AudioEngine A2 or A5?

Might be measurable b/c we are talking about the output power of an x-fi. The fact that the signal is split from a weak source like the x-fi means the output could be lower than normal and possibly, but not probably, distorted.

Here is an example of what we are talking about. Sorry for the slow response time. I just had to say "goodbye" to my 18 yr old cat.

http://www.headphone.com/products/cables-and-adaptors/cables-by-others/grado-y-adapter.php
 
How would the splitter work though? Wouldn't you have to turn the sound to off on the speakers every time you want to use the headphones? And wouldnt the headphones be outputting sound all the time.
 
I'm about to buy a M-audio AV40 or Audioengine A2, which would be the better choice? They are around the same price in Canada.
 
How would the splitter work though? Wouldn't you have to turn the sound to off on the speakers every time you want to use the headphones? And wouldnt the headphones be outputting sound all the time.

That's the smallest of several reasons why a splitter sucks for this.
 
Yeah. We never said it was a good idea. Just that it works. Hold on though.

What he needs is a cheap pre-amp. If you have $150 or so the zero is an easy choice.
 
Or get a receiver and a pair of unpowered speakers instead. This gives you a headphone amp too.
 
Or just hook up the front-panel audio connectors from your case to your X-Fi? If you've got it set up right, you plug the headphones there and the card mutes the rear output (speakers). If your case doesn't have any, or has the wrong kind (AC97 vs IntelHD, I forget which the X-Fi uses) you can always retrofit it easily/cheap. Probably easier than trying to re-configure the pin-out of one to the other... Though I think Maximum PC had an article on that a few months ago.
 
Front-panel connectors are notoriously noisy unless you spend a good deal of time routing the cable so that it doesn't pass by any major EMI sources (like the power supply and graphics cards).

Just go with the method I described earlier. It's cheap, fairly simple and won't affect sound quality.
 
It shouldn't be that hard to route the cable away from EMI sources even on a cramped case... You can usually just place the sound card on the last slot down on the mobo and run the cable straight to the front of the case... Well, if the connectors are on the middle/bottom of the case anyway, if they're up top you're probably screwed in that regard.

An extender as you suggested is definitely simpler overall if you don't mind switching it manually though, and it'll always work regardless of case/sound card config.
 
Front panel of an x-fi, except for their first gen, sucks complete and total donkey ball sacks.

Either get a Pre-amp, receiver or do it manually. That is all I can think of atm. Might come up with something after I sleep.
 
Good news. I used my cm stackers front connect and looked up x-fi extreme music sound pins. At first I connected pins 2 and 4. I got sound from my iphone earbuds but after connecting my hd595 I noticed base was missing and it sounded weak. I tried r-let and r-let and same thing. After I realized I didn't have ground plugged in.

After connect ground/l/r pins I get perfect beefy headphone sound the same as I would if I plugged my headphones into the old inspire receiver. There is no electrical noise since my psu and gpu are at the bottom (reverse atx). The only thing is that my speakers dont mute when I plug headphones in the front but that is not the problem since I can simply mute the speakers. Cheers
 
It turns out I bought the A2 instead of the A5 (that'll teach me to use paypal and just click next). That being said I am pleasantly surprised how much better these sound over my insprie 5200 (the notes are clear and crisp now and no longer washed out. The base surprised me as well, I did not expect it to be able to shake my desk/floor). Gonna keep these for now and if I need more will re-order.
107kzs6.jpg
 
Wow, your monitor dwarves those speakers! But they do look great.

What keyboard is that btw?
 
Microsoft sidewinder x6 with numpad de-atached (I got the keyboard just for the volume knob and the old ibm feel of key response).
 
Hi,

I've been reading these thread for a days and im impressed on the reviews of Audioengine A2. Im planning to buy this speaker or the Swan M10 which is cheaper around 100 bucks. But my problem with M10 is you can't separate the sub on the floor, so im thinking if A2 + Daytona sub is the best combo for my setup? Also, what cable do I need to connect the Daytona sub into A2? lastly, which soundcard is the best for my setup? Im looking forward to [H] members and spaceman blessings:)

-battlestar
 
Hi,

I've been reading these thread for a days and im impressed on the reviews of Audioengine A2. Im planning to buy this speaker or the Swan M10 which is cheaper around 100 bucks. But my problem with M10 is you can't separate the sub on the floor, so im thinking if A2 + Daytona sub is the best combo for my setup? Also, what cable do I need to connect the Daytona sub into A2? lastly, which soundcard is the best for my setup? Im looking forward to [H] members and spaceman blessings:)

-battlestar

the best soundcard would be the most expensive one... so you need to tell us your budget.
 
Hmm... I would lean hard into the Prelude, especially if you don't mind rebates. Otherwise... The Creative X-Fi cards are relatively solid... much better than onboard anyways. Titanium would be fine?
 
man if your going A2 and a sub, IMHO get the A5's bro!

trust me you don't even need a sub on these, the bass is incredibly great for these two speakers.
 
LOL. Oh. That's funny hahaha. Well, the D2X is a great sound card, especially with that rebate. But the Prelude also has a rebate AND it is an X-Fi card. Therefore, it supports gaming alot better by supporting EAX.
 
That's the term Asus uses to describe the 1/8" stereo to RCA Y cable.
Thanks buddy :)

LOL. Oh. That's funny hahaha. Well, the D2X is a great sound card, especially with that rebate. But the Prelude also has a rebate AND it is an X-Fi card. Therefore, it supports gaming alot better by supporting EAX.
X-Fi card is nice but im afraid it won't fit on my mATX (Asus P5E-VM) mobo coz my ATI4850 occupies 3 PCI slot due to Accelero HSF + Fan :(
 
Ok, I think i'll go with Prelude. If I use the 3.5mm from the Prelude to the A2, would that still carry good(?) audio signals? Any recommendations what connection should I use?
 
You need to use an RCA. If the 3.5" is an RCA, that's good. The RCA caries analog while digital SPDIF/optical does not. You need your connection to carry analog because your soundcard will have converted digital to analog. From that point on, you need an analog carrying connection.
 
You need to use an RCA. If the 3.5" is an RCA, that's good. The RCA caries analog while digital SPDIF/optical does not. You need your connection to carry analog because your soundcard will have converted digital to analog. From that point on, you need an analog carrying connection.

Thanks Alai, my A2's arrived today :). Currently connected to onboard sound using minijack. I think I've got the old version of A2's (black piano color), I've found on their website that the new version have some Audioengine logo and name on the front speaker. It doesn't matter to me as long as the sound output is the same :)
 
Back
Top