Austin Police Look to Crack Down on Impersonating Commenters

Terry Olaes

I Used to be the [H] News Guy
People that like to impersonate public officials and troll article comment sections might want to look for another way to get their jollies, especially if other locations start following the lead of Austin, Texas’ police department. I expect that this will set off a firestorm of conflicting opinion but what options does a public official have if they’re being falsely impersonated for slanderous reasons?

[Austin Police Chief Art Acevedo] said investigators might seek search warrants or subpoenas from judges to learn the identities of the authors — he thinks some could be department employees — and possibly sue them for libel or file charges if investigators think a crime was committed.

I don't see anything wrong with this,they have every right to take action against impersonators.We've seen how one unwise comment can sink a politician's career,they sure don't need someone else making them in their name.

[Austin Police Chief Art Acevedo] said investigators might seek search warrants or subpoenas from judges to learn the identities of the authors — he thinks some could be department employees — and possibly sue them for libel or file charges if investigators think a crime was committed.

I'd like to see this the other way around: Get warrants or subpoenas from judges if investigators think a crime was committed. Possibly file charges or sue the authors for libel, some of whom he thinks could be department employees.

Does it really make a difference if the words come from a department employee instead of a stranger? I'd rather see them sue if the words were harmful, not depending on the person wrote it.

hahhahahhhahahhahhahhhahhhahahha.

Seriously define harmful. Makes you wonder what these cops did to piss somebody off. oh wait.. theyre cops.

If a blogger comment can ruin your career this you were a sinking ship to begin with. If someone impersonates you, which what boils down to going online and registering a forum name as you or in some cases doing the anonymous commenting but using you as a handle? IP me. if Im coming from austin it aint me. If one officer is going online and impersonating another from the same office then call your IT person. Ill pass more big brother crap thank you. I'd rather have the trolls.

these types of actions are going to create a new industry of anonymity software for the web that spoofs ips, uses proxies,etc to hide the whereabouts of the author

If "public officials" get impersonated, it is a such a serious crime that any laws should be removed to prevent this important threat (namely grumpy employees).

If members of the public get impersonated, it is said to be "identity theft" and their fault.

If "public officials" get impersonated, it is a such a serious crime that any laws should be removed to prevent this important threat (namely grumpy employees).

If members of the public get impersonated, it is said to be "identity theft" and their fault.

Public official = Create a law
Public = Create a ticket.

hahhahahhhahahhahhahhhahhhahahha.

Seriously define harmful. Makes you wonder what these cops did to piss somebody off. oh wait.. theyre cops.

If a blogger comment can ruin your career this you were a sinking ship to begin with. If someone impersonates you, which what boils down to going online and registering a forum name as you or in some cases doing the anonymous commenting but using you as a handle? IP me. if Im coming from austin it aint me. If one officer is going online and impersonating another from the same office then call your IT person. Ill pass more big brother crap thank you. I'd rather have the trolls.

Wait till you hear those loverly stories of Texas cops...

Wait till you hear those loverly stories of Texas cops...

These guys?

reno911-lennon-interview-1.jpg

aint so bad

So the Austin PD is going to expend resources on this on the CHANCE that a crime was committed ? Here's a thought - based on a complaint from a public official, establish that a crime WAS committed, and THEN expend resources, hopefully commensurate with the level of violation involved (read: none)

Back