Audiophile Soundcard ?!?

tillyoubreakit

Limp Gawd
Hello fellow [H] members.

I am looking for a "Audiophile" soundcard. I dont need any kind of surround at all. I have only Headphones on the computer. I am willing to spend up to 200$ for a soundcard. Any Ideas ?

Thanks

Florian

PS: And maybe a soundcard which is not too criticle regarding PCI Bus speeds. I cant lock the PCI-Bus on the XEON board.

Hm. You could check the Computer Audio forum...

But off the top of my head.... Turtle Beach Santa Cruz for music and lesser budgets (older card) or M-Audio Revolution 7.1 right now :)

You may want to take some money away from the budget and invest in a headphone amp and good headphones (if you don't have already).

GTXP has a great headphone output, but they stopped selling them at all the retailers that I know of.

Revo 7.1 would be a great choice, but I can't comment on it's ability to tolerate overclocked PCI bus speeds.

Out of curiosity, what kind of headphones are you using? And are you going to listen to music or play games?

BHD

Well first thanks to all of you for the input.

I bought Sennheiser HD600 headphones. I listen to Music mostly.

Norah Jones and Neil Young mostyl.

I dont need any gadgets, since I run a 2 Channel Magnetostatic Systema and a dedicated THX Ultra HT.

All I care about is "The Purity of Music" :)

<--I know I am an Audio NUT

Originally posted by aug1516
Revo 7.1 would be a great choice, but I can't comment on it's ability to tolerate overclocked PCI bus speeds.

I'm running a Revo 7.1 in my system listed in my sig. the XP2000+ (1600 MHz) is OC'd to 1813Mhz, I forget what bus speed that is... but it's ok.

Originally posted by tillyoubreakit
Well first thanks to all of you for the input.

I bought Sennheiser HD600 headphones. I listen to Music mostly.

Norah Jones and Neil Young mostyl.

I dont need any gadgets, since I run a 2 Channel Magnetostatic Systema and a dedicated THX Ultra HT.

All I care about is "The Purity of Music" :)

<--I know I am an Audio NUT

Then you should know that you should really get a dedicated head phone amp. I also have a home theater downstairs. I tell you that the SQ from my headphones(Beyerdynamic DT 770) plugged into my HT receiver was worse than when I connected it to my headphone amp and to my computer.

Or is the Magnetostatic Systema a headphone amp?

EDIT: And for the record, the HD 600 is not easily driven without a dedicated amp. The impedence is 300 ohms.

No the Magnetostatic System is a pair of Magnepan .5 QR Special Edition. I use a Pathos Classic one for the Maggies. A headphone AMP would be quite a good solution.

Ill look into an Italian AMP.

Any tips...

Originally posted by tillyoubreakit
No the Magnetostatic System is a pair of Magnepan .5 QR Special Edition. I use a Pathos Classic one for the Maggies. A headphone AMP would be quite a good solution.

Ill look into an Italian AMP.

Any tips...

Italian - made? No clue about Italian brands. There are a couple of brands you can consider though: Meier-audio.de Corda line, Audiotechnica, Gilmore, Grado(R1 is good I hear), or a custom one built by one of [H]'s best: X86dude.

EDIT: Gilmore = headamp.com

EDIT 2: depends on your budget. Sounds like you've got some cash to spend though...so go with a nice Grado R1 or something. Gilmore's are quite good too. Perhaps a tube amp?

General opinion is that the Audigy 2 ZS is comparable to the Revo 7.1. It also offers 7.1 support, and can often be found for less than $100.

I'm doing some vocal recording and am planning on getting an external usb sound "card".

The M-Audio Duo comes highly reccomended as a Mic Preamp if this is the kind of thing you are interested in.

Back