Audio Upgrading questions

digitalman

2[H]4U
Joined
Jul 6, 2001
Messages
3,728
Right now I have an Audigy 1 Platinum. I just upgraded my motherboard that has PCIe on it. Should upgrade it now or wait for the PCIe sound cards to come out. If I upgrade now what is the performance difference between the X-Fi and the Audigy 2 ZS?
 
PCIe cards are not really in the works if I remember. PCI seems to do just fine. I'd future proof your sound card and just go with the X-Fi. A few more bells and whistles than the A2.
 
digitalman said:
Right now I have an Audigy 1 Platinum. I just upgraded my motherboard that has PCIe on it. Should upgrade it now or wait for the PCIe sound cards to come out. If I upgrade now what is the performance difference between the X-Fi and the Audigy 2 ZS?



better DAC's on the X-Fi. My favorite feature is the CMSS-3D, which adds alot of soundstage to headphones...
 
If you're a gamer, just get the X-fi. If you're an audiophile (someone who listens critically to music, has experience with numerous bits of high-end equipment, and someone that is a perfectionist in the sound market), then go for a dedicated DAC. There is one thing that I think a dedicated DAC should do well: eliminate interference with the rest of your PC components / power cables.
 
rayman2k2 said:
better DAC's on the X-Fi. My favorite feature is the CMSS-3D, which adds alot of soundstage to headphones...

the upgraded DAC's only appy to the Elite Pro version, correct?
 
Back
Top