Audio-Technica ATH-A900X (or AD900) Headphones $128 @Buydig w/V.me

If you want the best sound open are reportedly the best for over all audio quality.

Not really. That all depends on so much its not even remotely possible to make a claim like that.

It will be more than a slight upgrade. I used to have the a900's and I will tell you now, any headset you get for gaming that has a microphone on there for around 150-200 will be garbage compared to these sets. Since the steel series ayou have is an 80 dollars headset, you will be astonished tat the difference..
Haha, I know. I was being "slightly" sarcastic.

One word of advice to anyone buying audiophile headpohones...YOU HAVE TO BURN THEM IN!. Do not just plug them in and take what you first hear as the final form of audio from the headphones. You literally need to leave the headphones on and just playing either burn in tracks or random music for 50-100 hours before the drivers full burn in. Once they do, they sound simply phenomenal..
Yep, I even did that for my S4s. Looking forward to having the A900X in my possession.

Not really. That all depends on so much its not even remotely possible to make a claim like that.

I'd say it's pretty close universal when it comes to headphones. If you list the top tier headphones, it's a majority of open headphones. It seems like from an audio engineering standpoint, open headphones may be easier to build/control. This isn't always the case, but most manufacturers on the market make their signature headphones open (ex. Senn HD800, Grado PS1000, STAX O2, Beyerdynamic T1 vs. Ultrasone edition 8, Audio Technica W5000)

Haha, I know. I was being "slightly" sarcastic.

Yep, I even did that for my S4s. Looking forward to having the A900X in my possession.

Phew...Ok Cool. I get upset when people plug in these babies or other high end headphones first run and say they are meh. When I got my old a900's...At first I was "these are pretty decent..." Once they burned in, It was just mind orgasmic =O.

But yea, any high end headphones need a burn in. But when they do...Man, you're in for a treat ^_^.

Phew...Ok Cool. I get upset when people plug in these babies or other high end headphones first run and say they are meh. When I got my old a900's...At first I was "these are pretty decent..." Once they burned in, It was just mind orgasmic =O.

But yea, any high end headphones need a burn in. But when they do...Man, you're in for a treat ^_^.

Brand new drivers do need a few hours to loosen up and reach full excursion-however, this is usually done at the factory long before consumers receive the product. I also believe that the characteristics of a new driver are refined within the first 50-100 hours of operation-however, the differences are extremely subtle and barely discernible to most listeners. More than likely, you are actually "burning" the sound signature into your brain-it takes time for the mind to fully process new sounds. The continual improvement you are hearing overtime is just you getting more and more used to the specific sound signature of the headphones.

TLDR: don't think too much into burn in, just enjoy your damn headphones.

Just received my ATH-900X today and I like what I'm hearing. I really like how well this fits my large head, and they don't feel heavy at all. Time to look into headphone amps!

My AD900s arrived today.

These are super light weight, comfortable and made in Japan.

Compared to my AD700s these look alot cleaner and feel lighter. They look like they are slightly smaller. They fit my head very good.

That Crystalize/Dubstep youtube link above sounds super clean, balanced and WIDE.

Will be burning them in gradually with lots of gaming and music. I'm very pleased with them so far and I don't anticipate any problems from them. They sound great right now without any burn in time.

Thanks again to the OP for posting this deal.

Last edited:
Finally received A900X, but such a bummer I haven't even gotten to try it out yet :( Can't wait to see how well it is over my Logitech g35!

A bit off topic, but any reccomendations for an affordable/decent mic to go with my headset? I've been so used to just buying a headset that already comes with a mic. Would this be alright? http://www.amazon.com/Zalman-Zm-Mic...Microphone/dp/B00029MTMQ/ref=pd_bxgy_e_text_y

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Finally received A900X, but such a bummer I haven't even gotten to try it out yet :( Can't wait to see how well it is over my Logitech g35!

A bit off topic, but any reccomendations for an affordable/decent mic to go with my headset? I've been so used to just buying a headset that already comes with a mic. Would this be alright? http://www.amazon.com/Zalman-Zm-Mic...Microphone/dp/B00029MTMQ/ref=pd_bxgy_e_text_y

Thats been the go to clip on mic for a lot of people for many many years.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I bit on the AD900s. Best price I have seen for them. I considered buying them last year when I bought some AD700s which I love for gaming and music.

Going to give the AD700s to a girl friend. :)

Thanks OP.

How do these compare to the AD700s? I have the 700s and really like them but want to know if this is a worthy upgrade.

How do these compare to the AD700s? I have the 700s and really like them but want to know if this is a worthy upgrade.

They sound better and look better and feel like they are better made.

Both are really good. I like the AD700s alot and I am sure I will like these alot as well. My AD700s went to a girlfriend and I was able to get the AD900s. For the money I think the AD900s is a good deal at this price.

