firewall software goes. I dunno how to determine which would be the best. I can't seem to find a site dedicated to this kind of stuff that doesn't have a fishy looking URL in google or a site with information that is up to date (Lots dated back in 2004!).

Neither.

NAT Router + Avira Free + Windows Firewall.

or

NAT Router + NOD32 + Windows Firewall.

AntiVir for antivirus, best of the free out there..and better than most pay for ones too

Comodo or PC Tool for software firewall if you insist on one. I prefer to be behind a NAT router myself. Zone Alarm causes too many problems.

Zone Alarm causes too many problems.

What kind of problems?

The only problems I have experienced were slow shutdowns(which have been resolved) and crashing of games when game mode isn't enabled. And that's more of the game issue where alt+tab in the game does nothing when an ZA alert pops up. Reason for crash is because ZA won't let the game continue unless you uhhm... uhh.. set the settings in the alert window.

//[T.0.P]//;1033455749 said:
What kind of problems?.
[

I've run across quite a few PCs where it screwed up the TCP stack/winsock files. Either right when someone installed it, or after using it for a while. On both healthy new PCs, and older ones.

Quite a few other people who do IT for a living have noticed this and said it too.

Back