Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 Headphone Review @ [H]

Ok I have the A700s in my hands right now. sound quality is close they are a little "bright" in the high frequencies. As far as fit they do fit tighter and are hotter but not much more then the AD700. A person with a 7- 71/2 head should have no problems with fit.

Ok I have the A700s in my hands right now. sound quality is close they are a little "bright" in the high frequencies. As far as fit they do fit tighter and are hotter but not much more then the AD700. A person with a 7- 71/2 head should have no problems with fit.

Thanks, exactly what i needed to know :)

Just got my hands on a set of these

I thought my sennheiser PC-160's were great, but these totally destroy those. The music is so clear and clean.
I listen to all types of music from zen to techno to triphop to light classical to rock to rap to easy listening.

I have these babies at 100% defaults on a XFI Titanium PCI-E and these things are perfect even at 67% volume out of 100%.
Thanks to the forum for recommending such a great set in my previous posts.

============================================================================================================================================
I was curious which would truly sound better so I picked up two headsets.
1x War of Worldcraft Wireless *I could care less about branding, but I planned on using the blue sides (Never played WoW in my life * Wireless sold me)
1x Audio Technica's AD700's and 1x XFI Titanium for gaming.

I opened the ATH AD-700's and was immediately impressed, I still have the WoW headset sealed in box ready to be returned to best buy.

Downside - I had to make quite a trip to get my hands on these AD700's since no one locally carried this brand, but a music shop 50 miles away lol.

Last edited:
Hard OCP crew, thanks for the great review. I just got my ATHAD700 set yesterday and so far I'm really enjoying it in MW2.

My one gripe is that its a little loose fitting on my head. My Turtle Beach HPX were a bit tighter. I think these do a better job of doing surround sound with my Astro Mixamp than the Turtle Beach set.

People with smaller heads than my big melon spoke of the size issue. One person told me that he wound a simple rubber band between the two "wings" and it tightened the fit up a bit. Sounds silly but for the great sound of these cans, it may be worth it.

I brought my set to my sixty-five year old mother yesterday, and she absolutely loves their sound with country and classic rock! I never thought I would convert her over but yes I did.

Cheers

Got my A700 about a two-weeks ago. The sound is huge step above my Plantronics Gamecom 367 headset while not pinching my glasses to my head or giving me that irritating itch. I cannot even conceive the idea of going back to my old headset now.

That seems to be the consensus when a quality set of cans is used. I am really glad you like those and I use mine every night after the wife goes to bed! :)

That seems to be the consensus when a quality set of cans is used. I am really glad you like those and I use mine every night after the wife goes to bed! :)

wait a minute....after your wife goes to bed you are on your headphones _every_night_?

Sell your headphones and invest in some flowers & jewelry my man ;)

After I get up in the wee hours to do some gaming brother! First things first.......then gaming comes later.......

Got mine yesterday. I've got a small head so these are a bit big for me, but a simple mod fixed it rite up.

Sound is great, and great price on amazon too.

Just ordered mine from BeachCamera in NJ on eBay. $110 shipped. I'll post back when they arrive :)

Ah no the AD700. You got a good price on the A700 if that's what you ordered.

Yea, came today too (next day). Just finished The Dark Knight (saw it before, thought it would be nice to "test" these out). Fantastic. My first "real" set of headphones, and they didn't disappoint :)

The only problem you guys might run in to with these headphones, is that the ear pads wear out a little too quickly, mine within a year and a half. I replaced mine with real leather ear pads designed for a different set in the same class of headphones.

Mine are still good as new after 6 months of heavy use.

Last edited:
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Blew out the left driver on mine last night. Dang, 7 months broken in too, I had those things bangin. :D buahahaha

I want to express my thanks for this and the other reviews here on [H]. I ended up getting the ATH-AD700 based mainly on the info here (and the Xonar Essence STX to power it) and am quite content.

Again, thanks to the reviewer(s) and posters here!

So how does the sound of the ATH-A700 compare to these open headphones? I understand that there is more base, but what about the rest of the sound stage?

the sound stage is very wide and natural sounding in an open backed set. There is also extremely good separation of each musical instrument that can be heard and perceived.

Sorry I guess I worded my question poorly. I have not been able to find many detailed reviews on the closed style headphones, the A700's and I am wondering if they sound just as good as the ones reviewed [H]ere, the AD700's, but with more bass.

That is what you will find. I have been using a JVC closed back set of late and I found they are really great for the price, have great natural bass, but still maintain a good sound stage.

That is what you will find. I have been using a JVC closed back set of late and I found they are really great for the price, have great natural bass, but still maintain a good sound stage.
which set?
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

HARX700 for the win. The headphones are extremely affordable on Amazon.com and the mods available are easy to do and worth the time.

Last edited:
I got the AD700s back in April and I absolutely love them. Crisp sound with a very wide soundstage...purely amazing sound! Paired them with an Auzentech X-Fi Forte.

I am going to test both the JVCs and the Audio-Technicas with the new Creative Titanium HD for my upcoming review of the Creative Labs' Titanium HD.

Cant wait.

I am going to test both the JVCs and the Audio-Technicas with the new Creative Titanium HD for my upcoming review of the Creative Labs' Titanium HD.

Cant wait.

I also wouldn't mind seeing a review of the Beyerdynamic DT880's as I have read conflicting reports regarding their gaming prowess, some say they are better than the AD700's, some say they aren't but they also do require amping.

Thanks for the review! Just put on a order with newegg for my brother's 18th birthday next Thursday. Went ahead and got the Zalman mic to put on the cord too from Amazon.

well XBanzai, let us know what you think after you test them out.

Try many different genres of music as well as games. You will really be surprised.

Back