The AD900s to me are clearly head and shoulders above the AD700s.

Bit on the deal. Just received the A900xs!

These things are big... but they sound very nice.

Anyone have a recommendation on a case that fits them?

Damn, ATH AD900... I missed your soundstage... I love the power of my Denon D7000 but the soundstage is awesome on these ATH AD900.

Despite my ear itching problem with the AD900 I tried, last year, I went ahead and bought another pair. $130 was an incredible deal for a new AD900, considering I paid $220 for them before. These are supposed to be great gaming cans, so it's worth taking another chance.

Got them Saturday. No itching, so far. If it returns, I'll list them in the FS thread.

FWIW, the box said made in Japan on the top corner. Someone mentioned that production on newer AT cans had been moved to China and the quality might not be as good as units built in Japan.

I recall reading that as well, but found no proof that they were ever made in China. Mine, for what it is worth, also has the "Made in Japan" on the top right corner of the box and also just under the left wing clip on the Headphones.

Got mine over the weekend, I did the rubber band mod for fitment i read over at headfi. Fits perfectly now and extremely comfortable. Had them on for 5-6 hours first use and didnt have any discomfort at all. Sound quality out of the box is amazing and could not ask for more. Some people say that these lack bass, but to my surprise, these actually have tons of bass. They have as much bass as my girlfriends beats studios. I dont have these connected to any external dac or amp, just my old sound blaster audigy 2 and it sounds awesome.

Despite my ear itching problem with the AD900 I tried, last year, I went ahead and bought another pair. $130 was an incredible deal for a new AD900, considering I paid $220 for them before. These are supposed to be great gaming cans, so it's worth taking another chance.

Got them Saturday. No itching, so far. If it returns, I'll list them in the FS thread.

FWIW, the box said made in Japan on the top corner. Someone mentioned that production on newer AT cans had been moved to China and the quality might not be as good as units built in Japan.

I recall reading that as well, but found no proof that they were ever made in China. Mine, for what it is worth, also has the "Made in Japan" on the top right corner of the box and also just under the left wing clip on the Headphones.

It's the newer models that are now being made in china-the AD900x, for example. The older AD900s and 700s are still made in japan as far as I know.

I'm thinking of purchasing these for my office for long-term listening, can anyone comment on the comfort of these things over long listening periods?

I work 10-12 hours a day and I'd like a little bit of isolation, and a minimum of sound leakage so as not to disturb my co-workers. I have what my wife describes as an "average-shaped head." It seems that the people most likely to enjoy the wing tip system are people with larger heads.

I'm thinking of purchasing these for my office for long-term listening, can anyone comment on the comfort of these things over long listening periods?

I work 10-12 hours a day and I'd like a little bit of isolation, and a minimum of sound leakage so as not to disturb my co-workers. I have what my wife describes as an "average-shaped head." It seems that the people most likely to enjoy the wing tip system are people with larger heads.

I have the AD700 and the A900x. In terms of comfort, I prefer the AD700 with its velour pads but for isolation, I can't hear my kids scream with the A900x (awesome!!). The A900x is heavier though so you will feel the weight of it. I'm 5'10" and both of them fit me fine. I'm not sure if I have a big head or not. I would suggest finding a local shop that has them to try them on.

Are these any better than HD600? I will be using my headset only for gaming.

I have been using HD555 for over 5 years. I think I will go with them then.

HD600 costs about $400 vs. $130 for the AD900.

First off, the HD555 sounds nothing like the 600 (the 600 is similar to the 580). Second of all, you're going to need a strong signal chain (including a decent amplifier) in order to extract the full potential from the HD600s. If you don't have the appropriate equipment, don't even bother with the HD600s-they sound weak and disappointing when under-powered/fed by a low quality source. Finally, getting HD600s solely for gaming is incredibly overkill-there are numerous less expensive, easier to drive headphones out there that will do just as good a job.

If you enjoy the sound signature of your HD555, look into the HD598-it is very similar, easy to drive, and quite forgiving when compared to the HD600. Alternatively, the AD900 would be a good choice as well.

Finally, getting HD600s solely for gaming is incredibly overkill-there are numerous less expensive, easier to drive headphones out there that will do just as good a job.

Like the AD900.

Either way, the guy who was asking for a comparison said he was using his headset for gaming... not his headphones.

First off, the HD555 sounds nothing like the 600 (the 600 is similar to the 580). Second of all, you're going to need a strong signal chain (including a decent amplifier) in order to extract the full potential from the HD600s. If you don't have the appropriate equipment, don't even bother with the HD600s-they sound weak and disappointing when under-powered/fed by a low quality source. Finally, getting HD600s solely for gaming is incredibly overkill-there are numerous less expensive, easier to drive headphones out there that will do just as good a job.

If you enjoy the sound signature of your HD555, look into the HD598-it is very similar, easy to drive, and quite forgiving when compared to the HD600. Alternatively, the AD900 would be a good choice as well.

