Audioengine A5+ arrived! Me no likey! Now what??

Shad0w99

n00b
Hi there,

I had a made a thread about buying the best speakers that I could get for $500 A lot of people suggested Audioengine A5+ with a sub like BIC F12. I have been pretty much testing the A5+ non stop for a few days now. I thought I could get the sub down the road. I have dedicated a ton of time trying out all sorts of speaker placements!

I really wanted to like these speakers but I can't get over the screeching highs! My soundcard is Asus Xonar Essence STX. Mostly tested flac files. At first I had ear fatigue but that was fixed after proper placement and increasing the volume. These speakers are NOT good for low volume listening. When the volume is low, sound is unbalanced. You have to really turn it up to fix it and by that time it's too loud for your ears! You could get away with it by reducing the volume directly in windows. The highs really don't sound natural. screeching in your ear and not very pleasant. These speakers excel with voices! My goodness! Some of the voices make you melt! and then you hear a snare drum or something and you cover your ears!! You are supposed to give them 30 - 50 hours burn in time. I'm getting close to there. Things are a little better than the first time I turned it on but it hasn't improved that much. The mids don't sound natural either. A lot of the songs comes out kinda muddy which is really disappointing. They can get really loud! - loudest speakers I have ever heard! Sound doesn't distort when you turn it up. I don't think these are the speakers for me. The way things are - I'm probably going to return them. Compared to generic speakers - I think you are getting excellent sound for the money but I don't think these are audiophile speakers.

Now what? So - now what? People tell me switch to headphones and get audiophile audio but I don't want to! I prefer speakers! They tell me I need to increase my budget. - by how much? What's the next step from A5+? Please share your experiences!

Thank you

Last edited:
What city are you in? If you want my opinion, get two good bookshelf speakers and a sub or two tower speakers. Check local audiogon listings by zip or craigslist.

Really, the tower speakers will get you the best sound overall. Only issue is, and I have it too, is that they really take space to setup properly. My setup basically makes my room 1/2 its actual size.

Sound is fantastic though.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=NHTSZ20

NHT superzeros are excellent for desktop setups btw.

Last edited:
What city are you in? If you want my opinion, get two good bookshelf speakers and a sub or two tower speakers. Check local audiogon listings by zip or craigslist.

Really, the tower speakers will get you the best sound overall. Only issue is, and I have it too, is that they really take space to setup properly. My setup basically makes my room 1/2 its actual size.

Sound is fantastic though.

Vancouver, WA. Thanks for mentioning audiogon listings! Good site. What tower speakers are you using? Any suggestions?

Thank you

Hopefully you bought them directly from the Audioengine website, you should have a 30 day trial period on them.

It's possible there is an issue with your amp, judging by the unbalanced sound at low levels. If you wanted to, you could call them and ask. Personally, I really enjoyed my audition with them, but that's subjective and likely in a much different room.

Otherwise, you could go passive with a pair of Energy RC-10 or Hsu HB-1 and a stereo receiver/integrated.

I have some Onix Rocket 550MKIIs. Also known as AV123 but that company went under b/c the guy was a mega douche who stole money from charities.

However, the speakers are amazing and if you see any model on audiogon, they are excellent.

Feel free to ask about any model you see that catches your eye. I have heard a ton of the entry level speakers.

Hopefully you bought them directly from the Audioengine website, you should have a 30 day trial period on them.

It's possible there is an issue with your amp, judging by the unbalanced sound at low levels. If you wanted to, you could call them and ask. Personally, I really enjoyed my audition with them, but that's subjective and likely in a much different room.

Otherwise, you could go passive with a pair of Energy RC-10 or Hsu HB-1 and a stereo receiver/integrated.
I second the bookshelves recommended here. Both have different sound signatures but are great nonetheless.

I thought vocals opened up so well with the RC-10s in songs that I am currently saving up for a pair and a receiver or possibly an external dac/amp combo down the road.

HSU are pretty insane for what they cost. I had a pair and was amazed by the imaging. Energy are great too. Both superior to the A5s at least.

HSU has a 30day trial I believe. For low level listening, I can heartily recommend them and their customer service. They do not lose much detail at low volume. You will need a decent amp though. Nothing crazy, but with some power.

