AV-Comparatives May 2010 "Retrospective/Proactive" released

AVG, which I used to trust a bit, seems to not be doing to well anymore, compared to others in that test. Although, I always stay up to date. I switched to MSE a while back, and it's been working excellent. Glad to see that it is doing great on these tests, too!

AVG, which I used to trust a bit, seems to not be doing to well anymore, compared to others in that test.

Many of us here have been saying that for a few years now, I noticed the decline of AVG back around version 7.
For the past few years the only decent free AV products were Avast and Antivir.
Deal with the occasional update hiccups of AntiVir..and deal with the ad banner...
Or deal with the subscription renewal of Avast..which they recently dropped..but now they're in bed with Google..and now they're doing ads internally for iYogi...even in the paid version...
Luckily MSE came out last fall..
And another decent free AV is pctools.

Meh, all AV dont compete with the spyware.

ESET still great =)

Now I feel pretty good about switching to MSE when my subscription to ESET NOD32 expired.

This is part two of the February test(same product versions and signatures). MSE did well in part two, not so well in part one. Avast did well in part one and not so well in part two. Interesting. Avast has had one or two program updates since then, it's up to 5.0.545. I assume MSE might have as well. Things might have improved for both since then. Don't know why they didn't do a new test for June with all up to date stuff.

As for Avast and Google, who cares. When you install Avast it'll ask you if you want to install Chrome, just select no. From what i've read, Avast is included in some language versions of Google Pack. As for the ads when you open Avast and view current status it'll display an inline ad, not a popup. The only ad I have ever seen displayed was for Avast Internet Security.

This is part two of the February test(same product versions and signatures). MSE did well in part two, not so well in part one. Avast did well in part one and not so well in part two. Interesting. Avast has had one or two program updates since then, it's up to 5.0.545. I assume MSE might have as well. Things might have improved for both since then. Don't know why they didn't do a new test for June with all up to date stuff.

Basically, yes..they let the lab sit from back in those tests..and let the definitions age. The details are in the top of the PDF.

MSE still did well in the Feb tests...it missed getting A+ by 0.7%...which is a very small margin. It fell behind Avast by 1.0% "one".
Avast during this test however..lol...lost to MSE by 30.0%..."thirty".

Yeah Avast has to beef up the heuristics no doubt.

PCTools isn't bad, it didn't fair well in this test. I do like their Firewall Plus product.

Back