• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Aunt and Uncle's PC part 2

Snump

Weaksauce
Joined
Feb 23, 2005
Messages
118
Well, they rejected that $350 PC I quoted them. They want it below $300. Yikes... I have the software speced out so don't worry about that (Yes I'm keeping it legal). So the price of the software isn't included in that, I just subtracted the software price fromt he price they gave me and thats what I ended up with. So for just plain online crap and email, what kind of PC do you thik I can build? Running Windows XP Home.
 
I'm still waiting on a $70 Tiger Direct rebate (9 months later). I don't know if I'd trust them with $155 of my money for 8-10 weeks.

Didn't like a $350 computer? Yikes...that is bad :)

There's got to be a way to get a Sempron in there. A Socket A duron just isn't going to get the job done :(
 
Hahaha, brings a whole new meaning to the term "proprietary" The system would have to be so old that you need custom parts!
 
ok try this - you might not want to be "stuck" doing the tech support for them. I doubt they want to game - if they do, well the price will go up...
Dell E-value code 03681 - D50404
uh hmm - yeah I know its a Dell - but well...
$298 plus shipping and taxes - scratch that free ground shipping...
2.4ghz Celeron
XP Home
256mb
40gb hard drive
48x cdrom (free upgrade to 16x dvdrom or 48x cdrw)
17 inch monitor (save $31 by getting a refurbished or $50 for no monitor)
keyboard & mouse
Word Perfect -word processing software only
no floppy
90 day warranty ( you might want to upgrade this: I'd get the longer warranty and tech support)
free 720 Inkjet color printer (you will need a usb cable)
Just a thought...
 
HvyMtl said:
ok try this - you might not want to be "stuck" doing the tech support for them. I doubt they want to game - if they do, well the price will go up...
Dell E-value code 03681 - D50404
uh hmm - yeah I know its a Dell - but well...
$298 plus shipping and taxes - scratch that free ground shipping...
2.4ghz Celeron
XP Home
256mb
40gb hard drive
48x cdrom (free upgrade to 16x dvdrom or 48x cdrw)
17 inch monitor (save $31 by getting a refurbished or $50 for no monitor)
keyboard & mouse
Word Perfect -word processing software only
no floppy
90 day warranty ( you might want to upgrade this: I'd get the longer warranty and tech support)
free 720 Inkjet color printer (you will need a usb cable)
Just a thought...

Well, I don't mind doing tech support for them... There are some other politics involved here. Within three years I'll be buying a house and I'll need some h elp building a deck... My uncle being the master builder that he is - I'll have to get him to owe me one.

Trust me, I know what I'm doing.
 
kirbyrj said:
I'm still waiting on a $70 Tiger Direct rebate (9 months later). I don't know if I'd trust them with $155 of my money for 8-10 weeks.

Didn't like a $350 computer? Yikes...that is bad :)

There's got to be a way to get a Sempron in there. A Socket A duron just isn't going to get the job done :(


Well, I'm going to try to convince them the $350 one is better. My dad gave me a tip on dealing with my uncle - he's trying to lowball me and be a quasi-cheapskate. I'll say $350, he'll say $275, then my aunt will mediate and we'll end up at $332.89.
 
That Dell deal is hard to beat since it comes with an OS. I don't like Dell anymore than the next guy, but I can't build a "legitimate" computer (one with a legitimate WinXP ;) ) for $299 no matter how many corners I cut.
 
kirbyrj said:
That Dell deal is hard to beat since it comes with an OS. I don't like Dell anymore than the next guy, but I can't build a "legitimate" computer (one with a legitimate WinXP ;) ) for $299 no matter how many corners I cut.


I forgot to mention - I have the OS and software speced otu already. My boss will order it for me at work sinc ehe gets some special rate. I deducted that price from the price I gave to everyone here.
 
I think that it is just a waste of money to guild a basic computer for cheap. Trust me, I had a business fail because I tried to market to the inexpensive PC side. The only place you can save money is on the higher mid range and enthusiast market.

If someone wants a $300 computer with all the limitations then...
Dude...get the Dell.
 
Back
Top