HSU are pretty insane for what they cost. I had a pair and was amazed by the imaging. Energy are great too. Both superior to the A5s at least.

HSU has a 30day trial I believe. For low level listening, I can heartily recommend them and their customer service. They do not lose much detail at low volume. You will need a decent amp though. Nothing crazy, but with some power.

Surprisingly laid back for a horn tweeter, too. Nothing harsh there.

Thanks for the all reply guys! Looks like passive speakers are the way to go! A few people have suggested Energy RC10 + Harman Kardon HK 3490 Receiver. They say I can even get rid of the sound card by going through the optical out through the motherboard. What do you guys think about this combo? Energy RC10 are $299 vanns. HSU would be $260.

HSU or RC10 with HK 3490?

Thank you

Between the two, it's going to come down to personal preference. They are both great for the price.

I like the wide soundtage and imaging from the Hsu, they are also a lot less bright than how you described the A5+. The Energy will be more forward for movies, also less bright than how you describer the A5+.

Aesthetically, the Hsu looks better to me. They are also larger, so keep that in mind. Quite a bit of how much you enjoy is going to have to do with your specific listening room, too.

Further reading...
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1355638

Thanks for the all reply guys! Looks like passive speakers are the way to go! A few people have suggested Energy RC10 + Harman Kardon HK 3490 Receiver. They say I can even get rid of the sound card by going through the optical out through the motherboard. What do you guys think about this combo? Energy RC10 are $299 vanns. HSU would be $260.

HSU or RC10 with HK 3490?

Thank you

I have not heard the HSU speakers, but have heard the RC10s. The Energy refrence line I would call warm and laid back. In fact most of all Energies are like this. But the RC10s do sound fantastic! I heard them through a Onkyo 3008 btw.

Depends on how much you want to spend. I had the Audioengine and upgraded to Harmon/Kardon GLA-55's. Like a night and day difference. Although the GLA-55's are like 3 times the price.

i have been thinking about getting the A5's now this make me think twice. I usualy dont listen at high volume much.

HSU is my choice over the energy rc10. I just like the presentation better. There is more atmospheric imaging with them. A more "you are there" feel to them. Plus their subs kick major ass.

i have been thinking about getting the A5's now this make me think twice. I usualy dont listen at high volume much.

To me, it sounded like there was an issue with the set he got. I never encountered the issues mentioned with my audition.

Sounds to me like he is going with the RC-10 solution, which is also a good choice.

HSU is my choice over the energy rc10. I just like the presentation better. There is more atmospheric imaging with them. A more "you are there" feel to them. Plus their subs kick major ass.

Well the HSU bookshelves are much easier to drive than the Energies. But yes the Energies have a laid back, warm sound. Neutral imo. While I have not heard the HSU, considering it a horn design, it will probably be more in your face ala Klipsch compared to the energies.

Well the HSU bookshelves are much easier to drive than the Energies. But yes the Energies have a laid back, warm sound. Neutral imo. While I have not heard the HSU, considering it a horn design, it will probably be more in your face ala Klipsch compared to the energies.

This is not the case. I wouldn't go making assumptions like that. The HB-1's sound nothing like a Klipsch speaker, they are equally as laid back as the RC-10. There is a difference between a horn loaded tweeter and a dome tweeter in a horn config. Read the AVS link I posted earlier for more info.

Also warm does not equal neutral in the least bit.

I had a pair of A5's myself (not +) for a little over a year and I really like them. I do not have the screeching highs issue that you have and I am supplying the signal from an onboard audio card, so we know that signal is not the problem here. It may be preference. I also had the sub for 15 days before I returned it. I really liked it actually but at that time, I could not justify owning a $300 subwoofer. When I have the means, I am going to buy it again.

A set of monitors with room controls oughtta do the trick. like KRK's rokit series. There's a HF level control on the back that you can set to -2db.

If you're like me and think the KRKs are ugly as hell you could go for some mackies instead. Similar performance. They also have the a 2db HF cut switch on the back.

Also, if you go for the 8" versions you might not need a sub. The mackies go down to 40hz minus a couple dbs.