Thank you for your input. I do enjoy the sound of HD555 with X-FI Titanium HD. It has a nice, gentle bass feeling to it. I am not sure about positing since I did not have a chance to compare to other sets.

Got my A900X over the weekend (had no idea FedEx delivers on Saturdays!) and I love them. In fact:

37607466.jpg

Got my A900X over the weekend (had no idea FedEx delivers on Saturdays!) and I love them. In fact:

FedEx home delivers Tues-Sat.

I bought a pair of A900x's to replace my Shure SRH-840's which I didn't really care for. I like the A900x much more, although they're signiicantly less portable. The box on the A900x says "Japan made," but that might not be the same as "made in Japan."

That about sums it up. Spot on advice right there.

It's the newer models that are now being made in china-the AD900x, for example.

That certainly is interesting. I wonder if this was all a rumor started because of the AD900x being named similar to the A900x / AD900? I really hope no one here jumped the gun on this deal thinking they were getting the more expensive AD900X by mistake.

I got my A900X last week and have been using them every day since then. I previously had the ATH-M50 but found they would clamp down on my head so bad that my jaw would start twitching after an hour's worth of use. One thing became very clear the moment I slapped them on and that was that the M50 sounded like it had NO sound stage by comparison. The bass on these is just as pronounced as the M50 coming out of my Titanium HD.

What I would have really liked to have gotten to go along with these would have been this. I have read that people claim they are much more comfortable after the replacement - but I guess I can not complain. Wish I could have found some place that still has them in stock.

I completely missed the part about ATH-AD900X. Are they made in Japan or China? Should I get a pair from ebay (shipped from Japan) or BuyDig?

Last edited:
I completely missed the part about ATH-AD900X. Are they made in Japan or China? Should I get a pair from ebay (shipped from Japan) or BuyDig?

I believe you are mixing up the AD900 and AD900X. Please note that they are different headphones!

The AD900 is the older model that is for sale at BuyDig. It is made in Japan. It is an excellent headphone and a bargain at the $130 price point.

The AD900X is a new headphone that replaces the AD900. It is made in China. It is NOT one of the headphones in the original post of this thread-it is available for about $230. There are reports that the construction has been slightly cheapened with the AD900X, as well as tweaked bass response over the older AD900. I cannot confirm or deny this as I have not seen or heard the AD900X myself.

I have, however, owned 2 separate pairs of AD900 in the past and I can wholeheartedly recommend them-excellent cans, and a no brainer for $130-you should buy them!

That certainly is interesting. I wonder if this was all a rumor started because of the AD900x being named similar to the A900x / AD900? I really hope no one here jumped the gun on this deal thinking they were getting the more expensive AD900X by mistake.

From what I understand, the AD900X is actually a downgrade from the AD900, as far as build quality and origin of manufacturing are concerned. I can't comment on the tonal characteristics, however-like I said, I've heard the AD900X have tweaked bass, but I haven't heard a pair to judge for myself.

Last edited:
I have the AD700 right now and love them.

Would the 900x be a big step up? Might be nice to have some closed phones for bass sometimes as well.

Can someone comment on relative sound quality of A900 (close) A900x (close) AD900 (open) AD700 (open) and HD555 ? I think what I'm seeing in this thread is

A900x > A900 > AD900 > AD900x > AD700 > HD555 ? but this might be too simplistic as sound signature might differ (the A900x has the largest sound stage?)

(I used to have A700 but they fell apart after 5 years; I currently have AD700 which I think are better than the HD555 and A700 from personal experience).
---
Actually I did a little reading on head-fi.org and it seems like it should be:

AD900x > AD900 > A900x > A900 > AD700 > HD555 (even if the AD900x are made in china)

Last edited:
You2: You're asking a question that's almost impossible to answer with any consistency. 10 people would provide 10 different sequences of best to worst for those headphones.

Can someone comment on relative sound quality of A900 (close) A900x (close) AD900 (open) AD700 (open) and HD555 ? I think what I'm seeing in this thread is

A900x > A900 > AD900 > AD900x > AD700 > HD555 ? but this might be too simplistic as sound signature might differ (the A900x has the largest sound stage?)

(I used to have A700 but they fell apart after 5 years; I currently have AD700 which I think are better than the HD555 and A700 from personal experience).
---
Actually I did a little reading on head-fi.org and it seems like it should be:

AD900x > AD900 > A900x > A900 > AD700 > HD555 (even if the AD900x are made in china)

Made in china is not the evil symbol of poor quality people like to make it out to be. These days i would rather have an item made in china than made in America most of the time. Thats speaking as an American production worker.

On top of that its up to the company to manage QA. A company with strict QA with chinese production will put out good stuff.

But all that said its all a matter of opinion but i personally wouldnt rank the 555 so low.

Back