• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Audio Upgrade

debrain

Weaksauce
Joined
Apr 1, 2004
Messages
126
Recently Ive decided to upgrade my audio on my computer. This includes sound card, headphones, and speakers.

Heres what I came up with so far. Being in college I dont have a huge budget to spend on but I want to atleast make this stuff worth the money and last me throughout college.

Speakers:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16836121119

Sound Card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16829120103

Headphones:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16826106346

This are mainly going to be used for Gaming and Music. Ive read on here that the Chaintech sound card is good for music but not sure on games. All I have is onboard audio and never really comparded it against a decent sound card.

If you have any other suggestions then feel free to do so.
 
since ur on a tight budget id just get a sound card and a pair of headphones or speakers not speakers and headphones
 
Narius said:
since ur on a tight budget id just get a sound card and a pair of headphones or speakers not speakers and headphones

I agree. The soundcard is fine and get a better pair of headphones instead of wasting money on speakers.
 
Narius said:
since ur on a tight budget id just get a sound card and a pair of headphones or speakers not speakers and headphones

I thought about that but sometimes I just get tired of headphones and use speakers. Plus its nice to have music playing in your room while doing other stuff.
 
I don't think anything in the price range you're suggesting can be an upgrade for anything. Don't even think about upgrading unless you've got at least $75-100 stashed somewhere for a single dedicated component. That's where the value kicks in for headphones at least.

Edit: As a side note, you can save up money by eating ramen instead of good food for a week -- you'd be surprised at how much you can save. :)
 
Well I dont have any headphones at all so any headphones is an upgrade for me.

Yeah the ramen noodles are a money saving thing but the beer kills me each week.
 
hiredgun2112 said:
the speakers and soundcard dont seem too bad for a really tight budget

The soundcard is fine -- it's actually a good investment if you're planning on getting a DAC later on.

The speakers, what would that be an upgrade from?
 
debrain said:
but the beer kills me each week.
Either go for a $10 case of beer or a cheap liquor(I suggest ten high whiskey 14.99 for a 1.75L), you don't need quality alcohol in college.

Also if you have on board sound I would stick with that for a while a put that money towards one of the others.
 
dandragonrage said:
Correction: wasting money on computer speakers, as none of them are worth a damn.

Klipsch are pretty good. I agree though a cheap reciever with a digital amp and some descent speakers will beat a pair of computer speakers everytime.
 
dandragonrage said:
Correction: wasting money on computer speakers, as none of them are worth a damn.
Wow, guess you never figured out to properly setup a pair eh? =P (prepares for flame)

Seriously, you can be snobbish about computer speakers, but they do the job. Not to mention, when your computer den and your home theatre are in two different locations in your home, who really wants to buy another home theatre setup for the computer room? And for the record, I own a decent Denon/Klipsch reference series set so I do know the difference between PC speakers and home theatre. :)

Back to the topic at hand, what is the environment this is going into? Bedroom? Dorm? If so, headphones and a good soundcard are primary, and desktop speakers are secondary in the concern's department.

-E
 
MrE said:
Wow, guess you never figured out to properly setup a pair eh? =P (prepares for flame)

Seriously, you can be snobbish about computer speakers, but they do the job. Not to mention, when your computer den and your home theatre are in two different locations in your home, who really wants to buy another home theatre setup for the computer room? And for the record, I own a decent Denon/Klipsch reference series set so I do know the difference between PC speakers and home theatre. :)

Back to the topic at hand, what is the environment this is going into? Bedroom? Dorm? If so, headphones and a good soundcard are primary, and desktop speakers are secondary in the concern's department.

-E

Well, the room im going to be using it in will be a fraternity room which is basically a bedroom/dorm.

I dont care to much if they hear it next door but I still wanna listen to music/games at night in my own silence.
 
debrain said:
Well, the room im going to be using it in will be a fraternity room which is basically a bedroom/dorm.

I think thats a good reason to save for some descent speakers but if you don't have room for a proper setup then it might not even be worth it. You might want a 2.0 system instead of 2.1 so you don't hear just the booming bass around the house.
 
benamaster said:
I think thats a good reason to save for some descent speakers but if you don't have room for a proper setup then it might not even be worth it. You might want a 2.0 system instead of 2.1 so you don't hear just the booming bass around the house.

Thats why I wanted to get a 2.1 system was for the boomy bass and just speakers in general.
 
debrain said:
Thats why I wanted to get a 2.1 system was for the boomy bass and just speakers in general.

All you wanted was boomy bass? Any system can give you that. I'll sell you my 2.1 -- if you turn the sub to max, it gets boomy. :)
 
Cyrilix said:
All you wanted was boomy bass? Any system can give you that. I'll sell you my 2.1 -- if you turn the sub to max, it gets boomy. :)


Well not just that but ok sounding speakers.
 
Back
Top