Its so weird how everyone on hardforum recommends bookshelf speakers when theyve never done listening tests between nearfield monitors and bookshelf monitors. My KRKs rp6g2 sounded better than these:
http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/2-way-speaker-kits/eton-s7-symphony-7-2-way-kit-pair-complete/ hooked up to an emotiva xpa-3

in terms of imaging and bass, but not clarity (thats what a $130 tweeter will do for the highs.... but my krks cost me $300 so i dont mind)

both were on my desk.. i listened to each for a day. The krks hands down beat them in terms of imaging and bass. Theyre a helluva lot cheaper too.

Of course in far field the etons would probably do better. This isnt a "omg my KRKs are so amazing for the price!!! no reason to buy anything better" post, but im pointing out that stuff not designed for nearfield will get crushed by nearfield speakers! My home theater mains are AV123 LS-6... these speakers are designed to be listened to 12 feet away or more due to the way line arrays behave.. id have to be a dumbass to listen to them nearfield.

Yea i agree, nearfiled monitors are awesome. I went to chek out some stores last night, and i demo quite i few models.

Yamaha HS50, Yamaha HS80, Wharfedale Diamond 10.1, Wharfdale 9.1, KRK5 G2, M-audio Bx5a, M-audio CX5a, berhinger B2031...i tested them mostly with rock, techno, classic, and acoustic music.

In terms of quallity this is how i would rate them,

1. Adam A3x (bought them, amazing monitors!!)
2. Yamaha HS80 (close to Adam)
3. Yamaha HS50(not good as HS80 but also kinda close to A3x)
4.Wharfedale Diamond 10.1.
5. KRK Rokit G2 5
6. M-audio CX5a
7. Berhinger B2031
8. M-audio BX5a

I also recommend the RC-10s. Excellent speakers, especially at $300 :)

psyside, besides being in last place, how close did you find the bx5as to be to the others? What made them worse?

The discontinued bx5a's are still selling for $150 a pair online which makes them less than half the cost of anything else you listed for the more value conscious.

Oh if thats the case then grab em, i found them less detaield then the others, maybe because they where compared to mighty Adam? and Yamaha models....and also other mostly higher grade brands/models.

No but really for 150 pair, buy them ASAP! they are still good, really especially for that price that's inasane man! they where 210 euros where i live so you get the idea...

Last edited:
Its so weird how everyone on hardforum recommends bookshelf speakers when theyve never done listening tests between nearfield monitors and bookshelf monitors. My KRKs rp6g2 sounded better than these:
http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/2-way-speaker-kits/eton-s7-symphony-7-2-way-kit-pair-complete/ hooked up to an emotiva xpa-3

in terms of imaging and bass, but not clarity (thats what a $130 tweeter will do for the highs.... but my krks cost me $300 so i dont mind)

both were on my desk.. i listened to each for a day. The krks hands down beat them in terms of imaging and bass. Theyre a helluva lot cheaper too.

Of course in far field the etons would probably do better. This isnt a "omg my KRKs are so amazing for the price!!! no reason to buy anything better" post, but im pointing out that stuff not designed for nearfield will get crushed by nearfield speakers! My home theater mains are AV123 LS-6... these speakers are designed to be listened to 12 feet away or more due to the way line arrays behave.. id have to be a dumbass to listen to them nearfield.

Good point. Don't use them on you desk. I often forget about that. I love my main speakers but they take up most of my room b/c I have t set them 8' away and that far apart in a 12X13 room lol. Tight.

When I used the HSU speakers for instance. I built a special mount for them so that they were at least 6' away from me.

Are there others here who are happy with the A5+ ? My old Klipsch Pro Media Ultra 5.1 died awhile back and from what I hear the A5+ are some of the best computer-focused speakers around. I'm sure the HSU line is great but when a single subwoofer costs four figures....yeah, not sure I'm that committed.

