Audio issues Window 10

raglafart

Limp Gawd
I don't know why, but someone has moved my post about all the issues I've had recently with my Windows 10 PC.
It transpires all my criticism of Windows 10 was 100% justified. I was going to post the reply below to finish the topic only to find the whole topic has been moved or removed!?
So after wasting hours. Deleting and reinstalling drivers, re setting sound settings, trying this and trying that with no results and getting more and more frustrated, angry, disappointed. I didn't know if I had a hardware problem. I didn't know if it was a failure of some kind. I had no idea what was going on. So half an hour ago I finally decided to remove a Windows Update #1903
The result;

AT LAST!
it is finally FIXED !!!!!!!!!!!!!

So it turns out, it was indeed a Windows 10 issue 100%. I have just uninstalled the 1903 update and everything now is working correctly.
I just do not understand this situation. I think it's absurd that this can happen. We are now in 2020 this crap just should not happen.
I have wasted so much time on this.
And the knub is, you can't turn off the bloody updates in Win 10. It's criminal!

I don't know why, but someone has moved my post about all the issues I've had recently with my Windows 10 PC.
It transpires all my criticism of Windows 10 was 100% justified. I was going to post the reply below to finish the topic only to find the whole topic has been moved or removed!?
So after wasting hours. Deleting and reinstalling drivers, re setting sound settings, trying this and trying that with no results and getting more and more frustrated, angry, disappointed. I didn't know if I had a hardware problem. I didn't know if it was a failure of some kind. I had no idea what was going on. So half an hour ago I finally decided to remove a Windows Update #1903
The result;

AT LAST!
it is finally FIXED !!!!!!!!!!!!!

So it turns out, it was indeed a Windows 10 issue 100%. I have just uninstalled the 1903 update and everything now is working correctly.
I just do not understand this situation. I think it's absurd that this can happen. We are now in 2020 this crap just should not happen.
I have wasted so much time on this.
And the knub is, you can't turn off the bloody updates in Win 10. It's criminal!

Glad to hear you found a solution. Does the audio work in Windows 7 now, as well? On your Windows 10 1903 set up did you install KB 4549951 before your issue started? If you did did you try uninstalling it to see if the issue went away? KB 4549951 is being investigated by MS as folks have been reporting various problems after it is installed. Uninstalling that update seems to end them. Since you're running Windows 10 Pro have you delayed updates in the Advanced Options area?

Glad to hear you found a solution. Does the audio work in Windows 7 now, as well? On your Windows 10 1903 set up did you install KB 4549951 before your issue started? If you did did you try uninstalling it to see if the issue went away? KB 4549951 is being investigated by MS as folks have been reporting various problems after it is installed. Uninstalling that update seems to end them. Since you're running Windows 10 Pro have you delayed updates in the Advanced Options area?
It is a good idea to delay for 30 days, as well as use GPE to stop auto driver installs.

Hi everyone.
One day! That's all I've had with everything working okay.
I set the delays on updates at 365 days and 30 days

It's all turned to crap again! Pops in anything I view on YouTube or Vimeo and it's now impossible again to use Facebook Video messenger. This is just crazy!

I just checked all the settings and the sound quality has been changed back to 24 bit. I haven't touched a thing since I got everything back up and running.

If I got to my Linux drive no hassles at all.

I'm not going to worry about Win 7 anymore, Microsoft effectively killed Media player on 7 so you have to manually insert every detail of any albums you copy to your system. My PC is really only a JukeBox and a social media connector for me. I don't play games any more. It's all about music for me these days.

I am utterly gob smacked and frustrated by all this. I'm going to try and set up my Linux drive and try running to couple of programs I want through Wine. If that doesn't work I'll run Windows within the Linux drive as a virtual machine. So much sodding wasted time. Thank you so much Microsoft, NOT!

Last edited:
Hi everyone.
One day! That's all I've had with everything working okay.
I set the delays on updates at 365 days and 30 days

It's all turned to crap again! Pops in anything I view on YouTube or Vimeo and it's now impossible again to use Facebook Video messenger. This is just crazy!

I just checked all the settings and the sound quality has been changed back to 24 bit. I haven't touched a thing since I got everything back up and running.

If I got to my Linux drive no hassles at all.

I'm not going to worry about Win 7 anymore, Microsoft effectively killed Media player on 7 so you have to manually insert every detail of any albums you copy to your system. My PC is really only a JukeBox and a social media connector for me. I don't play games any more. It's all about music for me these days.

I am utterly gob smacked and frustrated by all this. I'm going to try and set up my Linux drive and try running to couple of programs I want through Wine. If that doesn't work I'll run Windows within the Linux drive as a virtual machine. So much sodding wasted time. Thank you so much Microsoft, NOT!
If I were you I'd just use the linux. Why bother with Windows? It's only a liability. If you don't play the latest games, linux can do everything you need it to do most likely. Including Windows apps if you just install Wine.

It was already mentioned in your previous thread that the 1903 update changed the way Windows 10 handles audio and broke many older audio drivers in the process. Creative released new drivers for a TON of their cards including some that were ~15 years old. I'm not sure which drivers you were "wasting hours deleting and reinstalling" but the newest Realtek driver for your motherboard on the Asus website dates back to 2016. Re-installing the old driver again and again won't solve the problem when what you need is a post-1903 driver. If your motherboard maker won't update drivers, then you will have to try using generic Realtek drivers. The real solution here is to use an audio solution that has updated drivers.

This 1903 audio driver issue is a casualty of the new Windows release model, where you have a constantly evolving OS instead of releasing an actual new version every few years. Otherwise we would probably be on Windows 11 or 12 by now. It's a shame, but really, the overall driver situation is still quite good. For most hardware, even old Vista 64 drivers still work fine on Windows 10. Improvements sometimes come at the cost of compatibility. While Microsoft does deserve some blame for not making the 1903 audio changes more of a painless process, it should also serve as a reminder of why Realtek is junk. Your motherboard isn't even particularly old yet. You really should still be getting driver updates. Don't blame Microsoft just because Asus and/or Realtek dropped the ball, while other companies managed to come out with new sound drivers for hardware that was over a decade older within a month of the 1903 release.

I don't understand what's going on.
The sound is only poor if I'm viewing something online, ie YouTube, Vimeo, or Facebook Messenger Video. The Facebook Video Messenger is now unusable as the picture freezes and the voice drops out.
If I play music from my Media Player, the sound is perfect, how can there be an issue with the on board sound card in that case?

This is a nightmare

I have now tried for a few days both Windows 7 and Linux Mint 19.3 and I have no problems with audio or using messenger on Facebook, everything works fine on both systems.
The diagnosis has to be that this is a Windows 10 problem. It can't be a hardware failure on my PC that I was fearing. The fact that the drivers as already pointed out are now 4 years old is a worry.
Is it worth refreshing Windows 10 or do I just go for a clean install and go from there? Is a clean install likely to fix anything?

Back