AV for Server 2003 Enterprise?

colinstu

2[H]4U
I have a second computer with Windows 2003 Server Enterprise R2, what kind of Anti-virus/spyware/trojan should I put on it that works with server operating systems?

www.av-comparatives.org

Avira or NOD32. (Note: Lots of people will come and say NOD32 FTMFW and while it is good, Avira is every bit as good. If they're not willing to learn that, they're no better than the idiot that's going to suggest Symantec.)

NOD32 FTMFW :D

But no, I've never tried out Avira, but have nothing but good things to say about NOD32 so far, been using it at a small business for a few weeks now.

Personaly I recomend Eset's NOD or Kaspersky. Mind you that you need the server version of them or for that matter pretty much any av. You can't just pickup the standard desktop version.

What version of NOD32?

Is the "Smart Security" version says it does viruses, worms, spyware, while the AV version says it does viruses, trojans and other forms of malware...

Which one of those does everything?

The "Business Edition" versions seem to be the ones that support server, but they are much more expensive...

Personaly I recomend Eset's NOD or Kaspersky. Mind you that you need the server version of them or for that matter pretty much any av. You can't just pickup the standard desktop version.

This isn't true with NOD32. They don't differentiate between client and server versions.

Just for the record, I am actually pushing out NOD32 at my work. I convinced my boss that SAV sucks. I am absolutely not saying that Avira is BETTER than it, but for personal uses, Avira is free.

Also, I tried to contact Avira about purchasing their product and they never got back to me. They're a German company with, AFAIK, no US branch.

So you don't need the "Business Edition" for it to work on the server?

But still, what's better? "ESET® Smart Security" or "ESET NOD32® Antivirus 3.0"

This isn't true with NOD32. They don't differentiate between client and server versions.

Yea they do. At least the home version does. I went to load it on a server the other day where we were called in to do a clean up(very long story about some guys who managed to cluster fuck a cluster fuck) as a temp solution and it wouldn't take. I didn't feel like going through the std request for the business edition so I loaded kaspersky's trial as I know I could get it very fast.

The old versions of eset didn't give a shit. I think 2.7 didn't care but 3 does.

When I tried to load the standard NOD on sbs2k3 Thursday it came up with OS not supported. It use to not care.

Yea they do. At least the home version does. I went to load it on a server the other day where we were called in to do a clean up(very long story about some guys who managed to cluster fuck a cluster fuck) as a temp solution and it wouldn't take. I didn't feel like going through the std request for the business edition so I loaded kaspersky's trial as I know I could get it very fast.

The old versions of eset didn't give a shit. I think 2.7 didn't care but 3 does.

Ahh, I haven't upgraded all of my 2.7 installs yet.

Ahh, I haven't upgraded all of my 2.7 installs yet.

Yea now you need the server licensed version. For most people running server this is no big deal as you would be getting the networked version anyway. For home users running server it sucks.

esetpi8.jpg

Searching around, yes, it appears that it only came in an AV version, and 2.7 worked on anything.

Where can I buy a fresh 2.7 copy? (Besides, ebay).

Technically with NOD32 you always needed a "license" for the server version. While the actual installer for 2.7 was the same for both server and workstations..the licensing was different (naturally more expensive for the server version..just like almost any other software package). So if single license...a more expensive server version. When you bought the "Enterprise Edition..now called Business bundle"....you're more flexible...can mix match anything for however many "seats" you purchased (starts at 5x nodes).

I'd vote Kaspersky, NOD32, TrendMicro.

business edition is actually cheaper per seat... but yea, you've got to buy 5 minimum

as a reseller, 5-10 seats is 26.39 each
11-23 is 22.39 each

pretty reasonable... usually sell a couple years at a time, a bit cheaper that way

EDIT: nm... just realized 4 user bundle of home edition runs 76.79, which is 19.20 each...

business edition is actually cheaper per seat... but yea, you've got to buy 5 minimum

as a reseller, 5-10 seats is 26.39 each
11-23 is 22.39 each

pretty reasonable... usually sell a couple years at a time, a bit cheaper that way

EDIT: nm... just realized 4 user bundle of home edition runs 76.79, which is 19.20 each...

. Dang you pay a lot! Not a gold partner yet eh? :p

. Dang you pay a lot! Not a gold partner yet eh? :p

no :(

just started selling... i probably havn't done 500 dollars yet... fixing to ramp up here though... i have a couple of my bigger clients (15-20 seats) that have a symantec corp license from the last consultant that is probably overdue...

i'm a small fry, it'll take me a while to get to be a partner... i'm selling through nha now

i think thats the pricing i get, maybe i get a little cheaper but i go through mysmartquotue, i may start going through YeOlde if he sends me some info =)

NOD32 all the way, wherever i work i see people moaning at symantec and macaffee, coz they are just full of problems!.

I have tried out avira, its a very good product as well. Pick whichever anti virus is more convenient for you (e.g price or performance etc...) As long as you stay away from symantec you should be fine!

Back