Seeing that a couple of people are happy with the A5+s, it seems that maybe there was an issue with the OP's set? or maybe its just listening preference. Anyway, is it still true that the A5+s are a solid buy ? I was thinking of making a 5.1 eventually out of Audioengine gear with A5+ (bamboo) front, a set of P4 (bamboo) for the rears, a S8 for the sub (doesn't seem to come in matching bamboo?).... but they don't seem to offer a "flat-aligned" center speaker. Then again, perhaps one isn't meant to build a system like this? I've been out of the sound-game for quite some time and I was thinking of getting the Corsair 2.1 if it was expandable to 5.1, which I am to understand is totally blown away by the Audioengine gear. If possible, these would all be connected to my Asus Xonar Xense sound card; hopefully I won't need an external amp etc...

I think they sound great, but a 5.1 setup using these is much more of a hassle. They are designed for 2.0-2.1. You would want matching LCR for movies. Also, for the price of a S8, you could get a Hsu STF-2 or Outlaw LFM-1 compact. Both are easily better subs.

Audioengine has a 30 day in home trial if you wanted to check it out for a 2 channel setup.

Are there others here who are happy with the A5+ ? My old Klipsch Pro Media Ultra 5.1 died awhile back and from what I hear the A5+ are some of the best computer-focused speakers around. I'm sure the HSU line is great but when a single subwoofer costs four figures....yeah, not sure I'm that committed.

Seeing that a couple of people are happy with the A5+s, it seems that maybe there was an issue with the OP's set? or maybe its just listening preference. Anyway, is it still true that the A5+s are a solid buy ? I was thinking of making a 5.1 eventually out of Audioengine gear with A5+ (bamboo) front, a set of P4 (bamboo) for the rears, a S8 for the sub (doesn't seem to come in matching bamboo?).... but they don't seem to offer a "flat-aligned" center speaker. Then again, perhaps one isn't meant to build a system like this? I've been out of the sound-game for quite some time and I was thinking of getting the Corsair 2.1 if it was expandable to 5.1, which I am to understand is totally blown away by the Audioengine gear. If possible, these would all be connected to my Asus Xonar Xense sound card; hopefully I won't need an external amp etc...

To be perfectly honest, i know it will sound strange and kinda stupid a noob like me to give advice to you because i just get invloved into quallity segment of audio, but i would highly recommend Yamaha HS50 before A5 without any single doubt :)

Ahh, thanks for the input. What does anyone think about Hsu HB-1 MK2 as compared to the A5+ ? The only issue I see is that, the Hsu speakers don't seem to have any way to connect via RCA or 3.5mm jacks? Their subs have a LFE 3.5mm jack which is cool, but what is one do to about front pair or back pair analog? I'm guessing this means you absolutely need a receiver of some sort and that a PC sound card is out.

Last edited:
Ye, guess you need a receiver.... im not really an expert as you know, but me and 2 of my freinds when together when i demo the speakers which i listed, and we all 3 agreed that the HS50 blown away all of the other small monitors/spekaers in that price range, they only lost to A3x, which is quite something. Also they are quite powerful, 70W rms and have settings on the back so you can adjust the sound depending from your room acoustic, for that price you get rally alot, its just huge value imho, this settings are not present on the A3x, for example, neither they are powerful as the HS50, they are 50W vs 70W for the HS50, but the A3x won in generall sound quallity but not for big margin, so yes i will strongly recommend the HS50 again, sorry if you didnt ask for the opinion about HS50 in your last question but i got carried away, you should try them out for sure if you can :)

BTW did you notice huge difference with your Xense, before and after? i will buy an STX soon so i would like to know what difference should i expect- compared to onboard atm, my mobo has no PCI slot :( so i sold my D1 sadly..

Ok kinda coming late to the party. Instead of starting a new thread that I know has been done Im sure let me ask here.

$100-$300 speaker set (have dg xonar card) Also would like something that possibly could convert to tv speakers once my tv gets in. I know that being picky at this level is not an option but im just looking for some decent sounding quality speakers.
-gaming
-music
-movies

top 3 recommendations..I'll do the research after that..Im just not sure where to start. Thanks!

some I have seen you all talk about: What sub-woofer would be a decent choice thats not to expensive as well?
M-audio BX5a
M-audio CX5a
av 40 (these are a little cheaper but if these are good I might jump on them)

Last edited:
Back